One-month-old infant recovers from coronavirus in Thailand

webfact

One-month-old infant recovers from coronavirus in Thailand

By Juarawee Kittisilpa

2020-04-22T132806Z_1_LYNXNPEG3L1AG_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND-BABY.JPG

A nurse poses for a picture with a one-month-old Thai baby, the country's youngest coronavirus disease (COVID-19) patient that has successfully recovered, a day before being discharged from Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute in Bangkok, Thailand April 22, 2020. REUTERS/Jorge Silva

BANGKOK (Reuters) - A one-month-old Thai baby, the country's youngest coronavirus patient, has successfully recovered from the illness thanks to a team of medics and the use of a cocktail of antiviral drugs, a doctor said on Wednesday.

After close consultations with pharmaceutical physicians and other medical experts, the team decided to use four antiviral drugs to cure the baby.

"The strategy used to treat this child was to give him medication for 10 days," Visal Moolasart, the paediatrician who treated the baby at the Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute in Bangkok, told Reuters.

"We conducted a health check on him every day and three to five days after that, his X-rays showed signs of gradual recovery."

Despite the challenges in treating infants under a year old due to restrictions on certain medications, Visal said the symptoms in young children tend to be less severe than in adults.

Thailand on Wednesday reported 15 new coronavirus cases and one new death, bringing the national total to 2,826 confirmed cases and 49 deaths.

Despite the slowing of new cases, officials remained cautious and said the best way to contain the coronavirus outbreak was for the public to stay home and continue social distancing.

(Writing by Kay Johnson; Editing by Mike Collett-White)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-23

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

his X-rays showed signs of gradual recovery

You're going to have to explain this to me......A less than month old infant zapped with X-rays. What indication is there on the film that viruses exist? Is it referring to a chest image showing the state of the lungs?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

This is getting scary, and I don,t mean the virus, I mean about what they are doing to people without their permission ????

How are you going to get a permission from a one month old infant? I am pretty sure that the parents gave their permission for treatment, whatever that might say when they probably better off leaving things they do not understand to the professionals.

To me it sounds like a good story. They probably did what was deemed necessary and the result out of that looks promising. Isn´t that all we can ask for, or would you be happier they left the baby without treatment?

Edited by Matzzon