Thailand extends foreigners' visas for a second time as coronavirus cases slow

8 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That order, I think, did not as you say.

However I think that the immigration department website does address exactly that point. If you are outside Thailand and have a re-entry permit it is also extended. Though it could of course only apply to permanent residents, as with many things written in English it maybe read both ways.

If on a extension of stay and it expires while out of the country it ends and you will have to start all over again by getting a new non-o visa.

It is only for those that have be granted permanent residency.

It is written in the order and references section 48 of the immigration act that is under "Chapter 5 Entering to take Residence in the Kingdom". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

If on a extension of stay and it expires while out of the country it ends and you will have to start all over again by getting a new non-o visa.

It is only for those that have be granted permanent residency.

It is written in the order and references section 48 of the immigration act that is under "Chapter 5 Entering to take Residence in the Kingdom". 

Thanks for the background knowledge.

I have not read the immigration orders and acts referenced in the minutes.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Thanks for the background knowledge.

I have not read the immigration orders and acts referenced in the minutes.

The approval done yesterday states that the order done on April 7th is extended until July 31st. No changes were made to that order.

If a person with a extension of stay is outside the country when it expires will have to start allover again by getting a new non-o visa or if other another category the correct visa for their extension of stay application.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, smedly said:

you will be able to extend as normal when you come back as if your 12 extension didn't expire - that was in the order in early April

39 minutes ago, smedly said:

he is on a 12 month extension he does not qualify for the amnesty automatically

39 minutes ago, smedly said:

he is on a 12 month extension he does not qualify for the amnesty automatically

If a one year extension of stay expires while a person is out of the country they will have to start all over again by getting a new non immigrant visa entry. The extension and its re-entry permit will be expired when they enter the country.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If a one year extension of stay expires while a person is out of the country they will have to start all over again by getting a new non immigrant visa entry. The extension and its re-entry permit will be expired when they enter the country.

I didn't get that from the original order but hey I'm not going to start a whole debate over it as it matters very little to anyone affected - they can easily convert their "new" entry to a type O in country as they had already left and re-entered so no issue really 

6 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Well my marriage extension is due in the beginning of May, and I am going to renew it as per normal.

With 11 pages of posts already on this subject, it is clear that nobody is 100% sure of who or what is covered over the next 3 months, so better to be safe than sorry.

If on a long stay extension (i year or 90 days) you need to apply for it. It is as simple as that.

If unable to get the extension due not meeting the requirements then you could stay until the 31st.

1 minute ago, smedly said:

I didn't get that from the original order but hey I'm not going to start a whole debate over it as it matters very little to anyone affected - they can easily convert their "new" entry to a type O in country as they had already left and re-entered so no issue really 

Nothing was mentioned in the order done on the the 7th that has now being extended until July 31st about those on extension of stay expiring while out of the the country. Nothing has changed due the embergency. If you cannot be here to apply for the extension it is lost that is how it has always been.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If on a long stay extension (i year or 90 days) you need to apply for it. It is as simple as that.

If unable to get the extension due not meeting the requirements then you could stay until the 31st.

Yes one year extension (sorry shld have added that). My WP over many years, was/is obtained by virtue of my yearly marriage extensions. ( I have no knowledge of any 90days, 60 days etc.. and don't need to know).

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing was mentioned in the order done on the the 7th that has now being extended until July 31st about those on extension of stay expiring while out of the the country. Nothing has changed due the embergency. If you cannot be here to apply for the extension it is lost that is how it has always been.

and my point being - it doesn't really matter as the person has already completed the biggest part of "starting again" by the fact they left and re-entered so it really is no biggie - not much really changes except one extra step - getting the type O conversion at immigration

so in reality it matters little

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

As to applying for extensions in offices - each could apply a different set of rules.  If I had a 1-year extension, I'd keep it current.

Or at the very least, contact Immigration in person to clarify. You'd hate to show up at the airport "assuming" you fall under the amnesty and get hit with a huge overstay fine (and maybe a lengthy blacklist as well).

Everyone is "interpreting" the meaning of the rules which, as we know, can be applied differently at almost every Immigration Office (or by almost every Immigration Officer) in the country. In most cases, they are interpreting them in a way that best suits their needs, which may not be how Immigration sees it.

For example, based on everything in this thread and the last, the amnesty does NOT apply to people who are on "long stay" Extensions (such as a Non-O and Non-O(A) Retirement Extensions). 
As well, it has been stated a couple of times that those long stay Extensions will still be processed as per normal.
(Those long stay Extensions are not to be confused with Permanent Residence (PR).)

Therefore, my interpretation is, if you have a "long stay" Extension that will expire before you leave the country and you do not renew it or get a (proper) extension, you will be on overstay starting the day after the Extension expires.

