Govt can consider reopening some virus free districts, says expert

snoop1130

Govt can consider reopening some virus free districts, says expert

By The Nation

800_e7911cc5c0f83ff.jpg

Dr Chalermchai Boonyaleepun

Dr Chalermchai Boonyaleepun, vice president of the Public Health Committee, said on Friday (April 24) that the government should consider lifting restrictions in some districts that have been free of new Covid-19 infections for the past 28 days.

However, he said, before easing any lockdown measures, the government should ensure that there will not be a spike in new infections.

“Meanwhile, all sectors will still have to follow preventive measures such as maintaining social distances, wearing masks, refraining from gatherings and washing hands regularly,” he said.

“If the number of Covid-19 patients is likely to increase, then the government must put in place even stricter measures.”

He said that if reopening some districts was far too risky, then the government can consider easing restrictions on some activities that pose a low risk of infection.

“The government should also issue additional measures to mitigate risks, such as screening people constantly,” he said.

He added that people’s behaviour will have to be changed in the long-term because this disease may last for at least one year if not up to five years.

“This outbreak has had and will have an effect on people’s daily lives. If, for example, it is found later that the virus can be transmitted in the space of four metres, then people will have to maintain a distance of at least four metres from each other.

“This new normal will hit all aspects of life, including economy, health, culture and even the very philosophy of life.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386716

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-24

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

all this because 50 already sick or elderly people died in a 2 month time frame

there's probably been more deaths as a result of business closures 

Oh yes especially after canceling their biggest holiday of the year it’s economic suicide. 

39 minutes ago, Ketyo said:

“This outbreak has had and will have an effect on people’s daily lives. If, for example, it is found later that the virus can be transmitted in the space of four metres, then people will have to maintain a distance of at least four metres from each other"

What an idiot. It's not as simple as that. The risk just decreases a bit every metre further away you get. Particles from sneezes were found up to 9 metres away according to a study they showed last week. And particles can stay on hard surfaces like walls and floors and doors even where no covid paitients have been. In one experiment they swabbed the floor of a hospital pharmacy and found it covered with viruses in areas that patients aren't allowed. It was carried on the shoes of people who had been walking around the wards. 

The politicians can say ignorant and dumb things. But this guy is a doctor. I think he is the one that said people should wear facemasks at home and stay more than 2m away from family members.

Does this mean couples will have to live in seperate space bubbles for a couple of months them unite in one space bubble to have the time of their life for a couple of months,, sort of like a warm-up for space travel

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sharp said:

Well its a good job all the new stats coming out around the world are showing this Panic,Demic, is no more prevalent than normal Flu or Influenza.

Not even close to be true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ketyo said:

“This outbreak has had and will have an effect on people’s daily lives. If, for example, it is found later that the virus can be transmitted in the space of four metres, then people will have to maintain a distance of at least four metres from each other"

What an idiot. It's not as simple as that.

They are now saying that the virus can attach to pollution particles and potentially travel long distances.

So you are not going to be able to go out unless you wear a full body suit. 

Or they get rid of the pollution. Fat chance of that.

Do they really have any understanding of anything other than people control.

They are eventually going to have to accept that people need to go about their business with the risk of getting the virus, albeit with practical levels of control.

They have done nothing much recently to stop some big business.

Construction sites carry on as if nothing has happened. Why is this allowed. One rule for the masses with small businesses, others for big business owners.

Some roads are still extremely busy.

When will these people get some sense and realize that they need to start to figure out how many people have the virus and there is effectively only one way to do that.

WHO has stated. Test, test and test.

Current testing numbers here are pathetic. At the rate they are going it is correct that this will be here for years.

Temperature screening is not going to find out.

2 hours ago, Ketyo said:

and stay more than 2m away from family members.

Probably worked for him. Good alternative to birth control pills as well no doubt.

Increasing the distance is not , as you rightly say, a simple equation, the probability (or so it seems to me) is that the inverse square law is going to be in there somewhere.

Impact? certainly, but I strongly believe that those who are starting to give themselves a little pat on the back and a larger pat on the ego, are going to get a serious come-uppance come the Autumn when the second wave hits. As it will.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sharp said:

Cant wait for the Airlines to hear your great advice .

Personally when this all rinses out we know its about Flu level numbers it will be quick smart back to normal .

Damage done  incalculable..

The announcement has nothing to do with inbound flights. It's about opening up provinces/districts and which is actually up the provincial governor. 

15 minutes ago, jojothai said:

They are now saying that the virus can attach to pollution particles and potentially travel long distances.

So you are not going to be able to go out unless you wear a full body suit. 

Or they get rid of the pollution. Fat chance of that.

Do they really have any understanding of anything other than people control.

They are eventually going to have to accept that people need to go about their business with the risk of getting the virus, albeit with practical levels of control.

They have done nothing much recently to stop some big business.

Construction sites carry on as if nothing has happened. Why is this allowed. One rule for the masses with small businesses, others for big business owners.

Some roads are still extremely busy.

When will these people get some sense and realize that they need to start to figure out how many people have the virus and there is effectively only one way to do that.

WHO has stated. Test, test and test.

Current testing numbers here are pathetic. At the rate they are going it is correct that this will be here for years.

Temperature screening is not going to find out.

"Some roads are still extremely busy."

Extremely,really? Where,if I may ask? 

15 hours ago, smedly said:

think script writers 

I wish you hadn't said that. Now I can't get those horrid Thai-language-dubbed movies out of my head or out of the wife's hands. And truly horrible they most certainly are.

• Haha 1

The gov is doing the look at me look at me how good are we at containing this and they are not going to let go while they have their 15 minutes even though the figures they are using are more rubbery than Prayut's " democratic government ".

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ParkerN said:

It seems to me to be very great shame that, however qualified someone may be, as soon as I see a Thai name, I feel an almost immediate uprising of dubiousness, cynicism, and doubt. 

It seems to me unlikely, that every Thai is a clown, whose only real concern is to see their name in print even though that would be the reasonable conclusion to come to after 16 years of exposure to Thais. No matter, henceforth I am going to try and mitigate within myself the uprisings of dubiousness, cynicism, and doubt, which I get whenever  noticing that an otherwise sensible article is written by somebody with a Thai name. Please God the Thais themselves cannot or do not manage to sabotage this strategy.

We each have to make progress in our own way, and according to our own timescale. That seems to be a law.

I've just come to terms that in order to look like they know what they are doing the unintelligent Thais will copy what the corresponding Falang are doing so if the west come to the conclusion from they widespread testing that this outbreak is similar to a normal flu event and go back to normal without the new normal then the unintelligent of the Thais (those in charge) will no doubt do the same only they will try and do it quicker to make it seem like it was their idea in the first place.Beware the cure Thai style?

• Like 2