Construction sites in Pattaya. Are they the hidden danger?

champers

I see that Singapore has suffered a major setback in the fight against Covid 19. This is explained by major outbreaks amongst construction workers, mostly migrants, who live in large and cramped purpose built camps. This week there are 1000+ new infections per day and Singapore now has the worst infection rate in SE Asia. Previously they had one of the best records.

There is a big worker's camp close to where I live and many projects are still ongoing in Pattaya. Most are behind large hoardings so mostly out of view but one clearly visible site is that on Beach Road where new drainage pipes are being laid.

Apart from the fact that basic safety wear is pretty much non-existent, so is social distancing. At break and lunch times it is the norm to see groups of workers sat huddled round their meals in big groups. Tools and materials are passed around several people willy nilly. No sanitising gels or temperature probes here.

I do wonder if there is a disaster in the making and why enforcement of virus safety precautions are not enforced on this site, whether by City Hall or the police.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The living arrangements for these workers in Thailand are not much different then many countries.

Filthy, dirty, smelly, rat infested holes.  A perfect incubator for disease and infection.

I am surprised there have not been reports of these places in Thailand breaking out with the virus.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

The living arrangements for these workers in Thailand are not much different then many countries.

Filthy, dirty, smelly, rat infested holes.  A perfect incubator for disease and infection.

I am surprised there have not been reports of these places in Thailand breaking out with the virus.

Because if they start coughing and sit there in a corner with high fever, maybe even pass away, no one would take notice and report it?

I'm as surprised as you are. But maybe we know the answer, somewhere deep inside of us.

Edited by RedPill

6 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I’m not sure how long any country, least of all Thailand, can close down its economy for? Without a proven vaccine we are likely to see more cases when the lockdown is relaxed. So in my view a prolonged lockdown doesn’t solve the issue unless we have either a vaccine or a medicine that can stop coved-19 from killing those who are badly affected by it. Perhaps we should open up and let it burn out, whilst attempting to isolate and support those who are most likely to suffer from it?

Closing down a building site doesn’t change the above. My guess is that countries will have to open up their economies soon or they will have a bigger catastrophe on their hands. There are no solutions that are pain free, sadly.

a construction site of a 59 floor condo building on Jomtien beach road has been worked on EVER SINCE the pandemic started. I do not see social distancing on any part of the site, which I can see from my condo !!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thaitero said:

If these workers have been Thailand long time and there is no reshuffle with some new workers i quess risk is quite minimal,,

There are two condo building sites,very close to my condo at cosy beach,still working,dozens of people in close proximity.plus the local drainage work continues.

I also think the damage by not having these people earning money,is greater than the risk of covid 19.

What i have also seen...on local news story...farlangs queing up for free food handouts..

That is so bloody disgusting...the bludgers should be deported smartly..

I did not advocate construction sites closing in my OP; I want to see better safety practices. Today Singapore reported over 1000 more cases, nearly all from construction worker camps. I would not want that problem replicated in Pattaya, or anywhere else.

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Will be soon when people start traveling and moving around.

It isn't just immigrant construction workers. There are a number of deprived areas where poor people live in a very densely packed environment. If covid19 was to get into these communities there would be little to stop it.

The infection in Singapore is largely limited to the workers in their locked-down compounds.  These are run like low security prison camps with up to 20 per room and surrounded by fences and more fences.  They account for 90%+ of new daily infections due to these conditions.

Penalties for leaving include up to 6-months prison time and s$10,000 fines.

I think things are different in Thailand where laborers are still working and sometimes interact with locals.

On 4/21/2020 at 12:35 PM, AlexRich said:

I’m not sure how long any country, least of all Thailand, can close down its economy for? Without a proven vaccine we are likely to see more cases when the lockdown is relaxed. So in my view a prolonged lockdown doesn’t solve the issue unless we have either a vaccine or a medicine that can stop coved-19 from killing those who are badly affected by it. Perhaps we should open up and let it burn out, whilst attempting to isolate and support those who are most likely to suffer from it?

Closing down a building site doesn’t change the above. My guess is that countries will have to open up their economies soon or they will have a bigger catastrophe on their hands. There are no solutions that are pain free, sadly.

Sweden tried that. "herd immunity" Their death numbers are way way way above the neighboring countries.

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

Sweden tried that. "herd immunity" Their death numbers are way way way above the neighboring countries.

But far far less than UK, Italy, Spain, Belgium and France (per capita). I am not convinced and fear we are getting something wrong here. 

19 hours ago, jacko45k said:

But far far less than UK, Italy, Spain, Belgium and France (per capita). I am not convinced and fear we are getting something wrong here. 

I thought it was good they were compared to other countries with a similar climate and customs etc.

I know we are getting many things wrong. Our Dear Leader says to inject bleach into our veins. And shine a bright light in ourselves.