Coronavirus: First patients injected in UK vaccine trial

Macthehat

All these (too) early bold announcements of vaccine breakthroughs are merely fund raising initiatives. Don't expect any vaccination before 2022. Let's hope other prophylactic means are identified, that treatment protocols improve and that the refinement of social distancing rules will allo the economy to restart.

Edited by Boomer6969

A vaccine is not super hard to design now days. It's the long trials and testing that takes time and money.  They have been slowly researching corona virus vaccines since the SARS days.

A truly novel technique, direct antibody injections, could beat vaccines. They design and manufacture antibodies against the virus. Instant immunity, vaccines can take weeks to provide full immunity.

The biggest barrier may be nCoV2019's nastiness, it's not a well behaved virus.

• Like 1

The fastest ever successful vaccine was for mumps. Took 4 years. 

journalists love an optimistic story in this time of gloom and doom.

On the other hand, if you want optimism, there was already a fair amount of research on coronaviruses because of SARS so the research is not starting from scratch. Also, there has never been such a concentrated effort from the top scientists all over the world to solve something. So they may beat 4 years.

23 minutes ago, chessman said:

On the other hand, if you want optimism, there was already a fair amount of research on coronaviruses because of SARS so the research is not starting from scratch. Also, there has never been such a concentrated effort from the top scientists all over the world to solve something. So they may beat 4 years.

Unfortunately we don't have four years IMO we don't even have four months , this lockdown is not economically feasible but more importantly (it shouldn't be but it is) , it is not politically feasible. One way or another a solution (even a pretend solution) will be found in the next few months. 

I lost 26% of my retirement portfolio,  I panicked and pulled out, then the market started going North so I got back in  hoping to regain some of my losses, now I gain back 3% then a couple of days I lose it , then I regain it again , it's nerve wracking. I have a friend who opened a nail salon  last year, another who opened a Thai restaurant , for them big investments. I was thinking in going in with them, (thank god I did not) . If this thing continues another two months they are done!!!

multiply this by thousands,

This  is not sustainable. 

Edited by sirineou

7 hours ago, Henryford said:

A Corona virus "vaccine" after 3 months ha ha. Like they have been looking for a cold/flu/HIV vaccine for 100 years. This is jus a PR stunt so the big Pharma can make billions for a "cure".

If the vaccine were developed in the US, I'm sure that you would be correct. However, it's being developed by university researchers in the UK and financed by the government not big pharma. A much more altruistic lot us Brits. We share not shaft.

BTW. New 'flu vaccines are developed every winter and HIV hasn't been around for 100 years.

Edited by Phil McCaverty

36 minutes ago, chessman said:

Pretty sure Ebola was a lot quicker than that.

But yes, it does normally take years. And while having a multitude of teams working on it around the world at the same time helps, much of what it is that takes years can't be rushed no matter how many trials are underway because it is a matter of prospectively following cohorts of people over time to identify any long term ill effects, determine level of protection etc

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Pretty sure Ebola was a lot quicker than that.

But yes, it does normally take years. And while having a multitude of teams working on it around the world at the same time helps, much of what it is that takes years can't be rushed no matter how many trials are underway because it is a matter of prospectively following cohorts of people over time to identify any long term ill effects, determine level of protection etc

The Oxford team are confident that they can have a million doses ready by September. They are using a version of a common cold virus that has been modified not only so that it doesn't cause symptoms, but also so it carries some genetic material of the coronavirus. They also developed a vaccine for MERS and Ebola.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-why-oxford-university-is-so-confident-in-an-early-vaccine-win-11977568

I might add that while it is possible efficacy can be established that quickly (if enough people in the trial and natural infection rates in their population remain high) safety data will be incomplete.

Between that and the sheer impossibility if producing the hundreds of millions (if not  billions)  of doses needed,  it will be necessary to screen and prioritize who receives it to ensure potential benefit outweighs potential risks. They will know immediate side effects but a trial of months rather than years can't assess possible longer term effects.

Given the pressing need it will probably be approved but with a number of caveats.

Europ. Labs have been working on this subject "SARS Virus" for two years now, supported by funds from their national governments and the European Union. Most likely by late summer 2020 they will be able to start testing.