Thailand could allow alcohol sales for two days before new ban is enforced

webfact

Lets see if I have got this right. 

Two days of packed supermarkets (or until they run out) - four days of binge drinking - 25 days of hangover and cold turkey.

That is, of course, that the story is true. I still find it hard to believe. A bit of kite flying? 

• Like 1

Posts using trolling memes have been removed.

Off topic posts and replies in violation of the following notice have been removed:

UPDATED NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING ON THAIVISA AMID COVID-19 - 25 MARCH 2020 

Do not post news or any form of content, including video, audio, images, social media posts that contains messages that may cause people to be afraid or intentionally distort information, causing misunderstanding during the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Any posts or topics which our moderation team deems to be scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed without warning. You may also be subject to a posting suspension or have your profile permanently suspended from the site. 

Thank you for your co-operation.

The major market for beer and cheaper spirits in Thailand is overwhelmingly lower and working class Thais, most of which live hand to mouth and are unable to stockpile alcohol. The tourists have left town, so there should be no problem for the bar stool jockeys who seem to frequent this forum  replenishing their supplies in two days if it happens.

If people know it's going to be a full month's ban, what's left of booze in stores will sell out real quick. As I understand it, distributors have not been able to deliver booze to grocery stores and I doubt they will be able to before (or during) Fri and Sat. The shelves on my local Max Valu are already nearly empty from the last panic buy. 

What a joke, 2 day for the alcohol sales, this could also be sour grapes because none of the 20 richest people helped Mr P after he sent out the begging letters, he is pouting and throwing all his toys out of the cot, I'm sure many of these richest must have fingers in the brewing, or import of various alcoholic beverages or even the high end entertainment industries......!!!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Howiehotspur said:

Beer will be past it’s sell buy date at this rate ....  it’s normally a year old by the time reaches the bars 

I’ll admit , I’ll be queuing up at the 7-11 .. ????????

Only because they are too stupid to notice, as are their customers, or they get a nice discount or kickback from the supplier for taking the old stuff.  Pretty easy to get it less than two weeks old if you look.  That is another sore point with Mom and pops..unreliable on freshness.

It will last several months, but not in heat and/or sun.

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

Yes, you're allowed to purchase alcohol, but there's going to be little or none available for you to buy, you'll have to wait in long queues potentially exposed to the virus, and what there is is probably going to be heavily rationed.

check out places such as 'WishBeer' because there are alcohol deliveries in Thailand 

Hmmmm...I wonder how many folks will be cramming into liquor stores, supermarkets, and Wine Connections to buy in only 2 days and still have 6 feet distance?   

Will we see long lines in front as they open for a few days? 

Will the stores be adequately stocked with our favorites?
Hmmmmm!   

Let's not forget that NOTHING has been confirmed yet, good (no more ban), ok (the two-day window) or bad (the ban continues with no window).

We all need to keep refreshing news websites and being nice to our wifeys because it will be on Thai news first!

8 hours ago, 2long said:

There IS some sense in it. Read on...

Common sense would suggest that the reason for banning the booze is to prevent Somchais from sitting in groups and drinking, then after killing some brain cells going off to do other inappropriate things which would spread the virus, such as returning to hug and kiss family members.

Without 'generalising' I think it's fair to say that the government mainly target low-income Thai males as the target group to control in this case. From experience, these guys are completely incapable of buying in advance and rationing the booze for even a few days, never mind a month. This is partly because they don't have the money, and mainly because they can't control themselves or trust their buddies not to cheat. They drink all they have until it's gone.

In this sense, the 2-day window and a new ban makes sense, allowing expats and more wealthy to stock up and ration.

By far the best post of the month, add me to the list of people who totally agree with this theory ! haha 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Misty said:

Far left too. Horseshoe at work. Makes you wonder who or what is driving the smear campaign.

Far left hates them because they are rich. Far right hates them because the far right hates everything, including themselves. No win situation.

56 minutes ago, marvin1950 said:

Are we allowed to have sex (social distancing)?

I'm not game to ask my GF, in case she puts me on short rations. I'm sure the Kama Sutra has a few guidelines.

11 minutes ago, digger70 said:

What Ban ,Is that the one that you Can't buy alcohol? I ran out off alcohol last night  just this morning went down the Track and got a carton of Beer .  ????  :burp:

..and what track might that be kind sir?

8 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

when the fore mentioned "Mum and Pop" shops are still selling.

My M&P shop ran out a week ago, with no-where that they could buy from!

This time around I think they will fill the shop with booze & hang everything else!

• Haha 1

The alcohol ban is to reduce the impairment to the immune system, maybe the 2 day lifting of the ban is to alleviate / reduce the affects on alcohol dependance.

With such low stats being reported for Thailand , the lockdown is not logical and the wearing of face masks and the restricted 'almost rebreathing ' requitement stresses the imuune system. When outside stay in the SUN, its when the virus is least affective,maybe the beach is the best place to be .

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, baansgr said:

So buying 8 crates all in one go and drinking 6 bottles a day at home for a month, or buying 6 bottles a day and drinking at home for a month....what's the difference.....either ban it for a valid reason or don't.

But most Thais can’t afford to buy 8 crates ect at once but have money to buy bottle a day

Its bull <deleted> a ban the thai goverment just showing they can stop beer nothing to with songkran or the virusthey just like to see people suffer  a 2 day window is nothing the supplyof shops cannot be filled in 2 days we will just have to carry on paying over the top prices to get our beer up your to the ban