Predictions on airport opening dates?

yogavnture

There are no decisions as yet.

A lot of discussions going on but CAAT and the airport authorities are waiting for the government committee meetings next week.

The likely scenario is that internal flights could restart in May - possibly towards the end of the month when all procedures are worked out, but there will be some restrictions such as no middle seats. Not decided yet if a medical certificate will be needed.

International flights will not resume until both countries accept medical certificates and passengers will have to undergo 14 days of quarantine on arrival.

It was hoped that flights to China and Korea could resume in June, but latest figures from China today and re-infections in Korea are causing a rethink. 

Most likely they will just postpone any decision on international flights for the moment and the CAAT block on incoming passengers will be extended for another 15 days 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deserted said:

Apologies if this sounds like a simple question but from what I read in this thread it contradicts what a friend of mine who lives near Suvanabhumi told me on Wednesday. From this thread I assume its absolutely impossible for me to get a flight and fly off somewhere. For example Shanghai. Would that be correct? If so why does he tell me that he sees the occasional aircraft going over his apartment? There are flights taking off from Suvanabhumi but he can't tell which airline it is or what type of flight it is, maybe for V.I.Ps only or something. 

So is it correct for me to assume that until APril 30th at the earliest, I simply cannot get a flight out of this country?

Have a look at flightradar24 website. Can watch swampy flights and can click on individual aircraft icons and see details such as airline and where from/to. Basically only shows aircraft flying at the time.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2020 at 10:57 AM, crobe said:

There are no decisions as yet.

A lot of discussions going on but CAAT and the airport authorities are waiting for the government committee meetings next week.

The likely scenario is that internal flights could restart in May - possibly towards the end of the month when all procedures are worked out, but there will be some restrictions such as no middle seats. Not decided yet if a medical certificate will be needed.

International flights will not resume until both countries accept medical certificates and passengers will have to undergo 14 days of quarantine on arrival.

It was hoped that flights to China and Korea could resume in June, but latest figures from China today and re-infections in Korea are causing a rethink. 

Most likely they will just postpone any decision on international flights for the moment and the CAAT block on incoming passengers will be extended for another 15 days 

Flights are still arriving and departing so I don't know where you get this information from.  Korean Air, for example, has KE651 in the air just now, and KE652 will return to Seoul later tonight.  Same as it has every day for long enough.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ke651

11 minutes ago, treetops said:

How do these planes flying out get here?

????

Like i get to know myself today. All airplane company whitch flight here empty can load pasenser and flight away! Qatar,KLM etc. have flight out off Thailand. So you can get flight to London,Doha,Frankfurth... and continue there where ever you can. But prices are much bigger than normaly!

Edited by 2 is 1

Just now, 2 is 1 said:

Like i get to know myself today. All airplane company whit flight here empty can load pasenser and flight away! Qatar,KLM etc. have flight out off Thailand.

Yes, and I think they can bring in Thais being repatriated if they satisfy certain conditions.  They also bring in freight, so not a total loss coming in.

On 4/17/2020 at 12:34 PM, Deserted said:

Apologies if this sounds like a simple question but from what I read in this thread it contradicts what a friend of mine who lives near Suvanabhumi told me on Wednesday. From this thread I assume its absolutely impossible for me to get a flight and fly off somewhere. For example Shanghai. Would that be correct? If so why does he tell me that he sees the occasional aircraft going over his apartment? There are flights taking off from Suvanabhumi but he can't tell which airline it is or what type of flight it is, maybe for V.I.Ps only or something. 

So is it correct for me to assume that until APril 30th at the earliest, I simply cannot get a flight out of this country?

https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/flight-status-departures/

There are many flights arriving and departing every day although the options are of course much more limited than normal. You can search flights at sites such as Skyscanner.

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Flights are still arriving and departing so I don't know where you get this information from.  Korean Air, for example, has KE651 in the air just now, and KE652 will return to Seoul later tonight.  Same as it has every day for long enough.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ke651

As has been stated many times by many posters - if you could only bother to read

Flights are still occurring but only for repatriation or for cargo - no scheduled incoming services

Not possible to book these flights as a normal passenger due to the restrictions in place from CAAT.

AirAsia have just confirmed what I said, that they want to restart internal flights in May, but 1st May seems to be a bit optimistic and they still have to wait for the government committee

They will try to restart internal flights also in Malaysia, Indonesia etc, but no international flights as yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, treetops said:

How do these planes flying out get here?

????

