Pattaya: Starving crowds told to go home as City Hall cancels handout

webfact

19 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Yes indeed ! This s a story that the Authorities in Thailand should be absolutely ashamed of.

Hungry people do not care about Social Distancing, they worry bout feeding their Kids and the rest of their family members.

So why are there no food trucks, or Army Soup Kitchens to care for these hungry people 

Shame on you Thailand, shame on you. An utter disgraceful way to treat your fellow Country Folk

Yeah, shame. Thais never spare an opportunity to gush in pride at their culture of taking care of each other when times are hard. Thai 'rak' Thai and all that. And they like to suggest that they are far better than western countries at caring for each other.

Let's see if that's true 

14 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Maybe you will be in the queue soon, hope you know how to queue properly 555

It certainly wasn't well organised, nor disciplined at immigration when I last had to go there, at a time when I suspect it was more critical. 

On 4/21/2020 at 11:00 AM, keith101 said:

If these idiots used social distancing instead of all gathering in a huge crowd they would have received their goodies but they just want to be in front of the others in case they miss out . The police could have been used to control them .

If you are starving the last thing you think about is this nonsense. So keep free of Covid but starve to death !!

• Like 1

I can empathize with millions of people on Earth about hunger. 

I don't have sympathy for humans who failed to stock up on food when they KNEW jobs would be lost, stores would close, and the curfew was to be put in place. 

My friends were smart, they stocked up on rice (5 big bags per person), water, chillies and dry ingredients,  coffee, noodles (my count was 200+ packs), and other non-perishable items.  The only things they shop for are veggies, fruits, and fish and meat, about once a week. 

They used to work in bars and massage shops.  Collectively they could see the immediate future and departed Pattaya as soon as they could; my married friends remained in Pattaya and they are not hungry. 

To borrow a movie quote "Chance favors the prepared mind".  - source: Under Seige 2

I have done the same: I stocked up on rice, dry beans, pork, water, spices, curry, oil and condiments, plus 36 cans of Spam, and 105+ rolls of toilet paper (a bum gun is not enough for me). 

I too will not go hungry.  ????

17 hours ago, Lipoman said:

I can empathize with millions of people on Earth about hunger. 

I don't have sympathy for humans who failed to stock up on food when they KNEW jobs would be lost, stores would close, and the curfew was to be put in place. 

My friends were smart, they stocked up on rice (5 big bags per person), water, chillies and dry ingredients,  coffee, noodles (my count was 200+ packs), and other non-perishable items.  The only things they shop for are veggies, fruits, and fish and meat, about once a week. 

They used to work in bars and massage shops.  Collectively they could see the immediate future and departed Pattaya as soon as they could; my married friends remained in Pattaya and they are not hungry. 

To borrow a movie quote "Chance favors the prepared mind".  - source: Under Seige 2

I have done the same: I stocked up on rice, dry beans, pork, water, spices, curry, oil and condiments, plus 36 cans of Spam, and 105+ rolls of toilet paper (a bum gun is not enough for me). 

I too will not go hungry.  ????

As well as I understand your post and the importance of see things as well as prepare for a coming situation, you have to know more of the Thai culture and society. People that works like you are talking about, you and your friends as well as all that works in companies that employs on paper and pay monthly salaries. All those could probably go by your advice and stock as well as prepare. Some with to small paychecks, though, that does not allows for stocking up.

The real problem is all the millions of people that have not been employed on paper and having salary every day. About 320 baht in the hand per day. How do you figure they have the chance to save money or have the capital to stock-up?

• Like 2

On 4/21/2020 at 5:09 PM, DrTuner said:

I do. Anyone who's spent any time queueing in Thailand knows it's the survival of the fittest, must get pole position at any costs. Chinese take it to a whole other level though.

We also do proper social distancing automatically where I come from: 

Looks a bit crowded though. Must be in Helsinki.

Locals aren't savvy to cuing up in a line. Many times at a convenience shop over the years I've had someone plop their goods onto the counter right in front of me while in the middle of my purchase.<deleted>. Once I was so <deleted> off I left my full basket and walked out.I didn't like it but too late now.Has anyone else had this unpleasant experience?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

Locals aren't savvy to cuing up in a line. Many times at a convenience shop over the years I've had someone plop their goods onto the counter right in front of me while in the middle of my purchase.<deleted>. Once I was so <deleted> off I left my full basket and walked out.I didn't like it but too late now.Has anyone else had this unpleasant experience?

Yeah, just push their stuff on the floor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaideedave said:

Has anyone else had this unpleasant experience?

Similar... I was checking into a hotel and a Chinese tour bus arrived and suddenly I was back 3 rows from the reception desk.

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

So you punished the innocent staff that had to return your goods to the shelves. Just refuse to let the guilty person push in and push their stuff aside.

I remember having a right tantrum at the check out queue when I had been stood behind a Russian lady, whose friend then pushed in front of me and dropped stuff in the common basket. I fumed then, but lost it when a third one arrived doing similar and I picked up their basket and took it to the back of the queue. Nobody understood one another and they laughed at me? 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 11:11 AM, cmsally said:

Much easier to get a dozen officials with some masking tape and have them put lines on the ground.

Easier still to give each customer a two metre long bamboo stick. Get the officials, or the army,  to cut them. Lots of bamboo in Thailand.

Edited by owl sees all

46 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

wheres all the philanthropic thai billionairs and gold rich monks rushing to help their fellow thais with a few measly meals

I don't know, but a lot of wealthy westerners helped many a sick buffalo over the years. 

Alas, wealthy westerners are few and far between here these days, and for the foreseeable future, and I don't see Mr. Wong and Mr. Lee from China assisting sick buffalo in the future. 

The easy money is gone. 

• Like 1