SURVEY: When will tourism return to normal?

Scott

SURVEY: When will tourism return to normal?  

492 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A lot depends on what Thailand wants. If it is only the TAT favourite, the absolute number of arrivals, this could be accommodated by the Chinese/Indians alone in a relatively short period of time. However, we all know that neither of these countries love to spend any money beyond the cost of the tour, hence there will be zero employment opportunity for the informal sector.

But if Thailand wants to return to a mix of "feel good" tourists (also known as party animals, sex tourists, even backpackers) as well as a group or two (or a thousand) of Chinese, and garnished with the inevitable "family holidays in Thailand" brigade, the future looks a lot more uncertain. The poor Chinese will come back, for sure (rich ones go to the UK, France, Italy and the US), but "feel good" tourists will not easily forget the abuse they've suffered at the hands of most Thais over the past 5 or 10 years, and will look at the alternative destinations in the region. And the family holidays brigade, well, they never really took off in Thailand.

The picture doesn't look rosy any longer. There will be far more losers than winners, especially from the informal sector. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Airlines and hotels will have to slash prices to get going again and at least survive, so lots of bargains to be had once some countries re-open. However, it will take at least 2 years for tourism to get back to normal levels, and only if a vaccine has been found by then. In the meantime some airlines and many hotels will go bankrupt, so some tourist towns/islands and will resemble ghost towns with more entertainment venues, bars and restaurants closed forever. 

For the independent traveler looking for peace and quiet, this will be the optimum time - enjoy while it last.

• Like 2

My daughter in the UK has been able to trade but her trade is 30% down so she's on mere break even. Her spare cash is tight so she wants to rebuild it. She normally comes every Christmas but won't be coming this year because she's worried about the constant changes of rules by the Thai Government and the Chinese tourists who come to Thailand. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JoeMc said:

3 points..

1. The undiserable element will 'rush' back .. quality tourist possible Christmas break

2. Gov will have to impose restrictions on countries where the virus remains significant ..at point of departure

3. Do thais want tourist back before 2021?

The undesirable element won't have the cash to rush back. They will be too broke to travel for many years, just like most tourists. They will have to scrape bypass as the world economy enters a depression. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Traubert said:

Yes, and also the 1.38bn that aren't members of the CPC, who are allowed to buy what they want.

People have some strange ideas about China.

Except real estate in thailand. Am I missing something here? Foreigners aren't allowed to own land in Thailand. 

4 hours ago, Blumpie said:

The question is not "when is Thailand going to allow tourists into the country", it's "when are other countries going to allow their citizens out for holidays and then back in"?

Tourism is simply one thing right now:  Done.  

Even China won't let people out of their country to inter-mingle with every tom dick and harry and welcome them back home.  They are not going to risk another outbreak and have their entire economy shut down.  They are NOT coming to Thailand, so don't worry.

The following must occur for tourism to come back:  A vaccine, or probably sooner a suitable treatment for the disease.  When this will occur cannot be determined right now.  Vaccine in 18 months?  12 months?  Remember too, it must be widely available.  

Vaccines usually take years to be developed. Average time frame is 6 to 10 years. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

In all seriousness, there's a lot of talk in the media about buffet restaurants being banned. Sound logical to me but will Thailand be strict enough to close its buffets, including moo gatas, indefinitely?

Buffets and Chinese definitely don't mix.

• Like 2

Am not married to a thai, am here as an expat full time, dont really care about tourists.  Many "tourists" still here at my condo complex, Russians, Chinese, some Indians etc...  More will come and stay illegally for a few days or weeks, cannot stop the AirBnB's run by the Thail owners. Seem daft IMO, no swimming, no gym, cant go to beach, have to order food delivered, yet they still come for some reason. A group of 4 backpackers from Europe in their 20's just arrived 2 nights ago, came in by taxi from Koh Chang they said.  

• Thanks 1

i hope tourism have closed airport and hotels all closed next 10 year then have good live in thailand immigration understand how important falang have thailand economy and busines and thai work, if not understand have stupid but if understand change visa law normal human law not use old monkey law, and baht drop old good time rate, 1;50 has before good.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Even China won't let people out of their country to inter-mingle with every tom dick and harry and welcome them back home.  They are not going to risk another outbreak and have their entire economy shut down.  They are NOT coming to Thailand, so don't worry.

I beg to disagree.

China is testing the water this very weekend with the  Labour Day holidays. Obviously domestic, but all going well so far. If you ignore the slew of phone messages from the authorities.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

What will you achieve when asking a question like that here at TV? Do you think there are people here with info no one else have?  You'll get hundreds of posts and 99% are just rubbish. 

And yours moves to #1 on rubbish chart.

Nobody expects these type of threads to provide any insight or magic prediction. 

TV is not just about advice re specific questions such as visas. Take a chill pill.

• Thanks 2

If normal is the zillions of Chinese in every nook and cranny then I hope never. But as NCC says, people will need to recoup money first and secure a safety net before going out and about. Maybe a few years at best after a vaccine is discovered. We will first deal with second and third waves of this C-19 -24 complicated with the flu thrown in. 

5 minutes ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Im not afraid of this invisible enemy Ive lived through worse my 62 years on this planet. What on earth are people falling for!

Umm what are "worse things in my 62 years...". Please explain.

Fact is you most likely not back to Thailand for some months yet. 

I have mates in Oz with Thai family here in Thailand. Many folk in similar boat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Option #5: when tourism returns, do you think it will be the same again?

Once airlines resume normal service, the tourists will return enmasse

Of the options, I chose this since the Chinese could not care less and will rush in where angels fear to tread. And the mob that run the place will welcome them with open arms.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

And yours moves to #1 on rubbish chart.

Nobody expects these type of threads to provide any insight or magic prediction. 

TV is not just about advice re specific questions such as visas. Take a chill pill.

Im not taking this post seriously do I have to to make a comment. How you making out with the lock down everything good for you? You just riding it out listening to all the advice from the authorities I bet pocketed the 5000 baht! One of the lucky ones maybe

Just now, Mikeasq60 said:

Im not taking this post seriously do I have to to make a comment. How you making out with the lock down everything good for you? You just riding it out listening to all the advice from the authorities I bet pocketed the 5000 baht! One of the lucky ones maybe

I have read your post several times. Sadly I can't understand any remotely possibly point that your trying to make.

Just to assist wee bit. There has never been a lockdown. There is a curfew. Easy peasy. As for booze, any farang here long enough had easy supply as did Thai.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Am not married to a thai, am here as an expat full time, dont really care about tourists.  Many "tourists" still here at my condo complex, Russians, Chinese, some Indians etc...  More will come and stay illegally for a few days or weeks, cannot stop the AirBnB's run by the Thail owners. Seem daft IMO, no swimming, no gym, cant go to beach, have to order food delivered, yet they still come for some reason. A group of 4 backpackers from Europe in their 20's just arrived 2 nights ago, came in by taxi from Koh Chang they said.  

Thailand addiction is real 

• Like 1