Visa to enter NZ and australia on holiday for Thai girlfriend.

Does any body have any experience with obtaining holiday visa for thai lady to enter nz and aust ??

i am kiwi,retired in thailand,adult family in nz,several properties in nz,very ample assets and income.

ive been divorced 25 yrs,definitrly not interested in marrying any thai lady.

i just want to do an extensive holiday in both countries,late 2021.

No sarcastic comments,thanks.

Details are on the Aus gov immigration website.

She can apply in Thailand and I think it only takes a couple of weeks ( normally)

No coming and going at present.

For Aus, simple tourist visa and if she has insufficient funds to support herself, then you can act as a sponsor.

No need to show how much real estate you own.

Your being a Kiwi may introduce other factors but Aus and NZ have pretty good 2 way relationship there with regards to coming and going.

Anyhow all you need should be at the web site.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing

• Thanks 1

A visitor visa for New Zealand is fairly straightforward. So long as the lady can show that she has the funds to cover her stay and sufficient reasons to return to Thailand (a regular job is best but they do consider other things) then getting a visitor visa is not that difficult. Writing a cover letter to explain your relationship and what you plan to do when she is in New Zealand would help support the application.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, done it 3 times with 2 different Thai girls.. NZ immigration are a joke, and from what I read they are getting worse. First time was paper based and subsequent was Internet based. I am a Kiwi and resident (not that they asked for proof - crazy). So I could "sponsor" her. Can't remember about the last visa (2015), but I think they both had to travel to BKK to get their passports stamped with the Visa - but I think NZ immigration has reduced the number of offices so I don't know what has happened to the BKK office. It was a real and unnecessary game. The key things they look for is that you have proof that you know her, some photos or some internet chat. They will be looking for trafficking. They want an itinerary - like we were going to motorcycle all over NZ - that was a joke. They also look for any history of her having traveled outside of Thailand before. They also want to be convinced that she is going to go back to Thailand after her holiday - so some good solid family connections in Thailand - like elderly relatives to look after or a job/farm/business they have to go back to. Last time I complained to the local MP, and even that was a joke. NZ is a third world country demanding a first world standard of living, with a broken third world economy... maybe you will have better luck than me, but one of my friends wants to visit again, and we will tour by motorcycle for a few months... I am not looking forward to the visa process.... strangely I have been told if she was coming to visit a relative here already, it would be easy - as is the case with Filipino...

Edited by milesinnz
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Cannot help with NZ but go to the website #3 bluejets mentioned for OZ. You can open an IMMI account and do everything online for a Visitor (subclass 600). It is time consuming getting all of the paper work on the g/f and family but the more you can provide the better. As was said above the main criteria are funds while in OZ and the need for her to return to Thailand. Also ask for a multi entry as it does not cost any more.

They will require her to go to VFS in Bangkok for biometric screening.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

A visitor visa for New Zealand is fairly straightforward. So long as the lady can show that she has the funds to cover her stay and sufficient reasons to return to Thailand (a regular job is best but they do consider other things) then getting a visitor visa is not that difficult. Writing a cover letter to explain your relationship and what you plan to do when she is in New Zealand would help support the application.

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

OP mentioned "late 2021". If any country still keeps the gates closed by then - well, the world as we knew it is gone.....

I agree with your point..

Im flexible on the travel time,maybe even january 2022.

Like you say..if things arent ok to travel,by then...we may as well shrivel up and die...

1 hour ago, milesinnz said:

Yes, done it 3 times with 2 different Thai girls.. NZ immigration are a joke, and from what I read they are getting worse. First time was paper based and subsequent was Internet based. I am a Kiwi and resident (not that they asked for proof - crazy). So I could "sponsor" her. Can't remember about the last visa (2015), but I think they both had to travel to BKK to get their passports stamped with the Visa - but I think NZ immigration has reduced the number of offices so I don't know what has happened to the BKK office. It was a real and unnecessary game. The key things they look for is that you have proof that you know her, some photos or some internet chat. They will be looking for trafficking. They want an itinerary - like we were going to motorcycle all over NZ - that was a joke. They also look for any history of her having traveled outside of Thailand before. They also want to be convinced that she is going to go back to Thailand after her holiday - so some good solid family connections in Thailand - like elderly relatives to look after or a job/farm/business they have to go back to. Last time I complained to the local MP, and even that was a joke. NZ is a third world country demanding a first world standard of living, with a broken third world economy... maybe you will have better luck than me, but one of my friends wants to visit again, and we will tour by motorcycle for a few months... I am not looking forward to the visa process.... strangely I have been told if she was coming to visit a relative here already, it would be easy - as is the case with Filipino...

I understand your frustrations..with nz immigration,but we have to admit..many people are trying to find ways to stay in nz...legal or otherwise..

do they put a time limit on how long a thai tourist can stay in nz.

i want to travel both islands by car.

have my own car in auckland.

