COVID 19 Opinion Poll/Survey

Skeptic7

COVID 19   

251 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

So young healthy people who are asymptomatic give the virus to older people who go serious/critical, fill up ICU's, with some dying . This is acceptable to you is it

Happens daily with flus

You must have missed the last 100 years

Cherry picking lefties these days

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

So young healthy people who are asymptomatic give the virus to older people who go serious/critical, fill up ICU's, with some dying . This is acceptable to you is it? By the way, what percentage of the entire world's population do you think would have one or more underlying health conditions. I have two and have had these my entire life. Don't believe the figures. Boon Vanuson (sp?) head of Thonburi Healthcare Group now saying that some hospital ICU's in BKK, including university hospitals are full and there are no more respirators. Also says actual numbers of infected could be as many as 200,000. Bangkok Post. You should also look at the figures now coming out of China. These are still more than likley understated. 

Of course i have empathy for elders with health conditions, and i can understand their will to stay alive.

I read an interview with an Italian doctor, btw, he said that critical patients who need a respirator, have 80% chances of not making it. Not sure if i should believe it, but that's it.

I had pneumonia when i was 21, and i know how horrible it feels, but i think i would rather die quietly at home than prolong my agony in ICU.

My point is very simple, and i may be wrong, but i would hate to see millions die of starvation and killing each other for some food, there must be millions right now who are desperate to feed themselves and their children.

Stay safe.

• Like 2

Just add COVID to the list of <deleted> diseases that can kill you and maybe a bit quicker.

More deaths in the world from other virus/flues/road accidents etc. IMO, shut down was due to that fact that the medical systems couldn't handle this kind of breakout, with a mass influx of patience. I look at it this way..if ya times up, ya times up. To me this is a population check. If you get it and survive it , congrats. If you get it and done make it, condolences to family and loved ones. 

I think their is more to this than we all know, but we will never find out exactly what happened or why it happened, lots of opinions and theories, but I will just sit back and watch/read with amusement or maybe awe??

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Using words like doth not an argument make.

Well..I am a true conservative (not in the American politicized sense of the word) and I have been a member of medical teams that treated disease entities on Bougainville,Choiseul,Guadalcanal and Aceh province,Indonesia.I have also been an observer during a cholera outbreak in a railway town north of Mumbai..

I find you extremely perseverative and (as you yourself admit) lacking in any form of academic/medical qualifications on this matter.

Therefore I am a firm supporter of Sheryl's posts on this subject as she presents a far more balanced and intellectually nuanced point of view rather than your ideologically driven simplistic dualistic one.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Well it's just not a Western thing anymore..no doubt due to becoming over used to them in World Wars 1 and 2.

Some Asian populations are far more used to wearing them now due to pollution.

As you know,i live in an Australian town which has a significant Asian population and I did a casual straw poll the other day.

About 99% of white Australians and kooris were not wearing masks.

About 80% of the Asian Australians were doing so.

I believe Asians are more social because they are forced to live in close proximity to each other, and submit to authority more easily    , where westerners are more individualistic and less willing to submit to authority.  Both attitudes have their own survival value, but in this instance the Asiatic attitude is more conducive towards a positive outcome 

China 1,4 billion people  4642 reported deaths 

USA  328 million people 34642 reported  deaths 

Now I realise that the Chinese deaths are probably underreported but even if they were double .......

This might be the inflection point in the dominance between the two cultures. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Happens daily with flus

Please you are not saying this is just like the flu are you? If you are you may be the last person in world to say this. Seasonal flu doesn't overrun ICU's. Seasonal flu doesn't attack multiple organs. This isn't the flu.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, sirineou said:

China 1,4 billion people  4642 reported deaths 

USA  328 million people 34642 reported  deaths 

Now I realise that the Chinese deaths are probably underreported but even if they were double

They why even note it? We all know the Chinese are self serving, non-transparent communists who are actually removing their covid information from the internet. It makes anything they report unbelievable. 

