In Search Of Mangosteen

Jamie

If this post doesn't belong here, moderators please feel free to move...

When I was in Thailand, I fell in love with mangosteen. I could not get enough of them. Does anyone know if this fruit is exported much? I'm living in the States but haven't been able to find any information on it as far as being grown here. Thought possibly Florida but perhaps it is still too cool there in the winters for it?

When I was in Thailand, I fell in love with mangosteen. I could not get enough of them. Does anyone know if this fruit is exported much? I'm living in the States but haven't been able to find any information on it as far as being grown here. Thought possibly Florida but perhaps it is still too cool there in the winters for it?

My Thai grocer says there is a ban on importation of fresh mangosteen but doesn't know why. Just what he said, I have no idea if this is accurate. This is mangosteen season so if it is imported it should be on the shelves.

I have never seen fresh mangosteen in the US, only canned. Judging by the amount of fruit on the trees in my family's yard this should be an abundant year for mangosteen so if it is ever available it should be available now.

As Tim said, they are in abundance here in thai just now, missus just told me they come from Chatanburi area,she buys on local market 25bht 1 kilo, when i go to our farm, i have 2 ice coolers, 1 for drink and the other for mangosteen and pears, these are the most refreshing fruits i have ever tasted, to grow mangosteen from start to fruition, 7 years, and i would think that USC have banned the fresh friut on a bugs and drugs thingy,

Get yourself back here while they are in season!!

I just read where mangosteen are only available to be grown in Hawaii, but aren't imported to the mainland. Not sure if that is true, but perhaps since I have found absolutely no sign they are available here on the mainland.

I know you can get the juice. How's that? Does it pale in comparison?

One day while I was there I bought a little over a kilo and ate them all myself...that was one sitting. It wasn't enough.

As Tim said, they are in abundance here in thai just now, missus just told me they come from Chatanburi area,she buys on local market 25bht 1 kilo,

The MRS. is correct, they are very common in Chantaburri. If they are 25 baht in Isan then it must be a very plentiful year.

The current price the wholesalers are paying TODAY in Chantaburi is 11 Baht per kilo.

That is mixed quality pricing, there are basically 4 grades. In the early season the grade#1 were getting 64 Baht per kilo. When volume gets up they stop the pricing by grades.

I've pretty much outlined the harvest on another channel.

BiL sold 500 kg yesterday, took 5 people about 5 hours to pick.

Have eaten so much recently that I'm almost off em (NOT).

Bt

I'd say the the VERY short shelf life would make this product a poor export product. My wife came home today with a big bag full of them and if they are not eaten with in a few days they will spoil.

:o

Ive seen them here in Canada about this time of year actually but ..

they were expensive ( around 6$ lbs 200+baht)

and very poor quality more then half of what they had for sale would have been throw away in thailand , hard as rocks and that funny brownish color instead of purple even had a bit of an argument with the store fruit section manager her arguing they were 'fresh" ( they just were shipped!!!!) me telling her she didnt have a clue LOL

same with lychee . and lam yai always poor quality whenever Ive seen it and I know my lam yai we have 75 rais of orchards in Tak province :D

You'll only find canned and frozen. My wife said the frozen didn't look good.

I know that Tesco, Heanor, Derbyshire, have just got them in stock!! I don't know how much they are at the moment but they had dragon fruit in the other week and it was £1.89 for one and they were tiny. I don't think i will be buying any this year!!

Hey Jamie,

I know that juicing mangosteens is a huge business in the US now. This is the largest provider that I have seen

XANGO

They charge $37.50 per liter or 750ml bottle. The have the juice shipped over from LOS and other SE Asian countries so that it is stable and finish the processing here.

It is a MLM company as well so soon every one will have a case of this stuff in the garage after they are not able to sell it for such a price. Kind of like Amway in the 70s & 80s.

Not cheap and is being marketed as a medical cure all. Enjoy.

Mike in Seattle.

So much mangosteen layiing around the house and I can't possibly eat it all...

I swear I've seen over 30 tons of the stuff pass by the house in the last 5 days. I gotta find a way to preserve it and ship o'seas. A small fortune to be made me thinks.

Bt

When I went back to Australia last time (2 years ago) they were available at the very top end of the fresh fuit market at about $1 a fruit. In Sydney I found them in two places and they were export quality - beautiful but so expensive. The shop manager told me they get flown in on commercial flight and have to go through special inspection process for disease and pests. All this adds to the price.

There are a few places in Australia that are starting to grow them but it will take several years before they show any decent crops until then I just eat them here by the kilo with a few Beer Singha to wash them down.

Frozen and canned/preserved are aweful so don't even think about that as an alternative.

Sorry can't help to get them to Florida though

CB