But as I said previously, you should contact Immigration in person. That way you either clarify that you don't need an Extension or that you do.
Personally I'd say you're better off doing it before you get the airport otherwise you could be in for a nasty surprise.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It does no apply if you are on a long stay extension of stay. You need renew it when it is due. 

Same as the previous order.

Only 90 day reports are suspended.

I can not read all 11 pages to see if  PROBLEMFARANG   has finally figured out that his 20 posts

saying either  "i,m sure......... or i think....    could get him and others that take his word for it

in some trouble.

Long term extensions  include    RETIREMENT  EXTENSIONS         EXTENSIONS BASED ON MARRIAGE     ( also dependency as having a thai child)  

Please don't try to be experts.    Read what ubonjoe has to say   ( or me   555)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The latest info graphic by immigration:

info_orig.thumb.jpg.07285784b52768cef796bea051d3bd86.jpg

My own translation:

info.thumb.jpg.7b8e524e1d1e62844c33dbb71ed2d631.jpg

If you don't have permanent residency you are a foreigner with temporary stay.

hi jackdd, 

so does this mean even after i extended 2 mths with paying the fee  now i can stay till 31st July 2020 ? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

For example, based on everything in this thread and the last, the amnesty does NOT apply to people who are on "long stay" Extensions (such as a Non-O and Non-O(A) Retirement Extensions). 

This is only what some people here think, even though there is no evidence at all that this is the case.

There is also nothing in the ministerial order or on the immigration website which suggests that people on "long stay" extensions would not be covered.

3 minutes ago, superatoz said:

hi jackdd, 

so does this mean even after i extended 2 mths with paying the fee  now i can stay till 31st July 2020 ? 

Immigration Bureau says "don't need to extend visa", how could they be more clear that that?

But don't worry, probably somebody here will still try to scare you by telling you that you are not covered.

• Like 1

I would like to know that too I guess after I extended my multi o to 22nd June I don't need to go to immigration till 30thJuly I'm going to go to immigration just to clarify it next month

Ok so i just called my local immigration and was told to fill out a tm47 online. My 90day border crossing (nonOmarriage) should have fallen on the 24th April but clearly thats not a possabilty so was told to do the online report instead. What a joke that is!!!! Cant do anything, slow, loop back to menu, downloaded app and cant register with errors showing up... argh! Called back and they said dont do anything until the 30th because this july 31st thing they dont know anything about...Oh dear......

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

You are correct that the amnesty does not apply to those on 1-year extensions of stay of their original Non Imm O or O-A Visa.

So you DO need to visit your local IO when the permission of stay on the basis of your present 1-year extension is due to expire.

Do you think people who have a one year extension which expires and who don't go to extend it will be on overstay? Or what do you think is the consequence if they don't extend it?

• Thanks 1

I’m on an 60 tourist visa extended 30 days to May 11th. I am hoping that this announcement will mean that I am ok to stay until end of July when I intend to go for a Non O prior to retirement visa( I will have the qualifying 3 months of 800k baht in the bank by then.

Am I correct in thinking I qualify for the blanket extension?

Edited by Millman

6 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

Ok so i just called my local immigration and was told to fill out a tm47 online. My 90day border crossing (nonOmarriage) should have fallen on the 24th April but clearly thats not a possabilty so was told to do the online report instead. What a joke that is!!!! Cant do anything, slow, loop back to menu, downloaded app and cant register with errors showing up... argh! Called back and they said dont do anything until the 30th because this july 31st thing they dont know anything about...Oh dear......

Not really surprising, the newest order, giving automatic extensions and exempting 90 day reports until 31st July, is not published in the royal gazette yet. This means currently it has no legal relevance. But Immigration Bureau is already making info graphics based on it, so it's quite certain that it will be published within in the next few days.

Edited by jackdd

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Do you think people who have a one year extension which expires and who don't go to extend it will be on overstay? Or what do you think is the consequence if they don't extend it?

Ubon Joe,  peter denis,  and yours truly  have all strongly suggested that  one year long stay extensions need to be renewed  as usual.

If you want to argue...no problem.   It is your right and others to do what you think best.

Please do not go to immig  to renew on usual date and let us know what the consequences are. 

If none,  come back and let us know .       I will go as planned

Edited by rumak
  • Like 2

Too many different answers to expats staying on marriage or retirement visas. Seems this covers everyone and not just those who expired earlier. The online seems to not work enough to validate things, and I'm sure immigration knows this. The ministerial order claims no reporting, no need to extend visas no fees or documents until otherwise stated. I got a 60 day extension until June 5th, so I'm guessing I don't need to do anything until July, unless Laos opens border earlier.

doggie1955   I wouldn't worry about the cost brother. America is make some bad decisions now as well as some other nations. To be frank, Thailand is making some wise decisions for the saftey of everyone here. Health and family come before money for someone who is mindful and intelligent .

Edited by Winky Wilson
  • Like 1