I have done three trips now with my legal Thai wife, first time was a nightmare, now my wife has been granted 3 year tourist visa, this is only after you show that your wife is not planning to do a runner in Oz and she has returned to Thailand under the tourist visa regulations. If you don't get the paper work right be prepared for a few trips to Bangkok before getting her Visa, VFS global handle all visa applications and you don't deal direct with the Embassies. You can apply online, however she must travel to Bangkok to do Bio metrics at VFS global every time you apply. The Embassy makes the final decision for your application. Keep in mind that the Australian Embassy employs Thais to check and approve your application, so make sure your application letter (in English) is clear and precise of your girlfriends background and intensions.

I personally would not bother now as Australia has shut its borders to all countries, wait till the travel restrictions have been lifted, as you may find that you have to be quarantined on entry, not to mention the high cost of airline tickets during the pandemic. 

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

You will be applying for a 12 month tourist visa (multi-entry) which will allow your girlfriend to stay in Australia a max of 3 months at a time (then she must leave and re-enter) within the 12 month envelope.

You can either dump some money in her account (500,000 Baht) and leave it for 3 months before you apply, or become her sponsor.

Besides the money to support while travelling, immigration are looking for reasons for her to come back to Thailand (children, elderly parents, owns property etc).

4 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

You will be applying for a 12 month tourist visa (multi-entry) which will allow your girlfriend to stay in Australia a max of 3 months at a time (then she must leave and re-enter) within the 12 month envelope.

You can either dump some money in her account (500,000 Baht) and leave it for 3 months before you apply, or become her sponsor.

Besides the money to support while travelling, immigration are looking for reasons for her to come back to Thailand (children, elderly parents, owns property etc).

I would advise against this TBH.

That would raise red flags at Immigration.

Better to say you will just finance the trip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, murraynz said:

She has no money..i would be her sponsor/gaurantor.

She doesnt have regular job.,but has son in thailand,to take care of,no parents.

You would probably need to get an immigration lawyer to help out. Would cost about 1200 AUD.

The problem is going to be her lack of visible assets in Thailand. The Australian Consulate in Bangkok will automatically assume she is seeking entry into Australia looking for work.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You would probably need to get an immigration lawyer to help out. Would cost about 1200 AUD.

The problem is going to be her lack of visible assets in Thailand. The Australian Consulate in Bangkok will automatically assume she is seeking entry into Australia looking for work.

I would balk at paying $1200 to an agent for a $150 visa.

The lack of assets aren't that big of problem TBH.

The main criteria is displaying reasons to return home.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Will27 said:

I would balk at paying $1200 to an agent for a $150 visa.

The lack of assets aren't that big of problem TBH.

The main criteria is displaying reasons to return home.

We'll have to disagree on this one, I'm speaking from experience. First visa application for my GF was refused on the grounds she had no assets, even though the title to her land was included in the application.

You are dealing with a bureaucracy that has no accountability for its decisions, and the first port of call is Bangkok Thais processing the applications.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

We'll have to disagree on this one, I'm speaking from experience. First visa application for my GF was refused on the grounds she had no assets, even though the title to her land was included in the application.

You are dealing with a bureaucracy that has no accountability for its decisions, and the first port of call is Bangkok Thais processing the applications.

Quite often, the first application isn't that great, especially if you're not used to doing them.

It's quite common for a 2nd application to be approved.

If an Australian is "sponsoring" application, it's passed onto an Aussie for a final decision.

I can see where you're coming from though.

Sometimes, you just get a bad decision as well.

1 hour ago, murraynz said:

I understand your frustrations..with nz immigration,but we have to admit..many people are trying to find ways to stay in nz...legal or otherwise..

do they put a time limit on how long a thai tourist can stay in nz.

i want to travel both islands by car.

have my own car in auckland.

I think you can stay for up to 9 months.. in any 18 months ?... the problem is you have to convince NZ immigration that she is a genuine tourist and that she is going to go back and she won't get stuck here without any money - like what happens if you have a "falling out" ?  They asked for bank statements from both my Thai girls - they both could show they had an income in Thailand. They are also looking for trafficking.. like you come to spend some time in NZ, air BNB, and then rent her out. It does happen ! I was told that showing they had traveled outside of Thailand before was a strong positive, but then why was the second time one of them came the same load of <deleted> as the first time ???? My experience 3 times now, is that NZ immigration is a sick joke. And how easy it would have been me to make up all kinds of stories. They never checked anything about me, I could have been anyone and that includes anyone not in NZ. I can't remember them even asking for proof of ID......

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, murraynz said:

She has no money..i would be her sponsor/gaurantor.

She doesnt have regular job.,but has son in thailand,to take care of,no parents.

I took my gf, now wife to Aus Christmas 18 months ago. She was unemployed at the time with zero savings, has no kid nor property in Thailand. 
We applied for the Tourist Visa - subclass 600 and it was granted with no problem. 
I was sure to include a letter from myself stating my assets and cash in hand and I was happy to be responsible for all costs. I also included her travel insurance policy along with a letter from my mother assuring we had accomodation. 
AFAIK you can never provide too much information and assurance. Good luck 

Edited by MadMuhammad
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

She does own land in issan,but no intentions to ever work there,with other family members.