But I agree, if you bring in the jackboots with rifles and forcefully lock people down you could probably slow the spread substantially, but I don't think anyone would be ok with that. 

55 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Happens daily with flus

Not often I come across a combination of a red herring and an ad hominem argument.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I believe Asians are more social because they are forced to live in close proximity to each other, and submit to authority more easily    , where westerners are more individualistic and less willing to submit to authority.  Both attitudes have their own survival value, but in this instance the Asiatic attitude is more conducive towards a positive outcome 

Possibly so...although I think that the "individualistic" bit is often overstated-I sometimes substitute the word "narcissistic" instead...

I have certainly been impressed by the amount of "social glue" I have observed amongst some Asian cultures wheras there is very little of this in the West except in more recently arrived migrant cultures..and that does diminish over time.

Nevertheless I have certainly been impressed by the "Dunkirk" spirit on display as the UK gets behind Captain Tom Moore and have been equally impressed by the "Tobruk" spirit being displayed by my fellow Australians-they seem quieter,better mannered and less given to agressive rancour at the moment-long may that last..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

Well..I am a true conservative (not in the American politicized sense of the word) and I have been a member of medical teams that treated disease entities on Bougainville,Choiseul,Guadalcanal and Aceh province,Indonesia.I have also been an observer during a cholera outbreak in a railway town north of Mumbai..

I find you extremely perseverative and (as you yourself admit) lacking in any form of academic/medical qualifications on this matter.

Therefore I am a firm supporter of Sheryl's posts on this subject as she presents a far more balanced and intellectually nuanced point of view rather than your ideologically driven simplistic dualistic one.

So you like promoting drugs to people. Up to you. I'd rather listen to the good doctors out there.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Please you are not saying this is just like the flu are you? If you are you may be the last person in world to say this. Seasonal flu doesn't overrun ICU's. Seasonal flu doesn't attack multiple organs. This isn't the flu.

You are making claims not backed up by real stats.

Real stats are not really available on infections for maybe 6 months.

• Sad 1

Fear of Covid-19 is based on its high estimated case fatality rate — 2% to 4% of people with confirmed Covid-19 have died, according to the World Health Organization and others. So if 100 million Americans ultimately get the disease, 2 million to 4 million could die. We believe that estimate is deeply flawed. The true fatality rate is the portion of those infected who die, not the deaths from identified positive cases."

"The latter rate is misleading because of selection bias in testing. The degree of bias is uncertainbecause available data are limited. But it could make the difference between an epidemic that kills 20,000 and one that kills 2 million. If the number of actual infections is much larger than the number of cases—orders of magnitude larger—then the true fatality rate is much lower as well. That’s not only plausible but likely based on what we know so far."

https://fsi.stanford.edu/news/coronavirus-deadly-they-say

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

So you like promoting drugs to people. Up to you. I'd rather listen to the good doctors out there.

4 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Please note that in regards to your posts I have dropped the word "repetitive" and am using the word "perseverative" instead.There is a world of difference in meaning between the two..

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Please note that in regards to your posts I have dropped the word "repetitive" and am using the word "perseverative" instead.There is a world of difference in meaning between the two..

That's nice. Good luck.

13 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

You are making claims not backed up by real stats.

Real stats are not really available on infections for maybe 6 months.

How about post mortom. How about blood work? There is stacks of evidence.

The Rules:

1. Basically, you can't leave the house for any reason, but if you have to, then you can.

2. Masks are useless, but maybe you have to wear one, it can save you, it is useless, but maybe it is mandatory as well.

3. Stores are closed, except those that are open.

4. You should not go to hospitals unless you have to go there. Same applies to doctors, you should only go there in case of emergency, provided you are not too sick.

5. This virus is deadly but still not too scary, except that sometimes it actually leads to a global disaster.

6. Gloves won't help, but they can still help.

7. Everyone needs to stay HOME, but it's important to GO OUT.

8. There is no shortage of groceries in the supermarket, but there are many things missing when you go there in the evening, but not in the morning. Sometimes.

