CONFIRMED: Alcohol sales banned until further notice, some businesses allowed to reopen

webfact

3 hours ago, phkauf said:

Since when did this become an <deleted> Muslim country. I feel sorry for the local Thais, but I really hope this kills their tourism business for good. Maybe Prayut and company are upset the Beer Barons didn't pony up for his begging last week. They can't be very happy with him these days. Along with the big mall owners, who got shut out of the re-opening. 

Hard times ahead and I'm afraid to see what happens when people without jobs and no way to pay for food and rent react.

well 423 posts later and I believe this is one of the shortest time to get to this point with it only taking 5 hours to show how <deleted> people are.  Even though this is not a Muslim country there are a majority of Buddhists in this country and alcohol is against the tenants of that religion as well, but its the same as Mormons in Utah and the US still drink....

Edited by ThailandRyan

5 hours ago, TheDark said:

We'll be healthier than before, once alcohol ban is lifted. 

Not a bad time to stop drinking altogether and spend the time and money to something else?

Some say that it takes 3 weeks to change habits, good or bad. Now we have ample of time to do just that.

Then I suggest you get to work on your people skills. Three weeks ought to do it, eh?

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, khunbillmex said:

I'm looking on the bright side of this - with all the baht I'm saving in not buying 100 Pipers I'll be able to afford Black Label for a while and maybe I'll even drop a little over a 1000 baht for that lone bottle of Wild Turkey 101 sitting on the self at my local Big C.

Just go for the Bottle of Blue Label, or drop down to the gold label, you will be happy, its so smooth.....

57 minutes ago, papersource said:

Almost to a person that have I spoke to, Thais were dreading the renewed selling of alcohol and were cheering when they heard the ban may become permanent. 

I don't believe this for a minute. Unless you're living in a Muslim province / village. 

Quite apart from killing the tourist industry, banning alcohol permanently would be a surefire way to spark an uprising. 

2 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I don't believe this for a minute. Unless you're living in a Muslim province / village. 

Quite apart from killing the tourist industry, banning alcohol permanently would be a surefire way to spark an uprising. 

They would not be good Buddhists then, now would they.  Alcohol is against there religion as well, but has been overlooked except when the Monks get drunk and misbehave, then they get defrocked and more than likely go to another province, change their name and re-invent themselves...

24 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

As I have said on related threads, I am TT and I don't smoke. Certainly the smoking is an addiction so let's leave that out at this point.

Drinking alcohol can be an addiction but generally it usually is that case that such drinkers have prior problems anyway. It has been socially accepted for a very long time and providing the individual maintains control then I would classify it among other social inducements. It isn't essential to life but then neither is my regular mug of (black/Indian) tea...which I know contains Caffeine. Like alcohol Caffeine can be addictive and is present in a wide variety of beverages these days. Volume for volume I drink much more water than tea and some days drink no tea at all.

What's my point?

Okay, banning alcohol for festivities is one thing but complete bans, with the odd day of ban lifted, sounds more like a control tactic to me. 

Funny thing. New study shows nicotine helps fight coronavirus 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

The goverment issues an open invitation to bootleggers and moonshiners.

They have already been in operation for many, many years distilling illicit Lao Khao, especially out in the sticks. 20 baht a litre where I lived in Northern Thailand! 

27 minutes ago, laosnative said:

Same in Laos ....virus free for 15 days and most of infected treated, and back home.

But hey Slyland knows best.

Yes indeed. Alcohol also available at bars and shops etc. in Burma and Vietnam. Cambodia now virus free (no new cases) for 17 days!! (Wikipedia)

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, provincial governors have been ordered to closely follow the government guidelines but they can adjust the measures if necessary.

Even in context, this is confusing !

I wish the f... there would be a report telling us definitely what we can expect. Every one today offers a different version, iee Drink available for 2 days, alcohol ban stays, no lockdown, in some provinces, etc, etc, Why can't they make up their little minds

• Like 1

Oooh they're enjoying this one, just another chance to kick the farang in the pills knowing full well that Thais can get drink anywhere just about, and farangs only if they know the score...... Went to my local last night it was full of Thais on the lash and thankfully the owner who's not a bad sort flogged me some beer...... This is complete lunacy....... 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Have a word to yourself. Stop lecture rubbish. Did it make you feel good? Showing delight is other folk situation is very sad. When I say sad....I'm meaning your a sad negative person. 

