Thailand extends foreigners' visas for a second time as coronavirus cases slow

12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Immigration Bureau says "don't need to extend visa", how could they be more clear that that?

But don't worry, probably somebody here will still try to scare you by telling you that you are not covered.

yep .   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ozz1 said:

I would like to know that too I guess after I extended my multi o to 22nd June I don't need to go to immigration till 30thJuly I'm going to go to immigration just to clarify it next month

The point of the exemption is to avoid going, you,re being as bad as going to the beach for a swim!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rumak said:
11 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Do you think people who have a one year extension which expires and who don't go to extend it will be on overstay? Or what do you think is the consequence if they don't extend it?

Ubon Joe,  peter denis,  and yours truly  have all strongly suggested that  one year long stay extensions need to be renewed  as usual.

If you want to argue...no problem.   It is your right and others to do what you think best.

Please do not go to immig  to renew on usual date and let us know that the consequences are.

If none,  come back and let me know .       I will go as planned

As I intended to continue living here and as Udon immigration information was consistent with the people mentioned above  I submitted my extension request last week. It was accepted with a 60 day under consideration stamp.

TIT it’s up to you.

people may not be fined for overstay people MAY be able to extend a 1 year permission when applying late. I choose to follow my immigration office advice.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, problemfarang said:

Great news, so its the same as the first extension, for all visa types, no need to go to immigration... because my 1 year non-o multi marriage will expire in 5th may. so i can wait to go to savanakhet for another 3 months.. 

you sure about that all types of visas ?

13 minutes ago, rumak said:
28 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Immigration Bureau says "don't need to extend visa", how could they be more clear that that?

But don't worry, probably somebody here will still try to scare you by telling you that you are not covered.

yep .   

Including Udon immigration officials !!

51 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

As well, it has been stated a couple of times that those long stay Extensions will still be processed as per normal.

Correct they are. Mine was submitted on April 16.

52 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Therefore, my interpretation is, if you have a "long stay" Extension that will expire before you leave the country and you do not renew it or get a (proper) extension, you will be on overstay starting the day after the Extension expires.

Again correct.

53 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Personally I'd say you're better off doing it before you get the airport otherwise you could be in for a nasty surprise.

I agree. It could vary between no fine, no ban, bye bye  all the way to 20k fine and 10 year ban. I think the first is more likely but TIT 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, superatoz said:

can anyone please acertain which visas are eligible for this , thai govt love to confuse people by not giving accurate info . 

To extend the period of permission to stay in the Kingdom of foreigners who are temporarily allowed to stay in the Kingdom according to the type of visa. (Including VISA on Arrival), aliens who are allowed to stay in the Kingdom temporarily under the visa exemption privileges. (Phor. 30 / Phor. 14 / Phor. 30 / Phor. 90) under Section 35 of the Immigration Act 2522

the first “Phor. 30“ Is different from the second 

(ผ.30/ผผ.14/ผผ.30/ผผ.90)
translated as

. (Phor. 30 / Phor. 14 / Phor. 30 / Phor. 90)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, they will be on overstay.

In tens of post on various threads you are stating that those on 1-year extensions are covered by the amnesty, and you are thus creating confusion all over.

You even admit that you would NOT recommend those on 1-year extensions to skip doing their 1-year extension when their permission to stay date is due to expire.

So it is just an Ego-Trip for you trying to prove that you are right.

And even IF it turns out that you are right and that it is not necessary to do your 1-year extension of stay and that you can wait till after the amnesty, those that followed your 'advice' would have to do it then anyway (in crowded immigration offices).

But if you are NOT correct and the long-stay Non Imm O or O-A Visa holders refrained from doing their 1-year extension when it was due, they will be in a lot of trouble and have to rely on leniency from their IO.

You must be absolutely convinced of being right against all those that state otherwise, when it could result in people getting in big trouble if it turns out that their local IO is of a different opinion. 

I recommended to do the extension now because the immigration offices are empty (if they are not belonging to the risk group), not because they might be on overstay.

I think you don't realize what you are doing. You (meaning everybody who tells people that they are not covered) are probably causing thousands of people all over Thailand to expose themself to other people at the immigration office while we have an ongoing health pandemic, where everybody should stay as isolated as possible.

Some people, who might not be able to extend and think they will be on overstay because of what you say, will decide to fly back home instead of staying put, thus greatly increasing their chance to infect themself as well as spread a potentially deadly virus over the world.

Based on only your opinion, without having any evidence, you are scaring people into doing something which contributes to the spread of the virus, and in the worst case might even kill people.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

People need to understand the difference between a Visa and an Extension of Stay. A visa is generally issued by an Embassy outside Thailand and is NOT a right of passage to enter the Kingdom. Airport or Land Immigration can still deny you entry even with a valid Visa. An Extension of Stay is direct authority from Thai Immigration to remain in Thailand. They are both completely different animals with different rule sets. It's that simple.

