SURVEY: Time to open up or not?

Scott

SURVEY: Time to open up or not?  

389 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, SteveB2 said:

More than 20,000 People die in road traffic accidents in Thailand every year - No one seams to worry and no one seams to care enough to implement the necessary regulations and enforcement to prevent this carnage.

51 people (as of 26 April 2020) die from COVID-19 in Thailand - and everyone looses their mind.

That is not even a 1 in a million chance of death from COVID-19 in a country of 65 million people.

Why are people in Thailand worrying so much about this virus, when there are so many other things that can kill you today?

Good scene, I've quoted that one myself several times.

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Some restaurants did a lot of cleaning and distance between the tables before they were closed.

It seems the risk of getting the virus from touching the same surface that an infected person touched is very low. Looking at the stats and stories who got how infected there was always person to person contact - at least that is what I read. The possibility to get infected from surfaces is certainly not zero. But it seems very very low. I take that risk - at least in a place which is cleaned how a restaurant should be cleaned.

Is there any UV light in Bangkok? I live here since forever and I don't get any darker skin, even in direct sunlight. Some time ago I visited a guy once a week in Minburi on my bike. I was maybe for 10 minutes exposed to sunlight in the Minburi area and my arms were brown when I returned. 10min vs all the time in inner city Bangkok. This is why I am convinced there is not much UV light in inner city Bangkok.

Bangkok has UV rates to the extreme and top of the scale at 12 , dangerous especially around the middle of the day . The chart below is for the Saturday 2nd May . Today is level 8 or 9 which is still very high and progresses to 12 through the week . I guess the situation in Bangkok with its high buildings prevents the sun from getting to the people .   

There is a video on UK TV which shows how the virus is spread . Through super imposed graphics the spread is by way of coughing , sneezing , close human contact and contaminated surfaces . The last point is mitigated by the washing of your hands for minimum of 20 seconds or alcohol gel of 70% ^  as we all know . Restaurants with good hygiene practices in Thailand ? I leave that to your discretion but I would be more relaxed if the eatery was in a Province with zero virus outbreaks .

eaterieuv index Thailand Asia Forecast maps

2 minutes ago, superal said:

Bangkok has UV rates to the extreme and top of the scale at 12 , dangerous especially around the middle of the day . The chart below is for the Saturday 2nd May . Today is level 8 or 9 which is still very high and progresses to 12 through the week . I guess the situation in Bangkok with its high buildings prevents the sun from getting to the people .   

There is a video on UK TV which shows how the virus is spread . Through super imposed graphics the spread is by way of coughing , sneezing , close human contact and contaminated surfaces . The last point is mitigated by the washing of your hands for minimum of 20 seconds or alcohol gel of 70% ^  as we all know . Restaurants with good hygiene practices in Thailand ? I leave that to your discretion but I would be more relaxed if the eatery was in a Province with zero virus outbreaks .

eaterieuv index Thailand Asia Forecast maps

I am sure if you would measure the UV 1000m above Bangkok it would be high. But not on street level and not even in 40 story buildings.

Are you a cheap Charly? Bangkok has many very good restaurants including high hygiene standards. As usual you get what you pay for.

Chesa-Restaurant-Bangkok-Thailand-002-nx

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am sure if you would measure the UV 1000m above Bangkok it would be high. But not on street level and not even in 40 story buildings.

Are you a cheap Charly? Bangkok has many very good restaurants including high hygiene standards. As usual you get what you pay for.

Chesa-Restaurant-Bangkok-Thailand-002-nx

UV levels are taken at ground level otherwise whats the point .   So everyone eats at high standard restaurants as your picture above with no customers ? So they will change the table cloths after each sitting as they cannot be sanitised   ? Please send us a picture of you in one of your classy restaurants eating maybe a soup starter and main course spaghetti with your mask on  . 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I forget who started this Bangkok has low UV discussion, anyway, based on my own experience, I disagree.  As far as I am aware, most UV index measurements are taken at around street level (presumably somewhere in direct sunlight - perhaps a rooftop) , after all that is what is relevant for people.

Cloud cover has some reducing effect, e.g today (being cloudy) the Bangkok UV index is 9 'very high', whereas for the clearer day forecast tomorrow it should be an 11, 'extreme'. By comparison the UK very rarely reaches an 8.

There's certainly plenty of opportunities to get into shade in Bangkok but why would the direct sunlight UV index be much different from anywhere else in central Thailand ?

