Thailand extends foreigners' visas for a second time as coronavirus cases slow

3 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

lol can you imagine IO say sorry we know nothing about auto extension, you are over stay, 20.000 please... lol

Worse than that for me... My covid extension expires on 25 April. If I stay until July 31, its almost 4 months. Pay and ban. 

Edited by ANDREW999

6 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Reuters sell their stories to third-party news sites so it's not at all unusual to see their articles copied word-for-word. Please learn something about how the international news media works before spreading confusion.

No-one is spreading confusion, I am simply pointing out that it would be a good Idea to wait for official confirmation. Even though we knew back in the first days of April that Immigration had already floated this idea.  I am well aware of how international news organisations work, that does not make them infallible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

I think this auto extension is the same as for april, all visa types. no need to go to immigration.. just wait at home for july.

No clarification but it seems that It only concerns Tourist not non immigrants.

50 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

Great news, so its the same as the first extension, for all visa types, no need to go to immigration... because my 1 year non-o multi marriage will expire in 5th may. so i can wait to go to savanakhet for another 3 months.. 

Watch That mate, I Went to Immigration Yesterday to Extend my 90 Day Permission to stay on my Non-Imm " O " Which was due to expire on the 30th April, I Was Denied the " Free One " But They DID Sell me the 60 Day extension based on Marriage & Told me NO MORRE Unless I have 400k in the bank......Baffled Me, But You daren't Argue with them Even when you think THEY are in the Wrong !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Normally no links in Thai allowed.

Copy/paste quickly.

https://www.thairath.co.th/news/politic/1826734

Thanks!

We need to wait a little while. It is in "draft proposal". ????
Also...."certain classes of aliens" is clear s mud as to who will benefit from this. If we're lucky, no changes to the existing amnesty...but you never know if they modify it.
The good thing is that 30-April is right around the corner, so they will need to formalize quite soon.

On April 21, Mrs. Narumon Pinyo Sinwat A spokesman for the Prime Minister's Office revealed that the Cabinet meeting has agreed in principle the draft notification of the Ministry of Interior regarding allowing certain classes of aliens to stay in the Kingdom in special cases (issue ...) as according to the police office. National Commission (Royal Thai Police) proposed and submitted to the draft law and subcommittee inspection committee proposed to the Cabinet for review. Then can proceed...

Edited by audaciousnomad
  • Haha 1

I extended my 2 month tourist visa until the end of may. I want to stay more time in Thailand, and my idea was to go out to another asian country, and then return to Thailand. I want to confirm what this news means. Would I have an automatic visa extension until the end of july? This seems too beautiful to be true, so I guess not. Or would I need a letter from the embassy, etc? But in that case you need to go to the inmigration office. Can someone confirm me please? 

Edited by jonga80
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jayson1 said:

In addition, if you go to the Thai government website Weekly Cabinet Summary and then click on 21 April. Point No. 9 confirms that Cabinet has approved a draft regulation providing visa extensions until 31 July (same categories of visas listed as per 7 April one). There is also a separate extension of the time to do the notification of residence. This still needs to be gazetted although this is now a formality given Cabinet approval 

Just went there. Apparently they quickly took the link down. Maybe their server was getting hammered. ????

3 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Just went there. Apparently they quickly took the link down. Maybe their server was getting hammered. ????

I got to it on chrome using google translate    9. 9. Draft Notification of the Ministry of Interior Re: Permission for Certain Aliens to Stay in the Kingdom in Special Cases (No. .. )