Pilots. Wings. Aviation fuel. Only cargo. No inbound passengers. According to Cdn Embassy (BKK) email as of 15 Apr 2020 several carriers still taking passengers out of Thailand (Lufthansa, ANA, KLM, EVA and Qatar). I believe Korean Air also operating though flight schedule has been reduced. 

3 minutes ago, crobe said:

As has been stated many times by many posters - if you could only bother to read

Flights are still occurring but only for repatriation or for cargo - no scheduled incoming services

Not possible to book these flights as a normal passenger due to the restrictions in place from CAAT.

Look two posts up - that's what I said.  The post you quoted was a direct reply to your previous post which was inaccurate.  There are Thais coming home on these scheduled flights up to a maximum of 200/day and being tested/quarantined on arrival.

April 30 for Foreigners with Wives or Children, quarantine at place of residence, dropping the Insurance on arrival and allowing those to stay as long as they like with Wives or Children.

[ edit: According to The Government of Thailand Passenger Flights are stopped from coming in until April 30, while some saying they are allowing 200 a day to come in on Passenger Flights? which makes no sense to me, and if a 14 day Quarantine at 200 a day is quite a few people housed & fed ]

May 12 for travel, but doubt very much bars will be opened anytime soon.

I don't think Booze sales will start anytime soon either, though my wife thinks the Government will allow it soon.

Just a guess of course. 

Edited by SAINT THOMAS

Airlines and airports are awaiting guidelines on possible resumption of flights it will have to be unilateral in nature queuing for check-in/baggage drop, immigration and security, possible keeping every second row free will increase fares surely

Masks and temp checks compulsory long haul might be difficult

I am due to fly back next week but its been cancelled now looking at first week in june.

Its going to get expensive will landing charges be reduced to incentivize tourism I doubt it.

it still a wait and see.

Edited by sameasb4

2 hours ago, SAINT THOMAS said:

April 30 for Foreigners with Wives or Children, quarantine at place of residence, dropping the Insurance on arrival and allowing those to stay as long as they like with Wives or Children.

[ edit: According to The Government of Thailand Passenger Flights are stopped from coming in until April 30, while some saying they are allowing 200 a day to come in on Passenger Flights? which makes no sense to me, and if a 14 day Quarantine at 200 a day is quite a few people housed & fed ]

May 12 for travel, but doubt very much bars will be opened anytime soon.

I don't think Booze sales will start anytime soon either, though my wife thinks the Government will allow it soon.

Just a guess of course. 

Do you have a source for this information?  You have posted inaccurate information previously which is what makes me wonder.  (No offence intended.)  Furthermore you don't mention travellers with work permits which were previously allowed whereas those with family were not.

For general information BA cancelled my rescheduled flight which was due 1/5 and the earliest flights they are now showing are 19/5 via Singapore.

On 4/14/2020 at 1:11 PM, CharlieH said:

Personally, I would think  there will be improvements at the end of this month.

At least it would be nice to see International flight start to resume and thereby International mail services re-opened.

Mail service? The check will be in the mail for a very long time....????????

0239C492-E5C8-4A5B-AF95-45B6ED05823A.jpeg

On 4/14/2020 at 1:11 PM, CharlieH said:

Personally, I would think  there will be improvements at the end of this month.

At least it would be nice to see International flight start to resume and thereby International mail services re-opened.

Been getting international mail from the states on a regular basis so i hasnt stopped on Thailands end. Also getting fedex from the usa and China. 

3 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

Been getting international mail from the states on a regular basis so i hasnt stopped on Thailands end. Also getting fedex from the usa and China. 

Receiving hasnt been stopped thats why. I was talking about outbound.

I think we will see limited flights domestically in May. After that, who knows? It will be a while until there is demand for international flights to Thailand. The tourism industry is going to be decimated here, for the next year, at least. I do not think it will ever recover to it's former levels, and that leaves millions of Thais out of work. 

It is impossible to get a Covid free health letter in the US. So, returning to Thailand would not be possible for the foreseeable future. I usually travel back at least twice per year, but will not be returning until the requirements for a Covid letter are eliminated. How long will that be?

On 4/14/2020 at 1:07 PM, PatOngo said:

Are you offering a prize for the nearest correct answer? ????

There is no question, far less an answer, the airport has never been closed.

Entry restrictions and suspensions around the world have effectively brought air passenger traffic to a standstill, cargo is still moving around the globe at a higher rate than normal.

It will be up to individual countries to determine when their restrictions can be relaxed to any extent, Thailand can only change it's own border controls.

