3BB Have upgraded my package again from 400/400 to 1000/500 free

Mutt Daeng

According to the 3BB android app, my 3BB Fibre package is now 1000/500 (was 400/400).

The incoming fibre connects to a Huawei Echolife HG8045H GPON which is in bridge mode, connecting to an ASUS AC86U router. 

All cabling is Cat6. However, when I do a speedtest I am only getting 520/510.

Looks like I will be calling 3BB once Covid-19 restrictions are lifted.

Speedtest.jpg

root@Synology:~# ./speedtest

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: 3BB - Phuket (id = 24544)
        ISP: 3BB Broadband
    Latency:     1.32 ms   (0.03 ms jitter)
   Download:   915.17 Mbps (data used: 437.4 MB)                               
     Upload:   926.20 Mbps (data used: 453.1 MB)                               
Packet Loss:     0.0%
 Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/9f1460bf-3ad8-4048-a666-15f523e8f0f4

This is how you do speedtest (from a powerful NAS) ???? 

3 hours ago, muratremix said:

Your PC is too slow.

try speedtest app to get better speed.

it may be speedtest unable to sustain high speed on browsers too, I always use speedtest cli app and get great results.

I don't think that it's my pc that is slow.  OK, it only has an i5 7400 @ 3GHz CPU and 32GB RAM. While the cpu is not top of the range I reckon it is fast enough for my needs and fast enough to enjoy Gbps download speeds.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, muratremix said:

root@Synology:~# ./speedtest

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: 3BB - Phuket (id = 24544)
        ISP: 3BB Broadband
    Latency:     1.32 ms   (0.03 ms jitter)
   Download:   915.17 Mbps (data used: 437.4 MB)                               
     Upload:   926.20 Mbps (data used: 453.1 MB)                               
Packet Loss:     0.0%
 Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/9f1460bf-3ad8-4048-a666-15f523e8f0f4

This is how you do speedtest (from a powerful NAS) ???? 

Here is another speedtest using speedtest-cli on Ubuntu on a Dell Latitude X1 netbook that was on Noah's Ark. It has Pentium M cpu & 2GB RAM and 10/100/100 ethernet port using Cat5e. Pretty similar to my desktop results (i5 7400, 32GB RAM Cat6 cabling). Slightly less actually as I did the test using a server not so close to my location. With this being a relatively "slow" laptop I would have expected much lower download speeds according to your theory that my desktop is slow. My own view is that the problem lies within the Huawei Echolife HG8045H GPON running in bridge mode.

IMG_25630419_141206_Burst01.jpg

Edited by Mutt Daeng
forgot to add picture....Doh

On 4/19/2020 at 10:23 AM, Henryford said:

I changed from the 200/200 to the 1000/100. Getting downloads of 900+, OK not 1000 but good enough for me.

A 1Gb plan is 1Gb speed in "name only"...actually it's only approx 940Mb best case.   A 1Gb name sounds more sexy than a 940Mb name.

On 4/19/2020 at 10:19 AM, Somtamnication said:

They came in yesterday to upgrade the router to the 4 antenna type. My old one had 2 antennas. Speed upgraded too and for 39b more, we get hbo go. Keeps wife happy.

They did that for me with the new router as well.

I was on the 400/400 package.

Hardly any increase in speeds.

On their laptop they had 950/450.

On my AIO, I'm getting pretty much the same at 500/450.

My computer isn't that old either.

I too got an upgrade to 1000/500 from AIS fiber before covid19 lock down. Speedtest.net showed I was indeed getting 1000 download back then. However, now during the lock down, I'm getting around 450~600. I'm guessing so many people are online at once watching netflix and youtube.

10 minutes ago, sitti said:

I too got an upgrade to 1000/500 from AIS fiber before covid19 lock down. Speedtest.net showed I was indeed getting 1000 download back then. However, now during the lock down, I'm getting around 450~600. I'm guessing so many people are online at once watching netflix and youtube.