9. The virus has no effect on children except those it affects.

10. Animals are not affected, but there is still a cat that tested positive in Belgium in February when no one had been tested, plus a few tigers here and there…

11. You will have many symptoms when you are sick, but you can also get sick without symptoms, have symptoms without being sick, or be contagious without having symptoms. Oh, my..

12. In order not to get sick, you have to eat well and exercise, but eat whatever you have on hand and it's better not to go out, well, but no…

13. It's better to get some fresh air, but you get looked at very wrong when you get some fresh air, and most importantly, you don't go to parks or walk. But don’t sit down, except that you can do that now if you are old, but not for too long or if you are pregnant (but not too old).

14. You can't go to retirement homes, but you have to take care of the elderly and bring food and medication.

15. If you are sick, you can't go out, but you can go to the pharmacy.

16. You can get restaurant food delivered to the house, which may have been prepared by people who didn't wear masks or gloves. But you have to have your groceries decontaminated outside for 3 hours. Pizza too?

17. Every disturbing article or disturbing interview starts with " I don't want to trigger panic, but…"

18. You can't see your older mother or grandmother, but you can take a taxi and meet an older taxi driver.

19. You can walk around with a friend but not with your family if they don't live under the same roof.

20. You are safe if you maintain the appropriate social distance, but you can’t go out with friends or strangers at the safe social distance.

21. The virus remains active on different surfaces for two hours, no, four, no, six, no, we didn't say hours, maybe days? But it takes a damp environment. Oh no, not necessarily.

22. The virus stays in the air - well no, or yes, maybe, especially in a closed room, in one hour a sick person can infect ten, so if it falls, all our children were already infected at school before it was closed. But remember, if you stay at the recommended social distance, however in certain circumstances you should maintain a greater distance, which, studies show, the virus can travel further, maybe.

23. We count the number of deaths but we don't know how many people are infected as we have only tested so far those who were "almost dead" to find out if that's what they will die of…

24. We have no treatment, except that there may be one that apparently is not dangerous unless you take too much (which is the case with all medications).

25. We should stay locked up until the virus disappears, but it will only disappear if we achieve collective immunity, so when it circulates… but we must no longer be locked up for that?

• Haha 2

Talking to my daughter in the UK yesterday ,she had just gone to the Chemist to pick up a prescription ,cant believe what they have to go through ,after queing for 40 mins she was handed it ,i go to Farcino in Pattaya ,wear my mask get my hands sanitized ,in and out straight away here .

5 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Evidence suggests millions had it no issues.

ACTIVE CASES
Currently Infected Patients
1,466,216 (96%)
in Mild Condition
56,934 (4%)
Serious or Critical
CLOSED CASES
Cases which had an outcome:
570,423 (79%)
Recovered / Discharged
154,086 (21%)
Deaths
These figures are understated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:
ACTIVE CASES
Currently Infected Patients
1,466,216 (96%)
in Mild Condition
56,934 (4%)
Serious or Critical
CLOSED CASES
Cases which had an outcome:
570,423 (79%)
Recovered / Discharged
154,086 (21%)
Deaths
These figures are understated.

That data is flawed. Every doctor knows this

22 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

That data is flawed. Every doctor knows this

Yes it is. The numbers are higher. If this isn't what you are saying perhaps you could tell us why it's flawed apart from different countries using different methods to assign the virus to their figures. This is of course what makes these figures lower than what they actually are.

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Yes it is. The numbers are higher. If this isn't what you are saying perhaps you could tell us why it's flawed apart from different countries using different methods to assign the virus to their figures. This is of course what makes these figures lower than what they actually are.

Infections way higher so death rate is lower. Doctors know this. Eliminate the sick, old, obese who dies? not many. Far less than roads. Like 1 day on the roads.

• Like 2