SURVEY: When will tourism return to normal?

Scott

SURVEY: When will tourism return to normal?  

492 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

36 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

A group of 4 backpackers from Europe in their 20's just arrived 2 nights ago, came in by taxi from Koh Chang they said.  

What are you talking about. The tourists you mention did not just arrive in Thailand.

Currently foreign nationals cannot enter Thailand. Also currently very difficult to exit. Where would you have them stay.

Oh forgot your a "full time expat" ...do you get badge with that.

Your a farang on TEMPORARY permission of stay. Same as everyone. PR excluded.

Hopefully asap if the Thais know how to market it, and not impose silly impossible conditions that may well put people off for a long time.

I've got a personal interest in that My partner is in Thailand and I am stuck in Australia.

Since March 25th. 

Looking at the low risk, zero infection countries first, and making it as easy as possible for them to return could be a great way to start.

Imposed compulsory insurance coverage for covid19 (virtually impossible to get) is one massive turnoff. 

Incorporating insurance coverage into the entry fees will go a long way towards encouraging people to return. 

Reassurance, common sense, and some respect will also go a long way towards encouraging people to return....

Edited by dallen52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mbaki said:

What Xenophobic rubbish, you’ve been reading too many conspiracy theories ???? Tourism will return to normal as soon as restrictions are lifted, and this virus thing is out of the media, most of the regulars are biting at the bullet to get back here not counting the expats stranded overseas away from their families.

Totally agree. 

I would happily get on a plane tomorrow if flights start again. 

I'm stranded in Australia and my partner alone in Thailand.

I have a flight on hold.

Australia is low risk. Thailand is also very low risk.

Recommence the low risk travel options asap. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

More's the point will the price of barfines go down or up? ????

They have to go up, so the girls can make as much as before from fewer 'jobs'.

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm also OZ, recently one of the au ministers stated Australians planning o/s trips should plan on start of 2021.

You want sensible entry to Thailand re rules then what do you think Australia will require for folk flying into Au.

In any event my personal opinion re international in general is that it cannot start until such time no quarantine is required both sides.

That also applies to land border entries

This ties into the bubble thinking like Australia and New Zealand are considering. 

NZ rugby team already allowed to travel to Australia. 

I still think a common sense approach could see people return from May 31st when international flights are planning to start.

God knows they need some tourists. 

But common sense and Thailand don't always go together. ????

• Like 1

Subsets of tourists will likely start returning as soon as restrictions are lifted (digital nomads, backpackers for example) but it's unlikely a lot of holiday-makers will return this summer.

It will also depend heavily on how Thailand manage entries. The UK has a lot of deaths, but the government are paying salaries so the economic fallout is less than in other places. However, if Thailand propose a covid-free certificate from UK/US/EU then 0 people will be coming from those regions despite having the capital to do so.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Umm what are "worse things in my 62 years...". Please explain.

Fact is you most likely not back to Thailand for some months yet. 

I have mates in Oz with Thai family here in Thailand. Many folk in similar boat. 

polio, measels, all the viruses past 50 years or so that originated in Asia of all places maybe H1N1 originated Mexico I beleive. Hey doc what are you doing in Thailand? You stay near Soi Cowboy and Nana alot I get the feeling thats why you in Thailand. Where are you get this not open thailand for months so I can enquire you seem like such a nice person!

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Totally agree. 

I would happily get on a plane tomorrow if flights start again. 

I'm stranded in Australia and my partner alone in Thailand.

I have a flight on hold.

Australia is low risk. Thailand is also very low risk.

Recommence the low risk travel options asap. 

If Thailand doesnt return to normal quickly big money problems for the country no denying it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

just browsing the intertubes, found seven corners insurance claims to have a travel insurance policy that covers covid if not acquired before policy date, and not traveling to areas against cdc warnings.  maybe more restrictions in the fine print?  if/when travel opens again, would expect insurers to provide some certification of coverage.

$100k coverage for 2 weeks, ex-us travel, for 50yo is under $50.  extendable to 6 mos.

https://www.americanvisitorinsurance.com/blog/visitors/travel-insurance-for-coronavirus-covid-19.asp

some countries already have covid testing certificates available.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mikeasq60 said:

If Thailand doesnt return to normal quickly big money problems for the country no denying it!