• Like 1

Go out and look around , many things are open and The open markets are full of people. West a mask and wash your hands. The shut down has caused far more suffering than this disease. Go look at all the people standing in Line for free food . Some have shown up hours before it starts.

31 minutes ago, superal said:

UV levels are taken at ground level otherwise whats the point .   So everyone eats at high standard restaurants as your picture above with no customers ? So they will change the table cloths after each sitting as they cannot be sanitised   ? Please send us a picture of you in one of your classy restaurants eating maybe a soup starter and main course spaghetti with your mask on  . 

Sorry, I have no soup picture. How about ice-cream? And that filled the whole picture and didn't leave any space for me.

IMG_20200311_164835.thumb.jpg.1ee208ce4bbcd6eb3805ee9d537bedff.jpg

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, realfunster said:

I forget who started this Bangkok has low UV discussion, anyway, based on my own experience, I disagree.  As far as I am aware, most UV index measurements are taken at around street level (presumably somewhere in direct sunlight - perhaps a rooftop) , after all that is what is relevant for people.

Cloud cover has some reducing effect, e.g today (being cloudy) the Bangkok UV index is 9 'very high', whereas for the clearer day forecast tomorrow it should be an 11, 'extreme'. By comparison the UK very rarely reaches an 8.

There's certainly plenty of opportunities to get into shade in Bangkok but why would the direct sunlight UV index be much different from anywhere else in central Thailand ?

Bangkok has dirty air!

I am not sure how much color (getting brown in the sun) is directly proportional to UV light but it's definitely related. I spend 99% of my time in central Bangkok and I don't get a tan. Even in England people get a tan.

Since the measures were ridiculous to begin with, too late and way not enough testing, it really doesn't matter!

So let the people go back to work and hide the spike of new deaths behind fake numbers, like they do all along!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

They had a good system in place after all the epidemics that pop up in regular intervals from China. Test & track. Thailand is struggling to get the testing done, never mind a coordinated response.

• Like 1

NY Times -- April 26, 2020, 8:03 p.m. ET

In Southern California, a heat wave this weekend foreshadowed the likely challenges that lay ahead for governors and mayors trying to sustain social distancing efforts as spring turns to summer.

Despite pleas from state and local leaders to stay home, tens of thousands of people flocked to beaches that were open in Orange County on Saturday. Photographs of Newport Beach and Huntington Beach showed large crowds staking out patches of sand with beach towels and umbrellas. The Orange County Register reported that as many as 40,000 people went to the beach in Newport Beach on Friday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/26/us/coronavirus-updates.html

461355974_NewportBCA.jpg.e6b1ee27aee2fcdab6fdb405a6f21914.jpg

1 hour ago, UbonThani said:

So the world has no diseases?

As I recall your postulation was that the world cannot rid itself of disease. Clearly it can, if indeed it wants to. Viruses are more difficult as they mutate quickly eg HIV so altering the degree of immunity. 

Stay safe. 

3 hours ago, ToddinChonburi said:

Go out and look around , many things are open and The open markets are full of people. West a mask and wash your hands. The shut down has caused far more suffering than this disease. Go look at all the people standing in Line for free food . Some have shown up hours before it starts.

Thats a pretty fair statement Todd. Ive just been out in Udon, people everywhere, but masked. 

My comment to you, for thought not disagreement is that viral transmission can only occur if its actually present. By shutting down & reducing transmission early on Thailand nipped it in the bud. 

I know thats very simplistic but we are both alive gagging for a beer ????????????

Take care. 

Edited by lagavulin1
Typo

On 4/26/2020 at 2:04 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

The problem is that many people are stupid. If nobody tells them what to do they do whatever they want - without any thinking.

If all people would be smart and rational then we wouldn't need speed controls, laws which don't allow driving under influence and laws against many more stupid activities. Fact is those laws are necessary to stop at least many if stupid idiots.

By this logic alcohol should be illegal because stupid people.may abuse it.  Sex should be illegal because stupid people could spread  diseases and have stupid kids.  Knives should be illegal because stupid people will cut off their fingers and swimming pools should be illegal because some may drown.  I could go on for says but I think you get the point.

You can't take away freedoms of the masses because some are stupid or irresponsible.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, yourauntbob said:

By this logic alcohol should be illegal because stupid people.may abuse it.  Sex should be illegal because stupid people could spread  diseases and have stupid kids.  Knives should be illegal because stupid people will cut off their fingers and swimming pools should be illegal because some may drown.  I could go on for says but I think you get the point.

You can't take away freedoms of the masses because some are stupid or irresponsible.  

