Thailand could allow alcohol sales for two days before new ban is enforced

webfact

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

Not everywhere, many mom & pop shops sold out.

I wonder if there is another reason why alcohol has been banned; domestic violence, which is rampant in Thailand and of course many other countries and in many cases the arguments and violence brought on by or flamed by excessive alcohol use.

It's worse now there is a ban!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 2long said:

There IS some sense in it. Read on...

Common sense would suggest that the reason for banning the booze is to prevent Somchais from sitting in groups and drinking, then after killing some brain cells going off to do other inappropriate things which would spread the virus, such as returning to hug and kiss family members.

Without 'generalising' I think it's fair to say that the government mainly target low-income Thai males as the target group to control in this case. From experience, these guys are completely incapable of buying in advance and rationing the booze for even a few days, never mind a month. This is partly because they don't have the money, and mainly because they can't control themselves or trust their buddies not to cheat. They drink all they have until it's gone.

In this sense, the 2-day window and a new ban makes sense, allowing expats and more wealthy to stock up and ration.

Hopefully some of the TVF clowns will stock up enough booze...

9 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Chaos on Fri and Sat if that comes into effect.

Social distancing shoulder to shoulder.

Will be walking through the door at Makro at 11 am Friday. Ohh better make that 9 am as there might be a heck of a queue.

9 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Apart from the fact some people are sober for the first time in years what is the point of having a ban when the fore mentioned "Mum and Pop" shops are still selling.

I wish I could find one of these mythical 'mom and pop' stores still selling grog. Here in Chiang mai I haven't found any willing to sell me any beer ????

• Like 1

My girlfriend managed to buy  4 bottles of Chang on sunday during the lock down but instead of usual 53 baht each for 660ml she had to pay 100 Baht each as they were sold to her out the back door of a mom and pop shop in Ban Yaira

Im having a larf as she had to go without for 7 days before that ha ha ,,  she is lovely when sober   but a pain in the butt when tink tonk dunk  even on messenger !!!!!!Im hoping the ban is kept on her for months ha ha

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

Not everywhere, many mom & pop shops sold out.

I wonder if there is another reason why alcohol has been banned; domestic violence, which is rampant in Thailand and of course many other countries and in many cases the arguments and violence brought on by or flamed by excessive alcohol use.

In the UK the Government set some money aside to cover the cost of the rise in domestic abuse cases caused by "withdrawal symptoms" and "enforced togetherness" ("self isolation/quarantine") 

will be interesting to see what happens on the roads, road deaths have dropped dramatically since the ban so lets see if it starts to go back up once they can get booze again

Edited by seajae

5 minutes ago, Monkeyrobot said:

Bit hardcore for some to by the booze for the month when they have little or on income. 

I suppose rent and electricity should be paid on a daily basis?

Those are exactly the irresponsible type people that shouldn't be spending on alcohol.

Edited by moontang
  • Confused 1

Perfect !

Anyone left with a job and paycheck - which comes just in time at the end of the month, for this lifting of the ban - will be tempted to spend more on stockpiling  booze than on food for the family.

And any hoarders will no doubt be marking up 'under-the-counter' sales to make a profit.

Once again the old saying, a country of 12 year olds, .... run by a bunch of 14 year olds !

• Like 1

Nothing else was to be expected. This ban is absolutely incomprehensible. Under the guise that the canceled Songkran Festival could degenerate, the ban was pronounced until April 30th. However, anyone who has become familiar with the Thai government should actually know that this was only an excuse and a further encroachment on the personal freedoms of the citizens. Even in the USA, with its highest infection rates and fatalities, many provinces that previously had a daily, time limited restriction on alcohol sales, eased them during the pandemie, for example by allowing restaurants to sell cocktails to go. During the pandemic, alcohol sales - most of them for personal consumption - also increased nationwide.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, actonion said:

But  "many more" people are still  congregating at every street market in East Pattaya  and have done since the start of this virus...So why the ban?

To show who's boss.

47 minutes ago, liddelljohn said:

My girlfriend managed to buy  4 bottles of Chang on sunday during the lock down but instead of usual 53 baht each for 660ml she had to pay 100 Baht each as they were sold to her out the back door of a mom and pop shop in Ban Yaira

Im having a larf as she had to go without for 7 days before that ha ha ,,  she is lovely when sober   but a pain in the butt when tink tonk dunk  even on messenger !!!!!!Im hoping the ban is kept on her for months ha ha

Same here my local store charge now 70THB instead 56THB for a Big Chang. He says the 2 large beer distributers where he is buying, charge him higher prices. I think its Covid surcharge. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Chaos on Fri and Sat if that comes into effect.

Social distancing shoulder to shoulder.

Yes indeed, just 2 days to buy up one month's booze for home consumption. Personally, I can see a quota system having to be introduced to prevent "panic" buying and stock piling by the "alcofrolics"!

Thornton, CO/ USA- March 23, 2020- Long lines at a liquor store after Mayor Michael B. Hancock ordered liquor stores be closed town the next day.