Ummm, "If Thailand doesn't return to normal quickly"

Can you give a guideline or map for Thailand to return to normal quickly...

Just a skeleton set of recommendations would get the ball rolling. Then we can build on it. 

26 minutes ago, seancbk said:

They have to go up, so the girls can make as much as before from fewer 'jobs'.

It's an interesting ecomomic conumdrum. Less tourists, less money to spend might just price themselves out of the market and make make less money. Drop the price, more custom and more money. Sadly it will be up the price again. Went over the top expensive many years ago when the Japanese came in.

Probably never, the days of coming to Thailand and thinking you've landed in paradise are long over, I guess. The reputation lingered on, but Covid 19 put a brutal stop to those lingering dreams. You can't restart something that no longer exists.

8 hours ago, TommyBlue said:

I cannot truly give one of those answers.

The one that is missing:  Tourism in Thailand was in decline pre-Covid and will continue to decline even after it 'restarts'.

I tried to retire there.  Spent 3 years and got fed up with the graft and total underhandedness of the people.  Now to go back I have to load a Thai bank account?  That'll never happen.  So yeah, another SE Asian country that actually like my $30K a year will do.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, nausea said:

Probably never, the days of coming to Thailand and thinking you've landed in paradise are long over, I guess. The reputation lingered on, but Covid 19 put a brutal stop to those lingering dreams. You can't restart something that no longer exists.

There has been so much written on pattaya springing back to life.

But your last sentence  """You can't restart something that no longer exists""" sums up the future very well. (in my humble opinion of coarse).

12 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Tourism has had it's heyday...not going to be the numbers or the fun with social distancing and facemasks...

For Thailand it is mostly sex toursim from the West and family tourism from China and India. China will start trickling and then followed by India. And for the Westerners, it is a double bonanaza - an opportunity to flee their desease infested countries and the possibility of finding a bride in the new land. Thailand should introduce a single entry 6-month tourist visa that will allow people to stay up to 6-month without leaving the country. And you will see people pouring in in search of their brides. 

Edited by Mulambana
  • Thanks 1

I strongly believe and having seen it with my own eyes tourism in Thailand has being declining for the past 3yrs!! Yes it still gets a decent volume of tourists in say Pattaya but nothing like 6yrs ago!! Alot of factors now regarding tourists returning, many simply don't have the money to travel now due to job losses etc and traveling will be the last thing on people's list!! People also afraid to fly now, probably need criteria to enter Thailand and not forgetting the high baht!! It will be awake up call for regular tourists as they will find closer more welcoming and cheaper destinations!!! 

This is not a racist slur, but ask any shop, restaurant,bar, taxi etc worker and they tell u they dislike the Indian and Chinese tourists,they don't go to eatieries ,bars, taxi's etc, it's all prepaid group tours, they never tip witch goes along way for most of thease workers! Millios of Chinese come but that money they spend stays in a certain click for better a word, nothing trickles down the economic ladder to the normal worker!! Lack of western tourists the past few years and it's quite noticable how many once vibrant places have gone by the wayside!! Sad days ahead of Thailand unless your in the golden circle!! Just my 5cent opinion!!!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mulambana said:

For Thailand it is mostly sex toursim from the West and family tourism from China and India. China will start trickling and then followed by India. And for the Westerners, it is a double bonanaza - an opportunity to flee their desease infested countries and the possibility of finding a bride in the new land. Thailand should introduce a single entry 6-month tourist visa that will allow people to stay up to 6-month without leaving the country. And you will see people pouring in in search of their brides. 

Well put.  Give people what they want.  They will come in droves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Consider that there could be a lot of people who are saving more money than normal; working from home and not going out. These people could be straight on a plane when a holiday is possible.

Totally agree, also there are many people that are, let’s say ‘comfortable’ with income and/or assets to ride out this problem. 

I know a few and generally they don’t like being restricted and they tend to be risk takers. 

The numbers will be down and the quality and average spend up (relating to the experience , not the consumer.)