I guess you are not from a 'stand your ground' state then (United States)...  if you are irresponsible and invade my social distance I should be able to see you as a threat and of course stop you from doing that... by shooting you... it would be more difficult for you to invade my space...  ????

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, yourauntbob said:

Actually it is illegal to drink alcohol when driving. Some sexual activities are illegal. Lots of types of knifes are illegal in many countries and kids are not allowed near swimming pools without adults. All those laws do exist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, belfast3 said:

Can't go out and exercise at the gym or eat a meal because we might die from virus that has killed 207,265 people this year.

But perfectly ok to go out and buy cigarettes that have killed 1,608,239 in the same timeframe ????

Serious contradiction of restrictions on civil liberties.  

Second hand smoke is heavily regulated.  You are not allowed to smoke in the same room as other people who are smoking or not smoking.  So if you setup a gym at home during this time - or rent the entire gym just for yourself... you should be free to do that.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Actually it is illegal to drink alcohol when driving. Some sexual activities are illegal. Lots of types of knifes are illegal in many countries and kids are not allowed near swimming pools without adults. All those laws do exist.

wrong, you purposefully distorted every point.  try arguing without being changing what i stated.  id imagine you cant which is why you went the dishonest route.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yourauntbob said:

wrong, you purposefully distorted every point.  try arguing without being changing what i stated.  id imagine you cant which is why you went the dishonest route.

Relax!

I think we can agree lots of activities are illegal. And many of them have to be illegal because otherwise lots of stupid idiots would do things they shouldn't do.

Most of us don't need to know lots of laws because a little thinking is enough to know if some activity is legal or illegal.

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Second hand smoke is heavily regulated.  You are not allowed to smoke in the same room as other people who are smoking or not smoking.  So if you setup a gym at home during this time - or rent the entire gym just for yourself... you should be free to do that.

I can still choose my own demise through smoking, if I so wish. So shouldn't I be entitled to risk my own life going outside and contracting covid-19?

I did not vote ,and i feel really sorry for those that cannot work and really wish them no harm ,but on a very selfish level ,the lockdown is great ,very little traffic ,going to the supermarket a  treat ,lots of parking ,no josteling Chinese and Russians ,saving lots of cash ,quite liking it . getting to watch lots of tv shows i would never have had the time to watch.

but as i said for the people who need to work ,it needs to end for them.

I am hoping that the Thai cabinet will today make the following announcements based on reality of the current situation per province .

Those that have not had any cases of the virus to be able to return to normality but no travel out of their province without authority .

Provinces without the virus infection for 14 days to have many restrictions lifted e.g. non essential goods can now be purchased , schools to be opened on a  phased return when the new term begins . alcohol to be sold for home consumption only , inter province buses and coaches to operate again , sports such as tennis , badminton , athletics and golf courses to reopen , restaurants to reopen without alcohol , shopping malls to fully open , plus many more no doubt .

To tell the people of Thailand to endure another 5 weeks of loss of income , getting into debt and going without food in many cases is asking too much and will be seen as overkill in unaffected provinces . The promise of the 5000 baht to ease the sufferance has not reached the majority of the needy for some reason or other !   

20 hours ago, belfast3 said:

Can't go out and exercise at the gym or eat a meal because we might die from virus that has killed 207,265 people this year.

But perfectly ok to go out and buy cigarettes that have killed 1,608,239 in the same timeframe ????

Serious contradiction of restrictions on civil liberties.  

I don't know whether you are correct or not about how many people have died from smoking in the same time-frame.

My question is How many people who had their first ever cigarette this year have died from smoking related disease in the same time-frame? I wouldn't mind guessing zero.

1 hour ago, loong said:

I don't know whether you are correct or not about how many people have died from smoking in the same time-frame.

My question is How many people who had their first ever cigarette this year have died from smoking related disease in the same time-frame? I wouldn't mind guessing zero.

It's over 1.6 million people this year so far have died from smoking. Covid-19 - statistically, isn't a huge killer. Obviously any loss of human life is tragic, but humans only seem to care in certain situations.

Millions of lives could be saved every year if we banned smoking like we've banned people going outside, but there is financial motivation to let millions of people die. 

The only reason that people care so much about covid-19 is because of the media and because they're afraid it might affect them. Most of the world couldn't care less about other diseases and problems that only affect specific countries. 

Hunger kills 25,000 people per day and is totally preventable, but there's no widespread media campaign about that. Imagine what could be achieved if we all took the same level of action to save other lives by other means.

Edited by belfast3