Songkran 2020 is the best one ever

fforest1

Songkran is Thai New Years. In the west the population also makes fools of themselves New Year's eve. If you can't accept Thai customs what are you doing living in Thailand? Maybe that's why you don't fit in and complain about everything Thai. I don't throw a lot of water but don't object to other's. If you want to hear some off key music (noise) go to a German beer hall, but the singers are having a good time (makes me smile).

BTW most of those throwing dirty water are you countrymen, who don't know any better.

Just now, checkered flag said:

Songkran is Thai New Years. In the west the population also makes fools of themselves New Year's eve. If you can't accept Thai customs what are you doing living in Thailand? Maybe that's why you don't fit in and complain about everything Thai. I don't throw a lot of water but don't object to other's. If you want to hear some off key music (noise) go to a German beer hall, but the singers are having a good time (makes me smile).

BTW most of those throwing dirty water are you countrymen, who don't know any better.

During Songkran I typically find Thai's to be respectful of others.... the drunk Farangs on the other hand, they are the ones that have ruined it.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

During Songkran I typically find Thai's to be respectful of others.... the drunk Farangs on the other hand, they are the ones that have ruined it.

Agree.

My first Songkran in Thailand was at Patong beach in Phuket. Walking down a small soi off main road thais came out with small buckets water and gestured they wanted to splash us. So we opened our arms as a go ahead. Nice warm water too. We then went to have a drink in bar in Bangla road. We were sitting inside and I had my back to the entrance. Next thing 3 powerful jets of icy cold water hitting me in the back. Literally took my breath away from the shock and cold water. When it stopped and I turned around. You guessed it 3 farangs thought so funny.

• Haha 2

The fact that they had to cancel the holiday is not good for anyone especially as hard of a blow this is to the economy and the whole world, it’s not funny at all nor was this something “good” as some people seem to think. It’s been a total disaster for everyone people are hurting and I’ve actually done quite a bit for my local community as a result of this mess. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, TikiT said:

The fact that they had to cancel the holiday is not good for anyone especially as hard of a blow this is to the economy and the whole world, it’s not funny at all nor was this something “good” as some people seem to think. It’s been a total disaster for everyone people are hurting and I’ve actually done quite a bit for my local community as a result of this mess. 

Yeah terrible of the government to postpone (it aint cancelled) the 3 Thai new year public holidays, they should have let Thailand enjoy the traditional new year drinking themselves into a stupor, killing and maiming thousands on the roads and just deal with the fall out of potentially 10's of 1000's of possible new WuFu cases.

why you think the above is better than a postponement is beyond me, I can only assume the thought of people needlessly dying on the roads arouses you in some sick twisted way.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Xavier1 said:

If you don’t want to celebrate Songkran ok but don’t rub it in their face because it’s cancelled this is devastating to the country. 

Seems to be only you and your sidekick TikiT that keeps harping on about a cancellation, do you have link to qualify your claims ?

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

why you think the above is better than a postponement is beyond me, I can only assume the thought of people needlessly dying on the roads arouses you in some sick twisted way.

Nonsense post to back up your POV, the road toll goes down at Songran if you were to pay attention!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

You forgot to mention the ice water at -500C. I became Frankenstein so many times last year. Nuts on my neck.

My nuts the same sitting in the back of a pickup covered in cold ditch water.  But that was a few years ago ,  hate Soakrun now.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Tourists had already left Thailand before songkran.

Natives been out of work for many weeks already, and most wouldn't afford to party.

Its postponed to a later date not yet set. 

1000s of expats has for many years left Thailand before songkran for a 2 week escape.

Some don't see the full picture here. And when songkran will be held later this year, no tourists, and many natives would want to work rather than party, simply because they have no money left.

• Confused 1

Just now, OnTheGround said:

And when songkran will be held later this year, no tourists, and many natives would want to work rather than party, simply because they have no money left.

I reckon they gunna party like it's 1999.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, KhunKenAP said:

With the droughts, good thing it was cancelled.

As if it would have made the slightest bit of difference! less than one toilet flush per farang!

20 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

And this year there will be even fewer.

Thankyou for supporting my POV.

Hard to disagree if you are able to ignore the loss of freedom as being pertinent to your POV, the ability to earn money & pay debts & further ignore the fact there are many people with no food or income & that domestic violence & suicides have increased substantially. ????

Just now, CGW said:

Hard to disagree if you are able to ignore the loss of freedom as being pertinent to your POV, the ability to earn money & pay debts & further ignore the fact there are many people with no food or income & that domestic violence & suicides have increased substantially. ????

Good point, with no booze and no public holidays domestic violence numbers will also be down.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Not only the obnoxious noise pollution but the coronavirus has actually saved thousands of lives that would have been lost to road fatalities during the Songkran drunken water fight!

At least they can still start fires, burn sh*t and destroy the environment with total impunity to at least make life barrable until things het back to normal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, stevefloyd said:

Songkran itself is a decent enough day its the week that leads up getting soaked every time you step out  unless you go out in a wet suit every day, the drunk farangs throwing water at everyone certainly gets to you

The Buddhist festival known as songkran runs for 3 days.

Which day are you talking about ?

44 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I expect the birth rate to increase, 9 months from now.  ????

One of our neighbours went to their home province somewhere in Isarn to give birth and got stuck there so named the baby "curfew"  ????

1 minute ago, keithathome said:

It's NOT the water I mind it's the ICED water !!!!!!  At 40 degrees air temperature a bucket of iced water is a severe shock to my system.  Too much ICED water has ruined Songkran for me.

100% agree.

• Like 1