UK shadows Italy as worst hit in Europe: virus death toll passes 28,000

rooster59

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

The truth is not repugnant. The Tory Govt ignored their own committees report that the UK was woefully unprepared for such a pandemic as this four years ago, Boris Johnson skipped 5 COBRA meetings this year at the beginning of the crisis abroad leaving a leadership vacuum and lack of urgency in his own Cabinet, the Tories declined to do anything regards lockdown, curtailing travel, testing etc despite the overwhelming evidence coming in from abroad of those countries experiencing the pandemic earlier than the UK.

The Tories are directly responsible for thousands of uneccessary deaths and must be held responsible for their multiple failures and neglect of duty to protect the public and their own workers.

It sounds like you swallowed everything in that Sunday Times report that was full of untruths and contradictions. That's what happens when you only hear what you want to hear. 

The fact you started off and finished with "The Tory government..." suggests you have a political motive, so whatever the government do will be wrong in your eyes. That's really not helpful in these times. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Presumably the same could apply to most other countries then, not just the UK. 

I absolutely agree.

In Germany until recently they did not test the dead for Covid 19. As for Asian countries, forget about it, the numbers are wholly unreliable.

The UK however is transparent and tries to do the right thing in relation to accurate reporting. I see no other country that is as transparent as the UK is. I wish Germany was this open, its media so vigilant.

Yes, mistakes were made in terms of reporting, but the UK is open about it and addressing them. Other countries do not even have this discussion!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nickmondo said:

Muppets

Glad I got out of EU when I did and came back here before the lockdown

Great move. I cancelled my Spain and US stay for 6 months and now stuck in Thailand who knows for how long. Spain and USA are desease cesspool now. Who wants to go there? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Can you highlight which parts were untrue and where the contradictions are in that report, bearing in mind it was the Tory supporting Sunday Times that published it and I’ve not heard anyone from the Gov officially refute it as of yet. 

You must have missed this then: 

Coronavirus: Government rejects Sunday Times claims in unusual 2,000-word rebuttal

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-govts-lengthy-rebuttal-to-newspaper-claims-it-sleepwalked-into-crisis-11975703

Contradictions such as accusing the government of not listening to the scientists, then saying the government took their advice from SAGE and NERVTAG (scientists). 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

It sounds like you swallowed everything in that Sunday Times report that was full of untruths and contradictions. That's what happens when you only hear what you want to hear. 

The fact you started off and finished with "The Tory government..." suggests you have a political motive, so whatever the government do will be wrong in your eyes. That's really not helpful in these times. 

OK then.....The Labour Govt.......no wait.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Real figures probably much higher sadly. The UK government has lost what little credibility it had prior to this CV19 crisis.

They have now also lied about how many tests are being carried out daily by including those which have not actually been tested.

How can anyone consider Johnson to be fit to be PM of the UK?

Real figures are 20,000 higher on deaths

Complete and utter cover up

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

You must have missed this then: 

Coronavirus: Government rejects Sunday Times claims in unusual 2,000-word rebuttal

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-govts-lengthy-rebuttal-to-newspaper-claims-it-sleepwalked-into-crisis-11975703

Contradictions such as accusing the government of not listening to the scientists, then saying the government took their advice from SAGE and NERVTAG (scientists). 

Yeah well they would say that wouldn't they.

We all saw how Johnson prevaricated in the early stages of the crisis.

Telling people that he didn't need to attend COBRA meetings does not get him off the the hook for the fact he SHOULD have been at those meetings. He is the PM. His primary job above all else is to protect the people of the UK.

Where was he during all those meetings? Oh yeah. He was on holiday. Again.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Real figures are 20,000 higher on deaths

Complete and utter cover up

All governments lie, no one knows the true fugure as not all the deaths were tested for covid-19. Seeing as 95% of all covid-19 deaths in the UK are people with multiple underlying conditions the true figure of death "from" covid-19 instead of "with" or "suspected" would a lot lower. Multiple doctors have said that 70% of those dying that have underlying medical conditions would have died this year anyway. The country is locked down and businesses will go bust for something with a very low mortality rate in healthy people.

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Yeah well they would say that wouldn't they.

We all saw how Johnson prevaricated in the early stages of the crisis.

Telling people that he didn't need to attend COBRA meetings does not get him off the the hook for the fact he SHOULD have been at those meetings. He is the PM. His primary job above all else is to protect the people of the UK.

Where was he during all those meetings? Oh yeah. He was on holiday. Again.

Spot on fella. Johnson and Cummings have been criminally negligent and with now 3 Barristers crowdfunding for private prosecutions the spurious lying blond ponce will have more serious matters on his plate instead of sprogging up females and hiding in fridges

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Spot on fella. Johnson and Cummings have been criminally negligent and with now 3 Barristers crowdfunding for private prosecutions the spurious lying blond ponce will have more serious matters on his plate instead of sprogging up females and hiding in fridges

Oh dear..................... the haters continue to hate.

