Earth Day 2020: Thais looking after their environment should become the "New Normal", says environmentalist

webfact

Earth Day 2020: Thais looking after their environment should become the "New Normal", says environmentalist

2pm11.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A leading Thai scientist and environmentalist has said that he wants to see a future where stories about an abundance of animals in the wild are not unusual but are the "New Normal". 

Dr Thon Thamrongnawasawat posted on Facebook along with videos of marine life in the south of Thailand at national parks in Trang and Krabi. 

There was a herd of dugongs and a veritable shiver of black tip reef sharks near Maya Bay that has been closed to tourism for the best part of two years in an effort to help the area recover from mass tourism. 

Dr Thon, a leading academic at Kaset University, said he felt joy in his heart on Earth Day that was celebrated worldwide on Wednesday. 

But the doctor hopes that Thais will learn the lessons of the past and take care of their environment so that such pictures and videos become everyday and not something unusual. 

Thailand has been criticized for caring more about the tourist dollar than the environment that brought the visitors in the first place, notes Thaivisa. 

The closure of Maya Bay has been widely welcomed by environmentalists who caution about opening it back for tourism too soon. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-23

• Like 1

????????My neighbours throw rubbish in our property and along the roadside on our side of the road. We throw it back and then they throw it back again, and again, and again...I dont think many have evolved the knowledge of bins yet. Baby steps i think... For now we have to collect it and dispose of it most of the time. 

Its actually so bad we told the police because it is illegal so the police talked to them but it didnt stop it. They just get more cunning.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I must remember to tell people that i see almost daily throwing rubbish from Cars and Motorbikes that they should become members of the 'New Normal'.  I'm sure they will love me for it and not get the Gun/Machette/Sword/Knife they have in the car out and use it on me !

• Like 2

Thailand has seen a huge increase in single use plastics since covid19 arrived and many convenience stores are now again offering plastic bags...Thailand will never change ...period.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

????????My neighbours throw rubbish in our property and along the roadside on our side of the road. We throw it back and then they throw it back again, and again, and again...I dont think many have evolved the knowledge of bins yet. Baby steps i think... For now we have to collect it and dispose of it most of the time. 

Its actually so bad we told the police because it is illegal so the police talked to them but it didnt stop it. They just get more cunning.

What a bunch of vile, selfish creatures.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, drbeach said:

What a bunch of vile, selfish creatures.

Despite me  telling our two  workers  not to throw  their  rubbish  on the neighbours  land, despite them  having a  rubbish  bin,  despite  we  supply them with large  rubbish bags free and  despite the weekly rubbish collection which I pay for they still throw rubbish onto the neighbours  land.