Lifting booze ban could fuel contagion: Taweesin

snoop1130

Rolled up to my local shop about an our ago to pick up my "order." They were doing brisk business. After loading my tray the vendor came to my window for payment and mentioned starting tomorrow they are only doing deliveries as they are attracting too much attention (there were about a 1/2 dozen locals congregating in front waiting to be served and many others who were quickly picking up their "orders" and buzzing off). 

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

I've got a good idea what will happen here.

Alcohol will remain banned until the pubs open up because many people will just use the restaurants to go drinking in crowds, big crowds.

Don't think you realise that alcohol is banned EVERYWHERE - even restaurants that will be allowed to open but sell food only - NO BOOZE!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Yankeesvsredsox said:

Have you ever sat at a Thai table(mat on the floor) with a bunch of people eating sticky rice out of a palm communal basket!

Yeah and also fell to the ground from the DIY laukhao that was served with that five michelin star meal, had to pick out pieces of wood from under the skin next day. 

I suspect this traditional evening activity up in Isaan is still alive and well.

Edited by DrTuner

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I just checked. Exactly one year on the San Mig Light bottle. They must add formaldehyde or some other heavy duty toxins in it to keep it so long. Tastes fine with lemon so cheers anyway, we're all gonna die.

image.png.7df9406c219e95c29e8abf649e3827eb.png

Beers good for months. Couple of years in the fridge. Problems happen if left in the sun too long before refrigeration or having been refrigerated taken out returning to room temp and refrigerated again.

9 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Beers good for months. Couple of years in the fridge. Problems happen if left in the sun too long before refrigeration or having been refrigerated taken out returning to room temp and refrigerated again.

I have a place on a tourist island. Whenever you return after low season the beer tastes really bad cause it has been sitting for months. I don't know how long it would last sitting in a vat in the brewery. I saw the San Miguel can and it is a long time. Google search gives lots of different answers.

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I hope government is paying full wages to all those who work in the alcohol business and are now technically unemployed for at least another month because of this idiotic ban. 

Yeah, the raison d'etre for it is more than likely to stop newly unemployed families running out of money due to alcohol habits, but they keep half of them unemployed by banning the stuff.. a vicious circle.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fishtank said:

Should ban som tum then,

More sit around sharing that than beer.

Lets get serious , close  tesco , villa , tops , big c, etc..

Foreigners , go home ..

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

35 minutes ago, mikosan said:

And although I don't agree with the alcohol ban, that is a fair way to deal with the situation.  When the bar ban initially came in, all that happened was the restaurants took the pi** and turned into bars.  There was no enforcement of the rules by the useless corrupt police. Bar owners suffered, whist restaurant owners raked in the dough.  Let them suffer now, I have no sympathy, they can go to the wall with the bars, for all I care and then there will be nothing and this useless corrupt government will have got its wish, that being to persecute the poor who didn't vote for them.  COVID-19?  Don't make me laugh.  This is an exercise in suppression of the peasants.

Fairly deep there brother..agree with your basic line of thought but a little heavy on the tyrannical side. Cheers!

It’s OK to advertise the fact you have broken the law and are bragging about it here.

Typical BS hypocrisy.

What next?

‘I went out and bought some drugs, had a bet on the outcome of the premiership, went home and beat the wife black and blue.’  

What a joke

Alcohol drinking is a huge problem in the villages and it is the conduit that brings these people together to form small to large groups on a daily basis...

tellIng them not to do it vs the aroma of liquor in the air? Who wins out?

thais hate regulatory compliance...they have told Thais to don’t speed don’t drink don’t tail gate don’t pass on blind curves don’t flee the scene? How well has that worked?

And yes, I am in favor of banning all motor vehicle use in thailand...

it would save lives and better for the environment...

Edited by cardinalblue

Cannot help think that the ban is pay back , last week the PM asked billionaires to dip into their pockets to help the government but none of them did you only have to look at the billionaires who own the alcohol industry in Thailand that’s the only explanation I can come up with as there is no logic in the governments reasoning to ban purchasing alcohol it won’t stop social gatherings amongst Thais . Meanwhile the loss in Tax revenue due to this idiotic ban to the government will be huge so much so I can see the economy collapsing in the next financial quarter u less the books are being cooked.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, M71 said:

This is just a normal seasonal flu - everyone around the world is being taken for a ride.

Your right and at the point in time it is not a joyride either.  However, it is not just a flu.  its an uncontrolled virus that attacks and affects anyone young, middle age, or old.  What can you do, boycott? When you already live here long term, your at the mercy of the government here just like the poor citizens.  Suicide rates are skyrocketing amongst Thai's as they have lost all hope and many are suffering from Depression.  There are very few psychologists and counselors for the normal broke person to go and see.  I hope there is an endgame planned out already.  

13 hours ago, The Farang said:

They always ban alcohol,  this is nothing new.  If they regularly ban alcohol,  then there is obviously an alcoholism problem in the country. 

Yes, when i travel through the countryside i often see Somchai and his coworkers sat beside the paddy field swigging from a bottle of chardonnay, the government must stop this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1