CONFIRMED: Alcohol sales banned until further notice, some businesses allowed to reopen

webfact

1 minute ago, dukeandduke said:

At that same 7-11, there's a sign on the door saying no sales for May. 

Welcome to the regime's experiment of how much they can keep people under its thumb.

Like putting a piece of cheese on a dog's nose and saying "No."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dukeandduke said:
48 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

About those restocks in some 7-Eleven done last night, nobody has fresh news ?

Now it's 11AM, if we have a "grace" for 2 days, ban should be lifted.

Welcome to the regime's experiment of how much they can keep people under its thumb.

D'OH!

4 minutes ago, dukeandduke said:

Thank you for the feed back.

Confirmed now that there wont be any "grace" for 2 days.

PS: yesterday I tried a few small groceries in Pattaya dark side, no one is selling booze.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, stoutfella said:

Having to visit many more places and meet many more people than I normally would to buy booze. I wonder if that's more risky.

It is not rocket science, just approach the nearest motorcycle rank and tell em what you want.

If no motorcycle rank there is always a local dogsbody kicking around who knows what is up.

2 hours ago, J Town said:

My greatest fear is someone high up on the food chain wants to grab this opportunity to remove all the "sins" in Thailand. Close up Walking Street, remove Soi 6-like venues, turn it into an "family friendly only" nation.

Notice for the other measures they explicitly talk about alleviating them if X happens before Y - with the booze ban, it's just "extended until end of April", "extended until end of May".  You can bet they are weighing up whether to ban it altogether, or have already decided to.  This could be down to something as ridiculous as some companies saying bad things about the government or plain old control-freakery...or both these things.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

Thank you for the feed back.

Confirmed now that there wont be any "grace" for 2 days.

PS: yesterday I tried a few small groceries in Pattaya dark side, no one is selling booze.

CM the same. Well at least in my area. These military clowns need to go.

Pardon my being late to this topic...but, I have a question the answer to which maybe you know and can tell me...

Is my understanding correct?:

The current alcohol sales ban due to end on the last day of this month has been extended to the last day of next month. But, the official announcement causing it to actually stay in effect won't be issued until a couple of days after the beginning of next month (wink, wink).

I just came back from multiple 7/11 and supermarkets in the Asoke area of Bangkok. They all have signs up saying alcohol is banned until end of May.  Zero grace period. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, J Town said:

Will this affect the booze ban?

Sure it will.

From the 5th of May people from outside the city will be able to visit the locked booze departments in Pattaya supermarkets

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I was in Vientiane,Laos lost for where to go with a throbbing desire, so I explained to a tuk tuk guy, or whatever they are called, and told him exactly what I desired and was delivered to a bar where the cutest young girl satisfied my needs. Nothing more than a round of drinks for her and her friends. A few Kip.

A very fond memory.

Only 6 new cases today but confirmation that alcohol sales will be banned across the country until May 31st at the earliest.

Restaurants outside shopping malls are allowed to re-open from 3rd May providing that patrons are seated at least 1 metre apart.  No alcohol.

Edited by HHTel
correction

1 minute ago, HHTel said:

banned across the country until May 31st at the earliest.

If they really plan to reopen the bars for 15th june, 1st tourists coming back for jully etc... then I doubt the ban will last so long.

45 minutes ago, dayward1 said:

They don't want you to go and hang out with your friends, share one beer between 5 people at a table (because that's all you and your mates can afford all in), and then go home and beat your wife to death, cut her arm off and then have a wank with said dismembered arm; afterwards continue on a murderous spree beating people with the dismembered arm of your wife, giving a new meaning to the word 'fisting'. 

They think I'll be nicer on Ya-Ice?

No sign of this ban ending anytime soon, not far from me there is a Chang beer warehouse, large place must hold millions of bottles. I say Chang as I have not seen any other brand being delivered or picked up. 

Passing by most days the shutters are up and the stocks can be seen clearly, on todays pass by all shutters were closed and gates locked.

I was hopeful that I might see open shutters with delivery trucks collecting cases of beer but nope, maybe at the end of the month !!

IMG_6261.HEIC

Edited by Adiudon

18 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

If they really plan to reopen the bars for 15th june, 1st tourists coming back for jully etc... then I doubt the ban will last so long.

As per the announcement, the governors can over-ride the restrictions downward, but not upward.  The governor of Prachuab, in his wisdom, has ruled that restaurants will not open.  

<deleted>, Prachuab, Petchaburi, Ratchaburi are pretty much virus-free.  No new cases for weeks!

Sounds like a case of 'power wielding' to me.

In all seriousness, A nice shot of vodka at the end of a 20 minute baht bus ride full of people, is a good way to kill any virus that may have entered your mouth and I find it much cheaper to put 80 proof in a spray bottle to disinfect my hands than the ripoff prices they sell in the stores.. 

I'm fine with higher fines, stricter punishment for anyone violating new corona laws, but don't punish the majority of responsible drinking adults bc a small minority of adults act like drunk children.. 

I pray for the people who are physically dependent on alcohol, they can manage to see a doctor and get the proper medication to ease the shock of alcohol withdraw which can be fatal..

Edited by oneorenone
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Is it though? Many countries are fearing, due to the lockdown there will be a baby boom the like of which we've never seen before. Banning alcohol would surely mitigate the effect. 

Not as daft as they look, these Thais.

How can you say that?????? Millions of thai jobs are dependent to the sale of beer its mad the goverment is losing billions and they cant see it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Philipg114763 said:

How can you say that?????? Millions of thai jobs are dependent to the sale of beer its mad the goverment is losing billions and they cant see it

Every government is losing billions. it's the price you pay for Covid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/30/2020 at 1:45 PM, DrJack54 said:

Does giving pep talk to adults on how to run their lives give a bit of a feel good.

Some say live your own life. 

Simple observe the rules of the society in which you have chosen to live.   Stop whingeing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1