.... and yet you are no more than water off a ducks back.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

I own a crematorium in the UK and in the last 3 weeks our numbers have been 137% of normal (short week with Easter Monday), 169% and 174% respectively.

Covid19 was certainly a factor ............................. would we have got them anyway this year?  

I can't answer that but I think the 'healthy' nurse and the 18 year old lad would probably not have passed through our hands in normal circumstances..

Words fail me mate. I have no idea how to respond to that and I imagine the families concerned will be worse off than anyone.

Please take care of yourself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kadilo said:

The UK was slow to react and left behind hence the supply issue. Then we have supplies sitting on planes at airports. 

Added to that the low spec advised which has since been upgraded since so many nurses and doctors died. 

Another PR  own goal Johnson giving the Sun on Sunday an exclusive about how close he came to death. We have heard enough about your experience already. 

For many front line line workers they will never get to to tell their story sadly. 

Now we have Hancock saying masks do nothing one day and Boris saying they may be “useful” the next. 

Just be honest. You didn’t want people wearing them cos you ain’t got enough to give the NHS let alone the public. 

I think you can blame the mask issue on the inept WHO, we should actually blame a lot on them. First they tell us not to close borders, then say perhaps countries are too quick to open them up. How many deaths do you think they are responsible for as governments follow their 'advice.'

But anyway, good effort on try to politicize an issue no one in the world so far was fully prepared for, many 'arguments' you use are just the same issues countries across the world are facing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

What....??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Same as in many European countries. Stupidity, ignorance, incompetence, government work...

So, everyone in the same boat.....

Edited by sungod
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Guy who actually owns a crematorium has just posted next to you.

Do you not think his post actually puts a human perspective upon all this or is your gaslighting a more positive contribution?

Just now, puchooay said:

There are so many conflicting reports and opinions on social media, in the newspapers and on tele it is difficult to really know what is right and what is wrong.

Many posts using hindsight to back their arguments. Truth is nobody knew how Covid19 was going to behave. No one knew the best way to battle it or to stop the infection rates. Nobody could possibly have planned 100%.

Some believe fase masks work while others don't. Some people believe lockdown is necessary and some don't. There are those that still think the whole thing is a conspiracy.

Blaming governments, whatever political party they may be, is simply political opinion. 

Maybe if governments had the hindsight that these,now, experts have things would have been different.

Yes we did. We had seen what had happened in China and what was happening in Italy ans Spain.

The UK government has no excuses. It should have locked down the country at the start of March.

• Like 2

Just now, Rookiescot said:

Yes we did. We had seen what had happened in China and what was happening in Italy ans Spain.

The UK government has no excuses. It should have locked down the country at the start of March.

Didn't the WHO advise countries not to do this?

8 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I own a crematorium in the UK and in the last 3 weeks our numbers have been 137% of normal (short week with Easter Monday), 169% and 174% respectively.

Covid19 was certainly a factor ............................. would we have got them anyway this year?  

I can't answer that but I think the 'healthy' nurse and the 18 year old lad would probably not have passed through our hands in normal circumstances..

The mortality rates in my county are an average of 23 covid-19 deaths per day over the length of the lockdown. The average daily death rate in the UK is 1460. Apart from deprived inner city areas of the country where there are higher deaths most of the country has not had a surge of deaths with/from/suspected of covid-19.

Seeing as 73% of those in ICU are overweight, I would say the UK needs a lot of the population to go on a diet. From what I've seen of those "healthy" people who have died some of them have been fat.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Same as in many European countries. Stupidity, ignorance, incompetence, government work...

Fair comment , hopefully these counties will look to Thailand, 

for leadership qualities ..

5 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

We used to call them "the shudder shift". They came to work at 9am to review the work of the night shift.

They "should'a" done it this way. They "should'a" done it that way. All with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

Most countries did not have the advantage of being forewarned what was going to happen. The UK did.

Utterly inexcusable. 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Once again, good use of hindsight. Well done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Cummings is reported to have been pushing the SAGE committee members for an earlier lockdown. It was SAGE that actually insisted on a delay to the lockdown. 

Johnson’s Top Aide Pushed Scientists to Back U.K. Lockdown

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-28/top-aide-to-u-k-s-johnson-pushed-scientists-to-back-lockdown

Johnson did not have to push anybody to ‘back down’, he simply needed to put the Prime back in Prime Minister.

In his speech at Greenwich he spoke of a nation ignoring the advice of medical experts and doing a ‘Clark Kent’ emerging from a ‘phone box’ ‘cape flowing’.

There is no argument that Johnson’s failed herd experiment was a deliberate and callously calculated Government policy.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, elliss said:

Fair comment , hopefully these counties will look to Thailand, 

for leadership qualities ..

They might look to the Thai people for an example of how to behave responsibly.

And if they look at the thousands of Thai individuals and businesses offering free food to those who this crisis has left with no income they might learn a lesson in compassion and humanity.

• Like 1