Genuine friendships in Thailand.

WineOh

I don't want to start any arguments or a flurry of stupid replies.  But really when you give or lend money to anyone this starts a whole new route and dimension to a "friendship" - you can't then start to blame everyone else for your poor judgement on the call.  Other than yourself!

I learnt quickly and fairly inexpensively here in my first 3-4 years. Two or 3 Farangs nothing huge 10,000Bt max.  One I had to steal his possessions to re sell, another had him paint my garden walls.  A lot of aggro for nothing - so stopped that malarky dead then.

lost money with the Thai girls, but you have to really think about everything as a "gift" - that might be a Ford Everest in her name as it's easier to get finance, or a 6 mil Baht house to get round Thai ownership.  Just don't do it.  Or if you do just the once.

I have three close farang friends here in Bangkok, and many acquaintances. I work at those friendships. I have been in therapy off and on my whole life, and it was imprinted in my mind when a therapist remarked that human connections are the main thing in life, in a general way nothing else comes close.

Back in the states I was a noted personage in a certain alternative/underground music scene for 20 years, and ended up with 650 so-called "friends" on FB (not many for some people though). All those people knew me and still know me by my first name, though there were only a few dozen I knew very well. Friends are important; do it.

Edited by Enzian
clarification

1 hour ago, WalkingOrders said:

No. I don't. I'm not in need or looking. "Explained a lot"? What the <deleted> does that mean? Are you studying me? Explained alot about what? Where are you again?

This was just a friendly comment about myself with no ax to grind pal!

If yer looking to argue or insult go back to a politics page and I will be ready for you and the rest of the nutballs!

"Explained a lot" 

they just bounce around spreading neg like a foul wind.

Laughable! ????

35 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

it's ironic I should be in their midst, and be comfortable with it.

Yes, but understandable... my wife also has a ton of friends and family and most all are long term relations and all are easy for me to get along with too... that is part of the nice aspect of living here... Thai people are friendly and fun to be around and non-confrontational and easy to be with... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

that is part of the nice aspect of living here... Thai people are friendly and fun to be around and non-confrontational and easy to be with... 

I found that to be the case as well.

Until I got to know them better.

Now I am a lot more cautious when around locals,

they can be as harsh as an Alaskan winter when they want to be!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

I guess no one can be same perfect like you. Maybe you just have to consider lowering your expectations regarding what you seem to see like trash under your high and mighty feets.

To make friends with people, you would probably have to engage in talking to them. Have you tried that, or have you never bothered to learn their language? If the latter, then it looks like you are the one making yourself impossible.

You do know where the fellas from do you !

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Yes, but understandable... my wife also has a ton of friends and family and most all are long term relations and all are easy for me to get along with too... that is part of the nice aspect of living here... Thai people are friendly and fun to be around and non-confrontational and easy to be with... 

Try to stop paying for them left and right. Even better - tell them you are a bankrupt. Then wait and see what happens.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

Even better - tell them you are a bankrupt. Then wait and see what happens.

Why would I lie to someone about being bankrupt? they would know it is a lie too... if you are thinking they are not honorable, the loans I have made to Thai people get paid back much more often than farang... 

43 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

ps - it actually seems to get more difficult as you get older... I am seeing my older friends become crankier... and more difficult to deal with... they forget times and places and then blame you... they also get repetitive [like talking to a drunk] 

So we ve met then?  I can't remember.

Do you know who I am? Lol 

12 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

Our Thai friends pay for us much more often than we pay for them.

My personal experience is limited to the poor socio-economic level of the Thai society of Pattaya with their predatory attitude towards foreigners. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zikomat said:

My personal experience is limited to the poor socio-economic level of the Thai society of Pattaya with their predatory attitude towards foreigners. 

I hope you don't think that is in any way representative of Thai people... they go down there for work in what they think is your fantasy, dress up as Minnie Mouse and pretend to like you so that you will give them more money... that's their job. I would think you know that by now... 

Sort of like a used car salesman back home... if they think they can get more $$ out of you, they will... 

Not everyone in Thailand is a bargirl... 

• Like 1

I would not want to associate with people who are only interested in what they can gain by my "friendship". I associate almost exclusive with other farangs, who are just as duplicitous and fake as the Thai people.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KhunFred said:

I would not want to associate with people who are only interested in what they can gain by my "friendship". I associate almost exclusive with other farangs, who are just as duplicitous and fake as the Thai people.

sounds like a hoot... 

33 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Nice to know you can afford a Beemer or Merc here.

Would never do that. Over rated over expensive cars to tell everyone who you are? Why would I need that. Everybody already know the farang around here. ???? 

• Confused 1

Dont expect anyone to love you unless

you pay them, one way or another.

O. Wilde.

Looking for company, male or female,

make sure they are kind.