I have 4 flights booked already taking opportunity of the no change fees (usually £300 a pop) and a list of other options I am considering.

Nothing different to the situation in Hong Kong a few years ago when the hotel occupancy rate dropped to 10%.

I have experienced a lot of pleasure from the tourist industry over the years and feel a duty to support it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DaLa said:

Totally agree, also there are many people that are, let’s say ‘comfortable’ with income and/or assets to ride out this problem. 

Exactly, and if you had the money, one of the first things you might do after being cooped up is to go on holiday...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Horatio Poke said:

Up, if history is anything to go by.

Lay bar,  now home in Essan ,  very busy searching internet love sites.

Buffaloes , not come back , to graze i los, for long time ..

Edited by elliss

I wonder if those who have valid non immigrant visas (or extensions) will be allowed to return before they open up to real tourists ? They really need to solve the insurance issue and I think 2 weeks in a government quarantine is a non-starter except for the most desperate to return.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joebuzz said:

I tried to retire there.  Spent 3 years and got fed up with the graft and total underhandedness of the people.  Now to go back I have to load a Thai bank account?  That'll never happen.  So yeah, another SE Asian country that actually like my $30K a year will do.

Joe. Have a look at Vietnam. They have very easy visa options esp if your prepared to travel a bit outside Vietnam.

• Like 1

response from insurance agent linked above:

The plans that cover covid-19 are the safe travels plans.  Note that you must pre-certify in the case of covid-19 coverage (that is, you call the insurance company first before seeking testing or treatment).

Safe Travels Outbound Cost Saver will cost $101 and Safe Travels Outbound will cost $118 for three months coverage with same $500,000 maximum and $250 deductible.

To purchase the Safe Travels Outbound Cost Saver plan, use the link below:
https://americanvisitorinsurance.com/trawick-international/buy-safe-travels-outbound-cost-saver.asp

To purchase the Safe Travels Outbound plan, use the link below:
https://americanvisitorinsurance.com/trawick-international/buy-safe-travels-outbound.asp

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Dublin14 said:

I strongly believe and having seen it with my own eyes tourism in Thailand has being declining for the past 3yrs!! Yes it still gets a decent volume of tourists in say Pattaya but nothing like 6yrs ago!! Alot of factors now regarding tourists returning, many simply don't have the money to travel now due to job losses etc and traveling will be the last thing on people's list!! People also afraid to fly now, probably need criteria to enter Thailand and not forgetting the high baht!! It will be awake up call for regular tourists as they will find closer more welcoming and cheaper destinations!!! 

This is not a racist slur, but ask any shop, restaurant,bar, taxi etc worker and they tell u they dislike the Indian and Chinese tourists,they don't go to eatieries ,bars, taxi's etc, it's all prepaid group tours, they never tip witch goes along way for most of thease workers! Millios of Chinese come but that money they spend stays in a certain click for better a word, nothing trickles down the economic ladder to the normal worker!! Lack of western tourists the past few years and it's quite noticable how many once vibrant places have gone by the wayside!! Sad days ahead of Thailand unless your in the golden circle!! Just my 5cent opinion!!!

Recently many tourists seem to have concentrated on a limited view of Thailand.  Bangkok or Chiang Mai and maybe a beach.  And mostly these places don't feel like they are doing well from tourism anyway.

'Western' tourists took in Chiang Rai and the western loop,  touring around Nan, villages along the Mekong, They hopped over the borders into Laos and Cambodia and didn't worry about visa issues when they wanted to return.  They trekked and visited hilltribes, canoed back into Chiang Mai.

They searched for unspoilt places and guesthouses sprang up to help them enjoy them.  Many felt Bangkok was only a  place to use and then to leave from as quickly as possible.  Often to islands and beaches where they could enjoy themselves for weeks on end.  Easier with gap years and confidence in their future when finally they returned home.

Any return of Chinese and Indian tourism will not bring back this 'normal.'

Nor will it fill the oversupply of condos and resorts in Hua Hin, Cha-am, Krabi and Pattaya that developed when long haul two week holidays became popular and cheap for well paid secure workers and the retired with pockets full of cheap baht.