The thread really is not about alcohol.

It's about a crazy government making rules for rules sake.

I’m not lecturing,simply mocking. ????. The irony is you’ve just proved my point...but probably so suffering from withdrawal symptoms it’s gone right over your head! 'Sad' indeed lack of alcohol (which is exactly what this thread is about if you’d like to re read the headline) is implied as a dire ‘situation'. 

5 hours ago, TheDark said:

It would be nice to hear what kind of hobbies people have started or continued because of the current and continuing situation. Solutions.

I've taken up wine cork sniffing, and started knitting my own beer mats. 

• Haha 2

No alcohol sales until further notice? Surely limited sales for home consumption would be ok? I've totally run out. I'm not a heavy drinker but enjoy a beer and with a meal an occasional glass of wine too. What's more my bolognaise sauce is just not right without red wine in it. And that's what really hurts!!!

• Like 1

I'm gonna play devil's advocate - Imagine you have to contain a nation of illogical, superstitious children who are broke, desperate, and angry. Removing booze from the equation is actually a logical choice. I really don't think they give a FIG what the farangs think.

• Like 2

Does he not know that all he is doing is driving the sale of Alcohol more underground and what about those that work in the industry and the wholesalers and the mama and Papa shops om the corner. It is a chain . reaction. Thai and foreign people are still having meeting and drinking Coke or other soft drinks, that is because it is the way of live in Thailand. Ok close Bars, Pubs and Clubs and put more people out of work, but at least let us have some. Even if it is a limited amount per person. Somebody said it is going to take about two years to get the Tourists coming back. It is going to take Thailand a lot longer to recover from this. Schools, Colleges, and Universities. The overnight buses etc. 300 Bhat a day = 9,000 Baht a month and the Government are giving them 5000 Baht. Ok they have also asked Banks and Gold shops and financial

organisations to hold back on the payments. What if you have lost your job because of this. How are they going to pay off the debts. In the UK they are not made to wear masks and they are free to buy beer at the supermarkets. Yes, there number of Deaths is a lot higher with about the same Population as Thailand. I am writing this whilst Drinking a nice cold Chang. Cheers.     

• Like 1

3 hours ago, connda said:

Welcome to the new era of Prohibition. There might be a fledgling industry brewing in the rural outback of Thailand.  <White-rice Lightening>

Come the next election cycle, I wonder if the people will remember who cut them off from enjoying a drink after a long day at work?  Humm. I wonder if they'll remember who took their jobs away so they could enjoy a drink after a long day of work and have the money to afford one?
Of course, I wonder if they'll ever be elections again?  ????

3 hours ago, connda said:

It has nothing to do with coronavirus and everything to do with control.
And the ultimate control is controlling the plebs ability to find a little pleasure in stressful times.  
The is just an extension of the prohibition of any substance that relieves suffering.
But come the next election I hope the plebs remember...

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Assuming their votes are counted, and the opposition they voted for doesn't end up in jail.

I wonder, is there already a germ of an idea, to make sure that any such backlash can be disregarded? Perhaps a property or tax qualification be able to vote? Those that have and do should be the ones with the right to decide - something along those lines. Since the most disgruntled will neither have property nor a job/business as they sit amongst the wreckage of their lives, that should suffice to disenfranchise them.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:
5 hours ago, webfact said:

Markets, including fresh markets, flea markets and walking streets,

Social distancing will be impossible.

I honestly don't know what markets have ever been closed...the very large markets in my area have both remained fully operational as normal ! Most people are wearing masks but that's been about the only change.

This may be the feather that broke the camel's back. It was hard enough to maintain a visa when they started coming down on the overuse of the tourist visas, then I really had to scramble to come up with 800k baht cash (real estate rich, cash poor). Now THIS? Thinking about brushing up on Spanish and moving to South America.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, realfunster said:

I honestly don't know what markets have ever been closed...the very large markets in my area have both remained fully operational as normal ! Most people are wearing masks but that's been about the only change.

The market I always use, a little off the beaten path in Jomtien, is still thriving. Access is ONLY through on entry and they check your temperature like everywhere else, but the produce is still fresh and plentiful.

• Like 2