A 1Gb plan is really in name only as approx 940Mb is the top speed of 1Gb plans.  For advertising purposes a 1Gb plan sounds a lot more sexy than a 940Mb plan.   Anyway, I'm getting around 940Mb on my AIS Fibre one day free upgrade to 1000/1000.  See below post.  I'm in Bangkok.

On 4/19/2020 at 9:20 AM, muratremix said:

Your PC is too slow.

try speedtest app to get better speed.

it may be speedtest unable to sustain high speed on browsers too, I always use speedtest cli app and get great results.

My PC is about six years old, and when the engineer came to see why I wasn't getting the automatic upgrade speed of 200 many months ago he said it was because my PC could only handle 100. His PC showed 200.

I'll be getting a new PC shortly so will see what that shows. But who really needs 1000? Really. In my native UK I think many are lucky to get 20. I must say that one of the few things that does work really well in Thailand is the internet. It absolutely rocks.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My PC is about six years old, and when the engineer came to see why I wasn't getting the automatic upgrade speed of 200 many months ago he said it was because my PC could only handle 100. His PC showed 200.

I'm assuming these tests were done via "Ethernet" connection vs Wifi.  If so, does your PC have 1Gb or 100Mb ethernet ports?  If the PC only has 100Mb ports then the tech was probably trying to say your choke point is the 100Mb ethernet ports on your PC.   

Now, if you had a Wifi 5Ghz band connection you should be able to get around 200Mb in the same room with your 5Ghz band router.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pib said:

I'm assuming these tests were done via "Ethernet" connection vs Wifi.  If so, does your PC have 1Gb or 100Mb ethernet ports?  If the PC only has 100Mb ports then the tech was probably trying to say your choke point is the 100Mb ethernet ports on your PC.   

Now, if you had a Wifi 5Ghz band connection you should be able to get around 200Mb in the same room with your 5Ghz band router.

It was done via wifi, and I have a 100Mb port. So yes, that's the choke point. As I only need single figures for IPTV I'm okay with that. It's not as if I'm paying for a faster speed that I can't use, as it was an automatic upgrade for the same price.

Dam.  I live  in a dead end neighborhood, so not likely to improve on my 89/7 speeds.  Yes they seem slow.   It's much easier cheaper to set up good internet in a country that has a high density of people.  Utah population 2 million.  

8 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Good luck calling 3BB to complain. When I called them about mine they said I would only get the upper end of speeds if I was using a 5g device. Its in the (Thai) small print apparently.

No luck required.

Its technology

The older Fibre routers have 100mb ethernet ports only.

The 5ghz is where the speed is for wireless devices.

Upgrade your router for faster speed.

9 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Good luck calling 3BB to complain. When I called them about mine they said I would only get the upper end of speeds if I was using a 5g device. Its in the (Thai) small print apparently.

5G means mobile/cell 5G which is just now getting off the ground in Thailand.  5G mean 5th generation technology for mobile transmissions.  It's not Wifi.

For Wifi, it's called 5Ghz band/device....a completely different animal, technology, frequencies, etc., from 5G mobile technology.

If you originally got your ISP router several years ago it could be a 2.4Ghz band router only which is good for speeds up to around 100Mb if your are really lucky...but around 50Mb is more the norm.  Now if your ISP issued you a newer router with 2.4Ghz "and 5Ghz" bands then a 5Ghz band connection can give you 200Mb "or much more" Wifi speed....but the much more is probably going to peak out in the 300-400Mb ballpark for ISP-issued type router which are not the higher end routers which can achieve speeds well above 400Mb.   And of course, your client devices (computer, phones, etc) have to have 5Ghz capability also as the weakest (slowest) link in the Wifi router-to-client chain determines the max obtainable speed.

5 hours ago, Pib said:

If you originally got your ISP router several years ago it could be a 2.4Ghz band router only which is good for speeds up to around 100Mb if your are really lucky...but around 50Mb is more the norm. 

