CONFIRMED: Alcohol sales banned until further notice, some businesses allowed to reopen

webfact

20 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

What we have to remember is that the wholesalers are banned from selling too... The brewers are in the same boat and have run out of space for stock so have stopped brewing/distilling...

But another guy just posted on the previous page that the brewers have put the government in place and that they control it.

Looks like they are shooting in their own foot

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

He was dreaming or having wet dream.

No alcohol sales may 1&2 from any 7/11.

Just a nonsense post from chap you quote.

But I saw a sign in CJ today ... saying something about sales tomorrow. And the cooler was stocked up, before there was nothing in it.

Asking the cashier about it, however, she wasn't sure ????

Edited by RedPill

5 minutes ago, RedPill said:

But I saw a sign in CJ today ... saying something about sales tomorrow. And the shelf was stocked up, before there was nothing in it.

Asking the cashier about it, however, she wasn't sure ????

Watch this space tomorrow at 11.01 am

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Susco said:

But another guy just posted on the previous page that the brewers have put the government in place and that they control it.

Looks like they are shooting in their own foot

Face is the thing, if you have to shoot both feet you have to save face.

The government have been warned by the brewers they will lose billions of baht a month in revenue, but they can't back down now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Face is the thing, if you have to shoot both feet you have to save face.

The government have been warned by the brewers they will lose billions of baht a month in revenue, but they can't back down now.

My point was actually, if the brewers really controlled the government, there would never have been a ban to start with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Susco said:

My point was actually, if the brewers really controlled the government, there would never have been a ban to start with.

Even the income stream of rents and business profits going to people in Germany must be suffering.

11 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

Because when Thais are drunk they do stupid things and the COVID-19 cases go through the roof.

Irrespective of whether it prevents infections, having less drunk people around makes the job of enforcing the rules and curfew a lot easier.

Banning it in stages was a good idea to prevent people from hoarding it.

12 hours ago, TheDark said:

I believe it's a fact, that there is no alcohol sales until further notice. We can't change that by talking here.

But what each of us can do, is to direct our eagerness to drink beer to something else. We have to do that, no matter what. 

It would be nice to hear what kind of hobbies people have started or continued because of the current and continuing situation. Solutions.

This thread, as I write this is 40 pages long, after 12 hours, so you have your answer already. All the drinkers have the hobby of posting and complaining about the alcohol ban. No other subject comes close.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr Natapanu also said that a number of business will be able to open from May 3:

Markets, including fresh markets, ... can

My MIL's local fresh market never closed.  :coffee1:

Still, the fresh market owner will be more than pleased to know that they're allowed to reopen.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

My MIL's local fresh market never closed.  :coffee1:

Still, the fresh market owner will be more than pleased to know that they're allowed to reopen.  

Same where I am, result - no recorded cases of CV19?

• Like 1

Whilst some of us may find this disconcerting, this measure is directed at the majority Thai population, which, interestingly is slightly higher than the UK population and not the expat community nor the handful of tourists stranded here. It means to stop Thai’s throwing caution to the wind when under the influence when it comes to the advice on this pandemic, specifically social distancing. And realistically with the relationship the average Thai has with alcohol it’s not a bad thing. Also, looking at the statics, whether one believes them or not, I for one feel safer here than in Europe: I really don’t think this Government could cover up what is happening in the UK for example: 26K + deaths, many more infections and roughly the same population. There are independent news correspondents here and freelance journalists so I don’t see a massive cover up - so go figure and be grateful and please stop winging, otherwise just go home, okay 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Jeaunneau said:

Whilst some of us may find this disconcerting, this measure is directed at the majority Thai population, which, interestingly is slightly higher than the UK population and not the expat community nor the handful of tourists stranded here. It means to stop Thai’s throwing caution to the wind when under the influence when it comes to the advice on this pandemic, specifically social distancing. And realistically with the relationship the average Thai has with alcohol it’s not a bad thing. Also, looking at the statics, whether one believes them or not, I for one feel safer here than in Europe: I really don’t think this Government could cover up what is happening in the UK for example: 26K + deaths, many more infections and roughly the same population. There are independent news correspondents here and freelance journalists so I don’t see a massive cover up - so go figure and be grateful and please stop winging, otherwise just go home, okay 

I agree, however, banning alcohol was not part of other country's strategy. I would bet that home made products are on a bull run. I would also bet illegal sales are thriving. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Yeah I don't understand that at all. What does it have to do with coronavirus ?

I hardly drink one beer/month but this rather stupid ban makes me crave for some Belgian beers such as a strong Duvel or dark Trappist, even a bitter home town Stella Artois.

I do have some strong alcohol in a drawer though: vodka, gin, Isaan rum, Bacardi, but I am no alcoholic for miles away in the universe, just like some good things sporadically, which Thailand does not have, such as good food....

This is also far from an epidemy as far as this country is concerned with less than 3.000 infected and 54 deaths. I understand the concern for people flying in (do something about it) but locking the country?

Way over, the damage will be factor over a million x worse.

Oh and I see the usual suspects stupid comment higher up:

If you don't like it here go home and months saved of you life.

I hardly visit Thai Visa ever, too many people lacking basic manners here,

80% of posters not belonging to the human species.  

Edited by tartempion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, justaphase said:

I's all part of the new normal..better get used to it. My close Thai friends said 3 years ago that Thailand will be no place for foreigners.

Your Thai friends knew 3 years ago that alcohol would be banned (for everyone) due to a pandemic ?

Not following what it has to do with being ' no place for foreigners'

10 minutes ago, stubby52 said:

Thats up to the governor you will find,as for the alcohol ban it's sheer lunacy.

Is it though? Many countries are fearing, due to the lockdown there will be a baby boom the like of which we've never seen before. Banning alcohol would surely mitigate the effect. 

Not as daft as they look, these Thais.

• Confused 1