5 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

More details: 9. Notification of the Ministry of Interior regarding the granting of permission for certain foreigners to be in the Kingdom in special cases (No. ..) The
                    Cabinet has approved in principle the notification of the Ministry of Interior regarding the permission of certain foreigners to stay in the Kingdom. The Kingdom is a special case (No. ..) as proposed by the Royal Thai Police (Royal Thai Police) and has to be submitted to the committee to examine the draft law The Cabinet examined Then proceeded. The
                   Royal Thai Police proposed that
                   After the announcement of the Ministry of Interior regarding the granting of certain class of foreigners to the Kingdom on 7 April 2020, it has come into effect. It is to alleviate the suffering of foreigners affected by the epidemic situation of the coronary artery disease 2019 or Covid 19 disease when traveling in or out of the Kingdom. Including being able to stay in the Kingdom to a certain extent Especially foreigners who are allowed to stay in the Kingdom temporarily according to the type of visa. (Including VISA on Arrival) and aliens who are allowed to stay in the Kingdom temporarily under the visa exemption rights (Asst. 30 / Asst. 14 / Asst. 30 / Asst. 90) which stipulates the period of permission to stay in the Kingdom will end Since March 26, 2020, has been extended to stay in the Kingdom for the first time From March 26, 2020 to April 30, 2020, no need to continue to apply for a temporary residence permit under Section 35 of the Immigration Act 2522, including notification of residence under Section 37 Of the Immigration Act B.E. However, due to the extension of the granting of such aliens to stay in the Kingdom, it will end on April 30, 2020, but the epidemic situation of the Coronary Infection Disease 2019 or Covid's Disease 19 in Thailand and in various countries All regions of the world However, if the extension of the period of temporary residence permit is not extended further Will cause many aliens to travel to meet the immigration authorities To process a temporary stay in the Kingdom and / or notify a residence Until it may result in congestion Squeezing closely among the aliens at the immigration office Causing a broader risk of the spread of coronary infections in 2019, or Kovid 19 Inconsistent with measures and guidelines for the prevention and control of the spread of coronary diseases in 2019 or Covid 19
                   Essence of the draft announcement
                   1. To extend the period of permission to stay in the Kingdom of foreigners who are temporarily allowed to stay in the Kingdom according to the type of visa. (Including VISA on Arrival), aliens who are allowed to stay in the Kingdom temporarily under the visa exemption privileges. (Phor. 30 / Phor. 14 / Phor. 30 / Phor. 90) under Section 35 of the Immigration Act 2522 (including under the Petroleum Act 1971 and as amended) Investment Promotion Act B.E. 2520 and amended And the Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand Act B.E. 2522 (1979) and as amended) or according to the relevant Ministry of Interior Notification under Article 2 (1) of the Notification of the Ministry of Interior, regarding special permission to allow certain classes of aliens to be dated On 7 April 2020, before 1st May 2020 until 31 July 2020
                   2. To extend the notification period for residence under Section 37 (5) of the Immigration Act 1979 or according to the relevant Ministry of Interior Notification under Article 2 (2) of the Notification of the Ministry of Interior regarding the granting of permission to certain foreigners Particulars in the Kingdom is a special case dated April 7, 2020 from May 1, 2020 to July 31, 2020.

• Like 1

Just now, tribalfusion001 said:

Hmm, Thailand probably locked to foreign tourists until 31/07/2020 then, damn I need to escape from the UK ????

Maybe. Or they are they are giving plenty of time for things to start opening up, and people be able to go somewhere without a tsunami of people all going to IOs or airports and borders at the same time.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Watch That mate, I Went to Immigration Yesterday to Extend my 90 Day Permission to stay on my Non-Imm " O " Which was due to expire on the 30th April, I Was Denied the " Free One " But They DID Sell me the 60 Day extension based on Marriage & Told me NO MORRE Unless I have 400k in the bank......Baffled Me, But You daren't Argue with them Even when you think THEY are in the Wrong !!

If your non o was due to expire on 30th April, then there would be no 'free' extension, as the 30th April was the date when the initial 'free' extensions were due to expire, plus any 'free' extension would not have been 60 days either. The only option if you can't do a border run on a non o are 60 days based on marriage, or a year with 400k in the bank for 2 months prior. New announcement will change things obviously, but after your 60 day extension is up, are you then covered untilll 31st July?

Edited by PST
  • Haha 2

july 31

thats huge, they must realise that even if they lift lock down foregner cannot go anywhere so your in Thailand for the next three months wether you want to be or not

doubtful other borders will open up

singapore new lockdown June 1

manila June 1

i hope they print some entry rules soon 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, problemfarang said:

I think this auto extension is the same as for april, all visa types. no need to go to immigration.. just wait at home for july.

He is on an extension, not on a visa. He can and must extend within the country. So NO waiting at home.

6 minutes ago, zeusbheld said:

Reuters copied it word for word... including "Reuters reports," apparently. 

seriously, go look:

https://www.rt.com/newsline/486433-thailand-visa-extension-foreigners/

It's in the government website on the cabinet meeting April 21. point 9 deals with it.

https://www.thaigov.go.th/news/contents/details/29468

Edited by vermin on arrival
  • Like 1

Well if they are doing this then I would probably thing that the Emergency Decree would be extended as well.....ut who really knows whats going to play out.  Guess I should wait until next week when the PM decides....

• Haha 1