In a first, Missouri sues China over coronavirus economic losses

webfact

14 minutes ago, missoura said:

China cares about China and nothing else.

From my recent experience with Chinese professor lady, I am very positive China is the last remaining third world except North Korea and Ethiopia. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

China didn't give a rodent's rectum about the Hague backing the Philippines in 2016.

Even if the Hague eventually rules in favour of Missouri, China would laugh and tell the great US of A to take a flying leap.

Here's the truth:

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Ginsburg said he thought the recent flurry of lawsuits against China serves a political end for Republican leaders facing an election in November.

5 minutes ago, rasmus5150 said:

Stop all the law-suits and hit them where it hurts.

The Economy.

Chinese-Money.jpg

Like the image!

Recent history demonstrates China is a lot smarter than the US with economic retaliation

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

A legal doctrine called sovereign immunity offers foreign governments broad protection from being sued in U.S. courts, said Tom Ginsburg, a professor of international law at the University of Chicago.

Ginsburg said he thought the recent flurry of lawsuits against China serves a political end for Republican leaders facing an election in November.

"We are seeing a lot of people on the political right focus on the China issue to cover up for the U.S. government's own errors," Ginsburg said.

Says it all, doesn't it? Also, two-thirds of the lawyers in the world are American lawyers.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

Would it be legally possible for a state to sue the federal government over mishandling of this, probably based on negligence?

In general to sue the federal government for damages requires approval by the government. You can take it from there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Born and raised in Missouri.  Haven't been back since 1970 but I still have a better grasp of what that state means than apparently some who still live there.   First is the guy whose father told him the "Show me" state motto is because people are too stupid they have to be shown everything.  Well I can't comment on his family but here is the real reasoning behind the motto:

""" the "Show Me State" got its nickname because of the devotion of its people to simple common sense. In 1899, Rep. Willard D. Vandiver said, "Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I'm from Missouri.  Show me.  """

The second thing that tickles my funny bone is the lawsuit.  Of course it is symbolic.  There is no way anyone is going to be able to collect any judgement from China even if they find standing in a court and win a case.  And it is neither Republican or Democrat party hiding incompetence.   We will see more of these from other states and other countries as various governments decide to shift some blame away from themselves for this pandemic.   

And sometimes symbolism is a good thing.  If it reminds people that are frustrated with the destruction this is causing their lives that the source of the virus might be caused due to negligence and incompetence of the Chinese government great.  They can decide if they wish to boycott goods and services from there which WILL be consequential for the nation of China.  

OK, off my soapbox.  Waiting to see the Chinese government respond as an international partner regarding the Wuhan lab and "show me".

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jimmybcool said:

Born and raised in Missouri.  Haven't been back since 1970 but I still have a better grasp of what that state means than apparently some who still live there.   First is the guy whose father told him the "Show me" state motto is because people are too stupid they have to be shown everything.  Well I can't comment on his family but here is the real reasoning behind the motto:

""" the "Show Me State" got its nickname because of the devotion of its people to simple common sense. In 1899, Rep. Willard D. Vandiver said, "Frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I'm from Missouri.  Show me.  """

The second thing that tickles my funny bone is the lawsuit.  Of course it is symbolic.  There is no way anyone is going to be able to collect any judgement from China even if they find standing in a court and win a case.  And it is neither Republican or Democrat party hiding incompetence.   We will see more of these from other states and other countries as various governments decide to shift some blame away from themselves for this pandemic.   

And sometimes symbolism is a good thing.  If it reminds people that are frustrated with the destruction this is causing their lives that the source of the virus might be caused due to negligence and incompetence of the Chinese government great.  They can decide if they wish to boycott goods and services from there which WILL be consequential for the nation of China.  

OK, off my soapbox.  Waiting to see the Chinese government respond as an international partner regarding the Wuhan lab and "show me".

It is not symbolism,

IMO it is deflecting responsibility. It is giving some , something to hang their hat on when rationalising decisions, And at the same time it is spending public funds on an politically motivated stunt , that could be better spend solving the situation.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, sirineou said:

It is not symbolism,

IMO it is deflecting responsibility. It is giving some , something to hang their hat on when rationalising decisions, And at the same time it is spending public funds on an politically motivated stunt , that could be better spend solving the situation.  

Well we can call it what we want.  Curious what you think it will cost.  Aren't the lawyers already on a fixed payroll of the state?  In any case yeah all the governments are trying to deflect from results that aren't good.  Politicians around the world are all the same.

43 minutes ago, jimmybcool said:

The second thing that tickles my funny bone is the lawsuit.  Of course it is symbolic.  There is no way anyone is going to be able to collect any judgement from China even if they find standing in a court and win a case. 

They are not counting on collecting judgement from China. The lawyers are counting on embarassing China so severely that China will approach them and pay them to drop the litigation. Not at all inconceivable that could happen.

Much like "independent American businessmen" stole German masks in Bangkok, "independent Chinese businessmen" could pay the law firm to cease its legal action.

Stranger things have happened.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jimmybcool said:

Well we can call it what we want.  Curious what you think it will cost.  Aren't the lawyers already on a fixed payroll of the state?  In any case yeah all the governments are trying to deflect from results that aren't good.  Politicians around the world are all the same.

Lawyer salaries are not the only costs associated with such action. But I should not have said costs but rather resources.  IMO if allowing political deflection to fly,  we face risk the opportunity cost of not implementing the necessary reforms to insure a  better outcomes in the future. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, stevenl said:

Would it be legally possible for a state to sue the federal government over mishandling of this, probably based on negligence?

In the USA, the federal government would have to agree (waive sovereign immunity).