Songkhla Zoo focusing on mental health of animals under COVID-19 lockdown

rooster59

Songkhla Zoo focusing on mental health of animals under COVID-19 lockdown

Praphorn Praphornkul

311835d5860dfa7f74c0ba41b8e29a6c_small.jpeg

SONGKHLA (NNT) - Songkhla Zoo in the southern province of Songkhla says it is fully caring for its animals, despite being closed during the COVID-19 outbreak, with an emphasis on keeping animals relaxed and free of stress.

Staff at Songkhla Zoo continue to feed tigers, panthers and lions using frozen meat, hanging cuts from trees to prompt the big cats to exercise and stimulating their basic instincts. The frozen meat was also chosen to help cool the cats.

Long-time zoo resident Nancy, an orangutan, is being fed sugary drinks with frozen lychee to keep her cool and amused.

The Director of Songkhla Zoo, Chalermwut Kasetsomboon, indicated that almost all food served to animals during the summer months is frozen, to avoid them becoming stressed by the heat. He pointed out that keeping the animals amused is particularly important as the COVID-19 situation has necessitated the zoo’s closure. The facility is seeking ways to improve the quality of life for the animals as well as new regimes to keep them occupied and strong.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-04-19

He pointed out that keeping the animals amused is particularly important as the COVID-19 situation has necessitated the zoo’s closure.

Prior to the closure the animals were entertained by the antics of homo sapiens on the other side of the barriers?

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The facility is seeking ways to improve the quality of life for the animals as well as new regimes to keep them occupied and strong.

Good , but I still feel very sorry for all these animals suffering ' lifetime sentences ' in a Zoo .

They should have never been taken out of their natural habitat . And that habitat needs to be protected by law .

Anyway , who finds pleasure looking at caged in animals at a zoo ?

I once went to CM Zoo , I remember one lonely bear behind concrete walls , nothing to play with , just concrete all around ... so sad ...

I will never go back to this Zoo nor to another .

Close them all would be the best .

Edited by nobodysfriend