Well done Thailand for Covid-19 response! Foreign tourism set to return in fourth quarter

webfact

"hey family, VACATION time!!  We have 18 days of great weather.  It's expensive but I got the time off work..."

"Dad.....Thailand (name country)....Great....what will we do??"

"Well, quarantine is 14 days.....so, ah we have about 3 days of sunshine..."

oh

no vaccine this year.    i don't foresee any good testing for a very long time.  

Very encouraging to see them demonstrating 'social distancing' for the rest of us!!!!!!

Social distancing is said to be the single most effective way of preventing this virus.  As usual, one rule for them and another for us.

Thailand is a mess.

These military personnel are blathering about tourism returning.  Just reading on Bloomberg that officially Thailand doesn't expect tourism to return until a vaccine becomes available.

No, the chinese aren't coming, not a chance.  

All of SE Asia has shown very low numbers. I look for people dying to get out to come over here myself. Who doesn't want to come to a country with 50 deaths? The worldwide influx would be more of a problem for Thailand however. 

Edited by sucit

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

That's if you accept the hypothesis Thailand does not have either herd immunity or environmental factors in operation.

If environmental actors such as heat/humidity were so important then there would not have been any spread at all.  People hang out together in enclosed, often air-conditioned areas.

If Thailand had experienced widespread infection, then there would have been some herd immunity, but as we know Thailand got on to the case pretty quickly.  So there is likely hardly any group immunity.

Hence, I really think Thailand is going to be very vulnerable to re-infection- tourism is caught between a rock and a hard place.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Yuthasak said that they would initially concentrate on reviving tourism in Phuket and Koh Samui. No mention was made of Pattaya, notes Thaivisa. 

Oh please, yes, Pattaya is actually a lovely place without millions of outsiders jamming the place up. The sea in Jomtien has become so clean without hundreds of boats and jet skis spewing their filth into it that you can now see the bottom in four or five feet of sea water. Tell all the tourists that we're quarantined permanently and they'll never be allowed back in, bwah, haw, haw (Dr. Evil style laugh) 

10 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Wonderful. The $A’s finally starting to recover but the Australian Govt isn’t going to let me travel overseas for years...

4 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Link pls. you talking to your backside

Currency conversion sites such as Oanda show that the $A’s made up quite a bit of ground against the baht and the euro in the last few days.

Quote from Daily Mail 29 April - 
But Australians wishing to travel internationally after the pandemic should not expect to do so until spring or summer time, as officials warned the international travel ban won't be lifted for another six months, at the earliest.” (my emphasis). I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this becomes years, especially travel that doesn’t require 14 days quarantine under armed guard upon return. If the Aust Govt manages to eradicate the China virus within its borders with extreme lockdowns that have caused incalculable economic damage, they’re not going to risk it all by opening those borders to ordinary tourists for a very long while.

I’d be absolutely delighted if you were to prove me wrong, however.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

..... and no lessons learned.... I wish the world would put pressure on China, so that viruses in the future can not be spread to other countries. After the pandemic is before the next pandemic!! 

Edited by joloit

On 4/28/2020 at 3:47 PM, ChouDoufu said:

just learned our local hospital has covid testing available.  will have to check on waiting times and costs, as thai gf wants to go home to visit relatives when direct flights are available.

just confirmed the hospital is offering covid testing for 230 RMB, about 1000 baht.

and that's a good thing, i guess.  found out today that we here on hainan have a new case, first new case in over six weeks.  63-yo returnee from wuhan, asymptomatic. 

they traced and tested 344 contacts.  closed and disinfected her housing area and a nearby supermarket.  (actually a small shop about the size of a mini-tesco convenience mart)

worrying.  those from wuhan are required to undergo 14 days quarantine, being tested on arrival and again before release, same as with the overseas returnees.

Edited by ChouDoufu

On 4/28/2020 at 6:59 AM, NCC1701A said:

so what happens during the next flu season? you remember the flu, don't you? the one where you get a sore throat, then a fever and then you cough a lot.  

Yeah had that last 3 visits never knew of it was flu or the danger level pollution.

21 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:
On 4/28/2020 at 7:00 PM, CygnusX1 said:

Wonderful. The $A’s finally starting to recover but the Australian Govt isn’t going to let me travel overseas for years...

Link pls. you talking to your backside

ooops a few minutes later eh ????

cygnusx1 accepts your apology.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

just confirmed the hospital is offering covid testing for 230 RMB, about 1000 baht.

and that's a good thing, i guess.  found out today that we here on hainan have a new case, first new case in over six weeks.  63-yo returnee from wuhan, asymptomatic. 

they traced and tested 344 contacts.  closed and disinfected her housing area and a nearby supermarket.  (actually a small shop about the size of a mini-tesco convenience mart)

worrying.  those from wuhan are required to undergo 14 days quarantine, being tested on arrival and again before release, same as with the overseas returnees.

Chinese virus test was perceived to be not accurate overseas.  It is cheap but it is better if one can have end or 3rd test just to be sure.  By the way, when do you think China will open again for foreigners to enter?

I dont think  international travels can be paused for long . It will  destroy the whole airlines business - hotel industry as well . pattaya will be dead for sure if it dont open soon.   Airlines probably will start doing covid testing for boarding and landing and countries doing quarantine -  It might be expensive to travel but I think it will  start sooner with controls.

• Like 1

thais have been seduced my mass tourism over 20odd years and the easy money gravey train and they think it will be all return to normal but they maybe sorely dissapointed...when its just a trickle of 2 week jiggy jiggy tourists