Thailand could allow alcohol sales for two days before new ban is enforced

webfact

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

What we have to do is to turn a negative situation into positive one and if Mohamid cannot go to the mountain the mountain must come to Mohamid. I have just ordered 16lbs of malt extract, what I do with it when I get it is anyones guess, but I'm sure I'll think of something.

Making Marmite ?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Eibot said:

Flea markets and wet markets aloud, but you ban alcohol to prevent social gatherings? Why do they always have to overcomplicate things. Just let people buy alcohol like every other country in the world.

Every other country ?   I think not. 

I do agree that they should tackle people congregating in numbers rather than focus on alcohol sales. Even if they restricted selling hours.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Correlation does not necessitate causation especially when Thailand does not test outside hospitals. The numbers aren't even close to being correct.

But if this were the case drinking alcohol does not raise opportunities to contract covid. Nothing. Rather the police due to incompetence and corruption cannot keep clubs closed and people off the streets so we have draconian measures not taken in any other country.

Because all Thai believe laws are for thee but not for me.

Many farangs have the same beliefs as the Thai's. "These laws are for thee but not for me" as has been proven many times both here in Thailand and every other country in the world with this virus.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has proposed allowing people a two day window to buy alcohol before a new ban is enforced. 

This makes no sense.  You would have crowds of people lining up shoulder to shoulder.  Also after the first hour or two the store would be depleted and though it would be legal to sell, they would not have any beer, wine, or liquor. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, 2long said:

There IS some sense in it. Read on...

Common sense would suggest that the reason for banning the booze is to prevent Somchais from sitting in groups and drinking, then after killing some brain cells going off to do other inappropriate things which would spread the virus, such as returning to hug and kiss family members.

Without 'generalising' I think it's fair to say that the government mainly target low-income Thai males as the target group to control in this case. From experience, these guys are completely incapable of buying in advance and rationing the booze for even a few days, never mind a month. This is partly because they don't have the money, and mainly because they can't control themselves or trust their buddies not to cheat. They drink all they have until it's gone.

In this sense, the 2-day window and a new ban makes sense, allowing expats and more wealthy to stock up and ration.

Yes, I understand the reasoning, here, but don't quite "get" the TIMING...

(a) we still don't know whether May public holidays, including that on Friday (Labor Day), are going to be cancelled (to encourage continued social distancing), and

(b) why just TWO days duration (maximum panic buying, minimum social distancing)? Authoritarian muscle flexing?? 

Liver applauding, but brain leans towards conjecture when in need of a beer!!

Homer Simpson Beer Compressed.jpg

2 hours ago, robblok said:

There is no sense in this you either extend the ban and not allow people to stock up so you get your goal of people having no alcohol to party or you don't ban it al. Because everyone with half a brain will stock up and make the ban useless. 

So do one of the two.. ban alcohol and not give people time to stock up or not ban it at all. 

Don't hate robbie

20 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I don't drink but maybe I will buy 10 cases of Leo and put it in my living room and take a photo and put it on Thai Friendly.

In these difficult times it might work better than the photo of me standing in front of somebody else's Mercedes.   

I will look for you there and try to meet you ????

22 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I don't drink but maybe I will buy 10 cases of Leo and put it in my living room and take a photo and put it on Thai Friendly.

In these difficult times it might work better than the photo of me standing in front of somebody else's Mercedes.   

10 crates of Leo in your living room is a sure way to deter the burglars, even they have better taste than that.????????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, vogie said:

10 crates of Leo in your living room is a sure way to deter the burglars, even they have better taste than that.????????????

i don't know <deleted> about beer. what do you suggest to show my good taste and sophistication?  

• Haha 1