Very unlikely that what was seen as "normal" will return anytime soon, if ever. A lot may depend on what advances are made in the meantime, Emirates have started testing prior to flight.

Personally I would think that we will be into June before there is any significant increase in air passenger traffic.

“The testing process has gone smoothly… We are working on plans to scale up testing capabilities in the future and extend it to other flights, this will enable us to conduct on-site tests and provide immediate confirmation for Emirates passengers travelling to countries that require COVID-19 test certificates,” Adel Al Redha, the chief operating officer for Emirates, said in a statement. “The health and safety of staff and passengers at the airport remain of paramount importance.”

https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlines-airports/emirates-coronavirus-blood-test-passengers-before-flight

On 4/14/2020 at 2:07 PM, PatOngo said:

Are you offering a prize for the nearest correct answer? ????

There is no question, far less an answer, the airport has never been closed.

Entry restrictions and suspensions around the world have effectively brought air passenger traffic to a standstill, cargo is still moving around the globe at a higher rate than normal.

It will be up to individual countries to determine when their restrictions can be relaxed to any extent, Thailand can only change it's own border controls.

Very unlikely that what was seen as "normal" will return anytime soon, if ever. A lot may depend on what advances are made in the meantime, Emirates have started testing prior to flight.

Personally I would think that we will be into June before there is any significant increase in air passenger traffic.

“The testing process has gone smoothly… We are working on plans to scale up testing capabilities in the future and extend it to other flights, this will enable us to conduct on-site tests and provide immediate confirmation for Emirates passengers travelling to countries that require COVID-19 test certificates,” Adel Al Redha, the chief operating officer for Emirates, said in a statement. “The health and safety of staff and passengers at the airport remain of paramount importance.”

https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlines-airports/emirates-coronavirus-blood-test-passengers-before-flight

A yes or no answer would have been sufficient!

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I think we will see limited flights domestically in May. After that, who knows? It will be a while until there is demand for international flights to Thailand. The tourism industry is going to be decimated here, for the next year, at least. I do not think it will ever recover to it's former levels, and that leaves millions of Thais out of work. 

It is impossible to get a Covid free health letter in the US. So, returning to Thailand would not be possible for the foreseeable future. I usually travel back at least twice per year, but will not be returning until the requirements for a Covid letter are eliminated. How long will that be?

The requirement for a negative test and insurance to cover Covid 19 was dropped for a fit to fly certificate just before they closed the borders. When they allow flights again there will be a new set of requirements which may or may not require a negative test. However yes I agree with you, same in the UK, impossible to get a covid free health letter. I am in the reverse situation to you. I am in Thailand since October and was due to fly home to the UK for a few months in May. My flight with BA has been cancelled, so I am resheduling until July. One thing I have done though is to take out Covid 19 health insurance here in Thailand. 840 baht for the year. 1 million baht serious illness coverage and 100k baht in hospital treatment, a bargain. Will also serve me well if Covid insurance is a requirement to re enter the country.

Personally, i don't think many countries will open again,, until their economy has been completely destroyed. This seems to be what is going on with this fake, preplanned, fakedemic.  All world wars were planned years in advance, and this is the "silent war" we have heard about for years now. Not a shot fired and the whole world has submitted to this flu/cold cough. Most deaths have been older people over 70, unless they had other medical issues, then their death was automatically counted as a Covit 19.  They could stop this pandemic any day, just by stop counting those who death had nothing to do with this covit 19. And then they will stop having 33 new cases everyday. Yeah, you see how the number "33" is everywhere? Its a FreeMason term, meaning the 1/3 of the fallen Angels from Heaven. Its like their Calling Card.

Australia sending repatriation flight departing 25th April from Bangkok. They would not be doing this if commercial flights would be available any time soon

I've had 2 flights canceled and am happy they were as now oz is talking international flights for citizens will be banned until 2021!

3 hours ago, jimn said:

The requirement for a negative test and insurance to cover Covid 19 was dropped for a fit to fly certificate just before they closed the borders. When they allow flights again there will be a new set of requirements which may or may not require a negative test. However yes I agree with you, same in the UK, impossible to get a covid free health letter. I am in the reverse situation to you. I am in Thailand since October and was due to fly home to the UK for a few months in May. My flight with BA has been cancelled, so I am resheduling until July. One thing I have done though is to take out Covid 19 health insurance here in Thailand. 840 baht for the year. 1 million baht serious illness coverage and 100k baht in hospital treatment, a bargain. Will also serve me well if Covid insurance is a requirement to re enter the country.

where can you buy this?