Cambodia’s new puritans

geovalin

A new government department will monitor social media for images of women who, it deems, are dressed too sexily

The Cambodian government doesn’t just want to control what its citizens say and think; now it wants to control what they wear. On April 28, the Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts launched a new department, the Disciplinary and Accolade Council, which will monitor social media for images of women who, it deems, are dressed too sexily.

Heading up this new puritanical council is Culture Minister Phoeurng Sackona, the front woman of the campaign. But clearly, the initiative is being led by Prime Minister Hun Sen.

On February 17, he instructed the government’s Cambodian National Council for Women to track down online vendors and “order them to stop live-streaming until they change to proper clothes.” Dressing provocatively to sell clothes, he claimed, apparently not understanding decades of advertising, “is a violation of our culture and tradition.”

read more https://asiatimes.com/2020/05/cambodias-new-puritans/

• Sad 3

12 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

This is a "one-off" case whereby a Khmer lady who sells ladies underwear posed wearing some of her scanty examples in an ad on Facebook.

Let's hope the officials never visit a beach or swimming pool.

There were lots of ladies by the pool at my Siem Reap hotel in March wearing a lot less than the Khmer lady selling underwear.

Garden Village Guesthouse if you want to take a look for yourself Bill, pool/bar/restaurant open to everyone with money.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

There were lots of ladies by the pool at my Siem Reap hotel in March wearing a lot less than the Khmer lady selling underwear.

Garden Village Guesthouse if you want to take a look for yourself Bill, pool/bar/restaurant open to everyone with money.

Yes indeed, many ladies relaxing in swimwear poolside in hotels and at the seaside, and accepted by the authorities (no problems) BUT modelling to advertise "rousing" lingerie on social media (in this case Facebook) is not accepted. Similar to the new Thai rule banning the advertising of alcohol for sale on social media - one year imprisonment or 500,000 baht fine!!!! 

On 5/4/2020 at 7:27 PM, BritManToo said:

or even visit Angkor Wat. Im actually worried they will start to do a taliban there and destroy all those images of topless women but I guess money will hold them back.

I think hun sens wife must have walked in while he was looking at that facebook page. I cant see why else its become a national issue

Edited by phycokiller