Two Americans afraid to go back home, want to remain in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, DaveK68 said:

The US has 330 Million people and 50 States.

An anecdotal video shows nothing of the experience in the US.

You may as well show a video of Jussie Smollet and say that his is the American experience.

I Was Jumped by Coronavirus,' Jussie Smollett Says - The ...

Former 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett was attacked early Monday morning by a violent Coronavirus gang, the actor told Chicago police. Smollett was walking.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Cali farong said:

So these two came in 14 days ago with health certificates and 100,000 corona insurance and they want to stay in a quarantine center.

something don’t sound right???

I think they said they want to remain in Thailand. Not that they would like to remain in quarantine.

On 4/27/2020 at 9:50 AM, JoePai said:

Sensible, who in their right mind would want to go back to the US?

I'd much rather be in the USA than Europe and wait till they catch it and have to go to the hospital and their bill is higher than in the USA, which I guarantee. Anyway, I'd rather stay there - cheap food, room and board, get to stay there for a while longer with no need to extend visa, no tourists to bother you - especially not Chinese, people waiting to help you out cause they need money, and being in a foreign country during this mess - forever memories and nothing that you have to do.

23 hours ago, b17 said:

I've been employed as a teacher for the past 35 years in international schools in Japan, Singapore and Thailand, and I can assure you that I have never surfed Facebook or any other social media site while working.  To my knowledge, neither have any of my colleagues. Your rude, thoughtless and hurtful opinions are not appreciated, and I suggest that if you have nothing good to say, say NOTHING. 

Thank you for your service. I would imagine the OP is talking about Thai teachers at Thai schools who teach English but can hardly speak or understand the language. Teaching there myself and living at a school is Issan, I've seen this and I have a couple friends who are just like who I describe. 

18 hours ago, Guderian said:

Or Europe? 

I go back to the UK twice a year, but as one of the "Vulnerables" I'm starting to think it may be wiser to stay in Thailand until there's a vaccine available. 

Same, same, but different! I've not been back to the UK since 2015, but I may have to go back for financial/medical reasons, but I'm trying to put it off! 

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I just spoke to my father, and he indicated that there is now a glut of food at stores and the prices have been reduced by as much as 30% where he is living in Northern California.  His city has also only had 5 Covid-19 infections and they have all been released from the hospital.  Yet the whole of California is still shutdown.

Sounds a bit like Koh Samui!

5 hours ago, korse said:

They can return with no fear...They only have to follow the advice given by the <deleted> yellow clown - drink bleach and stick a flashlight up their asses.

Possibly performed in a back room at Immigration?

3 hours ago, allen303 said:

April 28, 2020, 05:14 GMT update:

Total cases: 3,065,090

Recovered: 922,848

Died: 211,620

That’s the whole world. Are you trying to get a job writing  for the Washington Compost?

Or as a statistician at TAT?

41 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

Thank you for your service. I would imagine the OP is talking about Thai teachers at Thai schools who teach English but can hardly speak or understand the language. Teaching there myself and living at a school is Issan, I've seen this and I have a couple friends who are just like who I describe. 

"Teaching there myself and living at a school is Issan, I've seen this and I have a couple friends who are just like who I describe"

And you are a teacher? Where did you buy your qualifications? Khaosan Road?

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2020 at 2:59 PM, BTB1977 said:

Want to stay in quarantine means don't have money.  And like free room and board.  

Or, they are using their street smarts and taking advantage of the situation!

Poor young falang girls ,scared to fly with Covid looming !

That's not a bad idea as long as they can foot the bill!

31 minutes ago, treetops said:

QFT.

I feel your about to get pelters for being a smart ass, but being wrong.

The word "your" is about opinions in this sentence.  Google tells me it's a possessive determinator.  Rude is an adjective (one of three) describing these opinions.

Think of it as the difference between "you're a rude poster" and "your rude posts" and you'll see.

Same as "it's" and "its". 

"It's" is an abbreviation for "it is" whereas "Its" means belonging to it !

"You're"  "      "         "       "you are"  "      "your" "     "         "         you!                

56 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Then as a teacher, you would know that the "word" is "you're" not "your" (rude...)

Maybe just a typo?

No, YOU are wrong!  See above!

Edited by sambum

12 minutes ago, sambum said:

"Teaching there myself and living at a school is Issan, I've seen this and I have a couple friends who are just like who I describe"

And you are a teacher? Where did you buy your qualifications? Khaosan Road?

Where is this Khaosan road you speak of? I did not know they give teaching certificates there. I should've went there. Are they cheap? Is that where you got yours?

Edited by curlylekan

12 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

Where is this Khaosan road you speak of? I did not know they give teaching certificates there. I should've went there. Are they cheap? Is that where you got yours?

I should've went there? You're an English teacher at an Issan school? That makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, curlylekan said:

Nah, I work in Logistics in the Netherlands. Would you like a care package to cheer you up?

Not really,  just had a good bonk with my GF and she has brought me a mussuman curry for dinner.

You did claim to be teaching English at an Issan school in a prior post, so you either have memory problems or are economical with the truth. On the other hand, you can take what I say as gospel.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, curlylekan said:

Have you been in Thailand long? 

And if you are a teacher it explains a lot about the education (or lack of it)

"Let's start at the beginning":- (and yes I am being pedantic!)

"Teaching there" should be preceded by "I am"

"a school is Issan" should be "a school IN Issan"

"just like who I describe" should be "just like THOSE I describe"

"I did not know they give teaching certificates there" If you are asking how cheap they are, the statement should be " I did not know they SELL teaching certificates there. (Should it not be "Diploma"? I may be wrong)

"I should've went there" should be "I should have GONE there.

And I am not a teacher,(Or Grammar Police!) and never have been! Nor have I been to University! I was just educated properly in a pre computer and spellcheck era!

P.S. From Wikipedia:- "Khaosan (Road) shops sell handicrafts, paintings, clothes, local fruits, unlicensed CDs, DVDs, a wide range of fake IDs, used books, and other useful backpacker items."

Edited by sambum
  • Haha 1

Just now, sambum said:

Have you been in Thailand long? 

And if you are a teacher it explains a lot about the education (or lack of it)

"Let's start at the beginning":- (and yes I am being pedantic!)

"Teaching there" should be preceded by "I am"

"a school is Issan" should be "a school IN Issan"

"just like who I describe" should be "just like THOSE I describe"

"I did not know they give teaching certificates there" If you are asking how cheap they are, the statement should be " I did not know they SELL teaching certificates there. (Should it not be "Diploma"? I may be wrong)

"I should've went there" should be "I should have GONE there.

And I am not a teacher, and never have been! Nor have I been to University! I was just educated properly in a pre computer and spellcheck era!

P.S. From Wikipedia:- "Khaosan (Road) shops sell handicrafts, paintings, clothes, local fruits, unlicensed CDs, DVDs, a wide range of fake IDs, used books, and other useful backpacker items."

Thatnk you so much for your education. I will look to you next time my English ge43ts bad that I m34ust get help. Oh <deleted>, my language, is getting bad agaigrn and I should not use "I am before teaching because I currently do not teach there.

Oh no, I need your corrections again. I see I did a bad job. Please correct me some more, your highness

• Sad 2