Booze industry urges govt to lift prohibition

snoop1130

20 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Plenty of speakeasies on the go....

Speakeasies were secret establishments where alcohol was illegally sold to patrons during the Prohibition. 

In the north of England where I grew up around Manchester we called them Shebeen pronounced Sha-been they operated mostly as out of hours joints not sure if legal or not the one we used to frequent you couldn't get in unless you was with someone you know and it was located on the first floor of an old Victorian house smart inside.

Shebeen

A shebeen was originally an illicit bar or club where excisable alcoholic beverages were sold without a licence. The term has spread far from its origins in Ireland, to Scotland, Canada, the United States, England, Zimbabwe, the English-speaking Caribbean, Namibia, Malawi, and South Africa.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

They also asked the government to ease the tax burden and help manage the destruction of spoiled liquor amid the Covid-19 crisis, when entertainment venues have been closed.

Help manage 'spoiled liquor' ??? I thought that most Liquor improved with age ? (Beer not included I'm afraid .... that does go 'off')

6 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

In the north of England where I grew up around Manchester we called them Shebeen pronounced Sha-been they operated mostly as out of hours joints not sure if legal or not the one we used to frequent you couldn't get in unless you was with someone you know and it was located on the first floor of an old Victorian house smart inside.

Shebeen

A shebeen was originally an illicit bar or club where excisable alcoholic beverages were sold without a licence. The term has spread far from its origins in Ireland, to Scotland, Canada, the United States, England, Zimbabwe, the English-speaking Caribbean, Namibia, Malawi, and South Africa.

Hence the question from the Mrs when you get home late....'Where's Sha-Been?'

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, British Bulldog said:

Help manage 'spoiled liquor' ??? I thought that most Liquor improved with age ? (Beer not included I'm afraid .... that does go 'off')

Agreed. I can make beer go off in 30 minutes, and turn it into foul smelling yellowish liquid!   PML

Edited by stouricks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have COPD and Liposomal Vitamin C which I make is necessary for me especially in this pandemic. The Liposomal requires alcohol to blend the lecithin, water and Ascorbic Acid. Without the alcohol I cannot make my Liposomal Vitamin C and my health can be affected. Does this government care? Also there are gatherings on buses, workvans and trucks, The BTS, Superstores and their cues, which have made COVID no worse. So the ban on alcohol is totally unnecessary. Especially when only a few people break the rules and have parties. I am sixty and like a drink at home watching a good movie and I think most are like that. Why should the whole of the country suffer as a result of a few who are disobeying the order. We are complying but are suffering for doing so. It is only a matter of time before an illegal industry will be established and we will see unlawful behaviour and gangsters and killings like in the US during prohibition. The government will be responsible for that and it's cost.

I guess I am baffled as to how stopping alcohol sales was suppose to be helpful.  What was it suppose to accomplish?  Certainly if you can go out to buy groceries adding a case of beer or bottle of alcohol is not going to increase the risk of coronavirus. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moontang said:

3) develop herd immunity and break the transmission lines to the vulnerable.  Isolation prolongs this process.

That has no worked out so well in Sweden.

A population 1/6th the size of Thailand with 2274 deaths following herd strategy.

52 times the amount of deaths.

But they had beer.

• Sad 1

Posts using content from unapproved social media sources have been removed:

18) Social Media content is not to be used as source material unless it is from a recognized or approved news media source, the source of any such material (Twitter, Facebook etc.) should always be shown.

Off topic posts and the replies have been removed.

18 hours ago, madmitch said:

I read another article a few minute ago where Anutin stated that he won't consider lifting the ban. The link is here. https://www.thaienquirer.com/12365/anutin-denies-request-by-vendors-to-partially-open-alcohol-sales/ Not sure if links to the Thai Enquirer are allowed. This does not make good reading but as the guy has made more u-turns than the average Thai pickup driver then I wouldn't read too much into it.

Yea Anutin is definitely taking up too much space and should be removed

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

Where did I say it was, I am sure it will be mentioned though. BTW I am totally relaxed, stop baiting Rob.

Just thought you thought that alcohol was banned given the link. The relax was not baiting at all. Just saying that if they ban it (and i doubt it) it would have been mentioned in that link you gave. It was not. They can still ban it. But I highly doubt it. (then again you never know but if i were a betting man id bet there would be no extention of the ban)