Edited by Joy888
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just a fact...I phone my Immigration this morning, as i need to go for my 90 days base on retirement O extension......the ANSWER was clear...: You have to come make your 90 days ..our office is open everyday, if you don't do then you will have to pay 2000 bahts !!! when I spoke about the new 3 months until July...they said they don't know about it...and if, it is only for people on tourist visa ect. SO like usually every office do what they want !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ripstanley said:

What about expats who are on extensions of stay? What about the 90 day reporting? What about TM30 reporting? I personally am okay as my extension was extended last week.

Extensions has to be done as usual, also TM30 reports. No need for 90 days reports. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mamasun said:

Just a fact...I phone my Immigration this morning, as i need to go for my 90 days base on retirement O extension......the ANSWER was clear...: You have to come make your 90 days ..our office is open everyday, if you don't do then you will have to pay 2000 bahts !!! when I spoke about the new 3 months until July...they said they don't know about it...and if, it is only for people on tourist visa ect. SO like usually every office do what they want !

The 90 days report is officially cancelled nationwide. Where do you stay? 

I'm on an ed visa and the last extension of stay expires in June. So if I understand correctly, I am eligible to stay until July 31st now. If however I had another 90 extension of stay due, I would have to go to immigration and process it normally.

5 minutes ago, superatoz said:

can anyone please acertain which visas are eligible for this , thai govt love to confuse people by not giving accurate info . 

Perhaps if we wait day or two (sometime this translates to three or four Thai-days ???? ) for an official announcement at the Thai Immigration website to confirm and clarify (Good Gracious Lord, be merciful here ???? ???? ???? ) this latest extension.

If all good, then big thanks ???? to Thai government ???????? and congratulations :clap2: on catching up with the rest of the world and sensible decision making when it comes to the immigration matters in fighting the C19 pandemics. Better ever than never, they say.

I guess the primary purpose for these extensions should be to stop or significantly slowdown spread of the virus, secondary to manage locally consequences of the global travel disruptions caused by the outbreak and lastly (in this context) to implement the immigration standard policies - except when they clash with the primary and secondary purpose mentioned.

(Lord, I know I am not much of a believer, but please do accept my plea and do not let them be tempted to fiddle with this simple announcement by complicating it further ..????????????)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, problemfarang said:

think we are safe bro, no need to worry. Of course officially they need to play safe and add something like some visa types, blah blah.. maybe they are talking about like ppl come here for seminar or likewise.

I guess we have to have the long drawn out legalise which no-one actually speaks. But there are only a finite number of visa types. Is it really asking too much that they list each one with what the rules are at the current time? Make it simple. It can't be that hard. Announcing 'certain classes' isn't enough.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, problemfarang said:

Great news, so its the same as the first extension, for all visa types, no need to go to immigration... because my 1 year non-o multi marriage will expire in 5th may. so i can wait to go to savanakhet for another 3 months.. 

Great idea. Wait until four months worth of visas expire on the same day and go in then. 555

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I guess we have to have the long drawn out legalise which no-one actually speaks. But there are only a finite number of visa types. Is it really asking too much that they list each one with what the rules are at the current time? Make it simple. It can't be that hard. Announcing 'certain classes' isn't enough.

What is so difficult to understand about "all visa types"?

• Haha 1

Ubonjoe: Could you please answer my question 

I am on a Multi Entry Non-Imm "O" marriage visa which expires in November and I am required to do a border run every 90 days and my next border run is due 19th May. Am I covered by this extended amnesty.

Thanks Ubonjoe

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Visas grant the holder a specific period of stay irrespective of the visa holder intentions.

The amnesty states temporary stay according to visa type...

Whose specified period of stay expires 26march.

To me this reads as the admitted until date granted at the border.

A visa does not grant an extension thus extensions do not qualify under the amnesty.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, racket said:

Good news.!

I wish they could make it possible to apply for a METV in a local immigration office or a nearby country if possible. 

Visas are issued by consulates and embassies of which there are none in country so not likely you will get your wish. I wish Lumyai would do a private dance for me. At least my wish has a chance. 

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No. While that would be nice it is not the information from the cabinet meeting, that does not talk about those who have an extension of stay.

Immi higration are clear that if you are on a 1 year extension and you want to continue in the kingdom you need to apply in the normal manner and they are processing those applications as usual.

Other extensions e.g. 60 day family visit are less clear cut

It is not at all clear that other people than those listed in the order are exempt from the penalties of overstaying their permission to stay.

I suggest that if you are on an extension of less than 1 year you should contact your immigration office.

Do not assume as the old saying that it makes an “ass” out of “u” and “me” is never more true

I am trying to suggest to people to contact their Immigration office and then report back. Then we could be more certain of what immigration are doing. I know Jomtien has a contact number on the website. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

You must be absolutely convinced of being right against all those that state otherwise

guys like this will NEVER admit to being wrong.       i just hope those whose extensions are not

covered by the automatic extension will figure out who to believe.    

up to them,  as the saying goes

• Thanks 1