I think i will employ an agent.

Does anybody know a suitable one,pattaya area.

Ive known her seven years,but most of our contact details are lost on my old phone..

5 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

I took my gf, now wife to Aus Christmas 18 months ago. She was unemployed at the time with zero savings, has no kid nor property in Thailand. 
We applied for the Tourist Visa - subclass 600 and it was granted with no problem. 
I was sure to include a letter from myself stating my assets and cash in hand and I was happy to be responsible for all costs. I also included her travel insurance policy along with a letter from my mother assuring we had accomodation. 
AFAIK you can never provide too much information and assurance. Good luck 

Thanks,that is encouraging..

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Quite often, the first application isn't that great, especially if you're not used to doing them.

It's quite common for a 2nd application to be approved.

If an Australian is "sponsoring" application, it's passed onto an Aussie for a final decision.

I can see where you're coming from though.

Sometimes, you just get a bad decision as well.

I was sponsoring the application, and the bank statements backing it from me were to the tune of $150 K cash at call. Copies of return airline tickets for both of us.

The application may or may not have been seen by an Aussie, the rejection was signed by someone with a Thai name.

I did write a letter of protest to the Senior Consul, got a polite brushoff from someone else.

When government departments are no longer accountable for their decisions or actions, it's a slippery slope to tyranny. These pricks are supposed to be serving us, it's what my taxes pay for.

So I shelled out $1200 to an Immigration lawyer in Brisbane, who got us through on the second try. The s##t he wrote in the support letter was sickening to read, a crawler of a letter.

It left a nasty taste in my mouth. My GF understands a repeat visit won't happen.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Never had that problem even before we were married, she had no money and no assets but Thai family. They ask what funds she will have so I just said $10000 for a 2 month visit.

• Like 1

I applied last year for NZ 10 day visit for my girlfriend of 3 years, no children no job and no assets, only parents and 1 brother. I was the sponsor and we were staying at my brothers house, I have investments  in NZ and property in Thailand as well as my NZ daily bank account with NZ$26000. I produced all this information and was still refused a visa on the following grounds, 1. She had not traveled out of Thailand before. 2. She is a risk of not returning to Thailand. My girlfriend is 40 and I am 60 and I will apply again next year. 

Mate,

No experience with NZ, but would really like to visit with my Wife. 

As for Aus, We have had 4 visas all through an agent here in Patts. The one time I tried to do it my self, the run around, go to BKK etc we did not get it.... 

The big minus is that regardless of the visa you get, she has to leave the country every 90 days.... This becomes expensive... 

I wish they had the same visa as we do for Aus visiting Thailand... Just 30 days on arrival would suit us fine.... Our next Visa is a Marriage Visa, but at about $8K Aus that can wait and there is a lot of mucking around to get it... FOr something we would only use maybe once a year for a couple of weeks...

Add to that the mess with COVID and we won't be applying for any visa for a long time to come I think... 

1 hour ago, AtlasAus said:

Mate,

No experience with NZ, but would really like to visit with my Wife. 

As for Aus, We have had 4 visas all through an agent here in Patts. The one time I tried to do it my self, the run around, go to BKK etc we did not get it.... 

The big minus is that regardless of the visa you get, she has to leave the country every 90 days.... This becomes expensive... 

I wish they had the same visa as we do for Aus visiting Thailand... Just 30 days on arrival would suit us fine.... Our next Visa is a Marriage Visa, but at about $8K Aus that can wait and there is a lot of mucking around to get it... FOr something we would only use maybe once a year for a couple of weeks...

Add to that the mess with COVID and we won't be applying for any visa for a long time to come I think... 

Why would you bother with a marriage visa if you're only going to visit once a year?

You won't get any of the benefits so you might as well stick to visitor visas.

9 hours ago, smiggley said:

I applied last year for NZ 10 day visit for my girlfriend of 3 years, no children no job and no assets, only parents and 1 brother. I was the sponsor and we were staying at my brothers house, I have investments  in NZ and property in Thailand as well as my NZ daily bank account with NZ$26000. I produced all this information and was still refused a visa on the following grounds, 1. She had not traveled out of Thailand before. 2. She is a risk of not returning to Thailand. My girlfriend is 40 and I am 60 and I will apply again next year. 

Wow,thats dissapointing for you.

I do lots of short trips to vietnam,sth korea,taiwan etc,usually with other thai lady friends,so,on the basis of your story,i should take number one  on a trip to another country first,before our nz trip.

To prove that she will return to thailand.

All the diffrrent experiences here,with nz and auz immigration,are weird,just like with thai immigration.

Somebody said that he dumped large sum of money in girlfriends bank account,to shoe that she had funds.

I certainly wont be doing anything like that,even though i think ?she is trustworthy.