I believe mine will be the newer type as it was only installed in November - my devices are old though. I only have 100/100 and expected that to be enough. I was getting buffering running a streaming TV service, called them and they said I wouldn't get 100 on non 5g devices. I only have 10mb in the UK and very rarely get any buffering so I was surprised when it happened so much in Thailand. At the time of checking I was only getting 12mb but I wouldn't have got buffering with 12mb in the UK. 

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I was new in November when they did the installation.

Yep, you got a new old router. 

As I said technology.

Technology changes quite fast, to get the speeds you need to install the latest technology, these routers have 2 x wireless networks, 2.4 & 5ghz. 

Also your ethernet ports may be running slow 100mb bandwidth, new routers have 1gb ports 

31 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I believe mine will be the newer type as it was only installed in November - my devices are old though. I only have 100/100 and expected that to be enough. I was getting buffering running a streaming TV service, called them and they said I wouldn't get 100 on non 5g devices. I only have 10mb in the UK and very rarely get any buffering so I was surprised when it happened so much in Thailand. At the time of checking I was only getting 12mb but I wouldn't have got buffering with 12mb in the UK. 

When you were in the UK the distance to the TV server was much, much closer which means your latency/ping time was much, much less which provided a "consistent" data flow.   TV streaming requires a steady, consistent data flow. 

Here in Thailand you are much, much farther away from the UK TV server with much great latency/ping and unless your TV stream is a "consistent" flow you will get buffering/disconnects. 

By a consistent flow I mean no or very few interruptions in data flow for X-milliseconds.   If your TV stream data flow is like streaming good for say 50 milliseconds and the stops for 50 milliseconds and then starts again for 50 milliseconds and then stop again for 50 milliseconds....etc....etc....etc....then that is "not" consistent data flow and you'll probably having buffering/stream disconnects. 

Now if you could do a speed test to that TV server in might say the speed is 10Mb but that will be a "average" of the data flow.....the data flow could have been zipping along at 20Mb for say 50 milliseconds and then maybe completely stop of 50 milliseconds.....the speed test results would be an average of 10Mb.   Speed test wise it looks good, but it was not a steady, consistent data flow which TV streaming demands.

So, your 10Mb in the UK was probably a steady, consistent flow of data where your 10Mb in Thailand is not with the data stream coming a third of a world away.

21 hours ago, Elkski said:

Dam.  I live  in a dead end neighborhood, so not likely to improve on my 89/7 speeds.  Yes they seem slow.   It's much easier cheaper to set up good internet in a country that has a high density of people.  Utah population 2 million.  

in my wife's village we also have TOT fiber. While we use cheapest 30/10 package, we can get 1000/500 if we were living there. Even mobile coverage is terrible in the USA. You drive 650 miles from Oregon to California using national highways and my AT&T gets only 1 bar of 4G, and drop to 3G frequently? I have more bars in Thailand in the middle of the sea/ocean than USA.

I raised a ticket using the 3BB android app yesterday to complain about the slow download speed (520Mbps), since my free upgrade from 400/400 to 1000/500. 3BB engineers have just been to my house. As soon as they saw my old GPON, they replaced it. They did their tests showing 930+Mbps. Then they put it in bridge mode, so I could connect my Asus AC86U. Here is a speedtest I did to confirm the speed. I'm well happy now.

speedtest-cli.jpg

Edited by Mutt Daeng

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I raised a ticket using the 3BB android app yesterday to complain about the slow download speed (520Mbps), since my free upgrade from 400/400 to 1000/500. 3BB engineers have just been to my house. As soon as they saw my old GPON, they replaced it. They did their tests showing 930+Mbps. Then they put it in bridge mode, so I could connect my Asus AC86U. Here is a speedtest I did to confirm the speed. I'm well happy now.

speedtest-cli.jpg

So you had a gigabyte network and they replaced your router. 

Can you send a photo of the new router and old if you have.