UK shadows Italy as worst hit in Europe: virus death toll passes 28,000

rooster59

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Nothing to do with hindsight. We could all see what was happening AT the time in China and Italy.

You said in another post most countries were not forewarned. Now you say "we all could see". Make your mind up.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Yes in January. By February WHO was recommending lockdown.

Really?

This is dated 29th February, WHO still recommending against it saying its ineffective.

https://www.who.int/news-room/articles-detail/updated-who-recommendations-for-international-traffic-in-relation-to-covid-19-outbreak

I may be wrong, but if you can show me something that contradicts this then I'd be happy to be corrected.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Guy who actually owns a crematorium has just posted next to you.

Do you not think his post actually puts a human perspective upon all this or is your gaslighting a more positive contribution?

I think the same guy wrote both posts,

Chill out mate,

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

There are so many conflicting reports and opinions on social media, in the newspapers and on tele it is difficult to really know what is right and what is wrong.

Many posts using hindsight to back their arguments. Truth is nobody knew how Covid19 was going to behave. No one knew the best way to battle it or to stop the infection rates. Nobody could possibly have planned 100%.

Some believe face masks work while others don't. Some people believe lockdown is necessary and some don't. There are those that still think the whole thing is a conspiracy.

Blaming governments, whatever political party they may be, is simply political opinion. 

Maybe if governments had the hindsight that these,now, experts have things would have been different.

Numerous Governments have demonstrated your argument is wrong.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Tens of thousands of people dying thousands dying without ever being given the option to be admitted to hospital and the medical care hospitals provide.

What’s not to hate?

What is to hate?

Exaggerations for one. Untruths for another.

Edited by puchooay
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Actually, I am more bolstered by this than critical. The fact that we are actually reporting high numbers means we are being far more honest about our numbers than many other countries. Besides we are older and fatter than many other countries so have more high risk.

Best thing that came out of the meeting yesterday was reporters starting to ask of we will ask China for reparations, which as expected got little response

It would be good if the British can be seen as honest brokers.  Honesty may be a very valuable resource for a country as the world seeks a way forward.

However, the desire for it would be confused by putting things in the hands of law firms working for financial rewards and companies looking for compensation and punishments.

2 minutes ago, puchooay said:

What is to hate?

Exaggerations for one. Untruths for another.

How about Government failed callous herd immunity experiments, Government lies and half truths wrt death rates, people dying in nursing homes and not being admitted to hospital, PEP and medical equipment shortages, Nurse and Doctor shortages?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Actually, I am more bolstered by this than critical. The fact that we are actually reporting high numbers means we are being far more honest about our numbers than many other countries. Besides we are older and fatter than many other countries so have more high risk.

Best thing that came out of the meeting yesterday was reporters starting to ask of we will ask China for reparations, which as expected got little response

Reparations from China, what nonsense is this?

China is well on its way to becoming the world’s dominant economic, military and political power, I suggest a close look at your own nation’s history with China before demanding ‘reparations’.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

How about Government failed callous herd immunity experiments, Government lies and half truths wrt death rates, people dying in nursing homes and not being admitted to hospital, PEP and medical equipment shortages, Nurse and Doctor shortages?

Who said that they are not being admitted to hospital. Plenty of spare capacity all over country because there was no surge and I doubt there will be second wave.

Anyway without any pubs open or football on this country is pile of <deleted>. Truly is the most boring country I've ever been to, even the current pandemic is not very exciting.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

The world seems full of a repugnant form of humans called "Second guessers" ! Whoever has to make any form of decision, they are damned if the do, and damned if they don,t ???? 

Wouldn,t it be a wonderful world if we were all more constructive ????

If we were restricted only to hindsight, the some slack may be due. However the government's exposure was revealed years ago and they did nothing. The very real threat of COVID became apparent last year and still they did nothing. Negligence can lead to prosecution in any other profession; I won't hold my breath, however, that Johnson, Rabb etc. will get their just desserts. 

• Like 2

03/05/2020. So 91% were over 60 and 95% have underlying multiple health condition.

Of the 21,180 reported coronavirus deaths so far in hospitals in England, 11,090 (52%) have been people aged 80 and over while 8,238 (39%) were 60-79. A further 1,691 (8%) were aged 40-59, with 150 (1%) aged 20-39 and 11 (0.05%) aged 0-19, according to NHS England.

10 hours ago, nickmondo said:

The UK Government and their medical advisors screwed it up right from the start.

Even now they have zero believability when they speak to the nation.

They need to get a grip of it, and start asking Asia for advice, because clearly they dont have a clue.

They still do not think that wearing masks makes much of a difference!  Muppets

Glad I got out of EU when I did and came back here before the lockdown

Western Europeans are too proud/stubborn to wear mouthmasks. They were also too stupid to start stocking them since januari and even gave/sold all their stocks to chinese.

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Yeah well they would say that wouldn't they.

We all saw how Johnson prevaricated in the early stages of the crisis.

Telling people that he didn't need to attend COBRA meetings does not get him off the the hook for the fact he SHOULD have been at those meetings. He is the PM. His primary job above all else is to protect the people of the UK.

Where was he during all those meetings? Oh yeah. He was on holiday. Again.

Because his advisors had advised him that the threat was only moderate. A fact conveniently overlooked by the anti-Boris brigade. 

It turns out those advisors were wrong, but that wasn't the PM's fault. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, nickmondo said:

The UK Government and their medical advisors screwed it up right from the start.

Even now they have zero believability when they speak to the nation.

They need to get a grip of it, and start asking Asia for advice, because clearly they dont have a clue.

They still do not think that wearing masks makes much of a difference!  Muppets

Glad I got out of EU when I did and came back here before the lockdown

True.

I am sure that wearing a face mask helps, so that the droplets does not fly so far. Regularly disinfecting and washing your hands also makes sense. Likewise the social contact distance.

As a personal note:

Regular flushing of the throat with "high-percentage" alcohol may also helps. The, in the UK popular lukewarm or even ice-cold beer, doesn't help much. 

Researchers have found that the virus multiplies in the throat in the first week of infection, then migrates to the lungs in the second week and can lead to serious illnesses. A nice hot tea with lemon, honey and a dash of rum in the morning and evening can help. Good luck for all.

Edited by tomacht8

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Guy who actually owns a crematorium has just posted next to you.

Do you not think his post actually puts a human perspective upon all this or is your gaslighting a more positive contribution?

You can hardly criticise. You're simply using the Covid 19 pandemic as a way to bash the Tories, because you're a Scottish Nationalist. I find that quite distasteful. 

You never seem to acknowledge the fact that the SNP have been pretty much aligned with the UK government throughout this crisis, as have the Welsh and NI governments.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tribalfusion001 said:

03/05/2020. So 91% were over 60 and 95% have underlying multiple health condition.

Of the 21,180 reported coronavirus deaths so far in hospitals in England, 11,090 (52%) have been people aged 80 and over while 8,238 (39%) were 60-79. A further 1,691 (8%) were aged 40-59, with 150 (1%) aged 20-39 and 11 (0.05%) aged 0-19, according to NHS England.

I guess we can look on the bright side, at least people aren't dying from old age or chronic illness anymore.

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

See post #23. You're wrong.

Not necessarily

1. The DM report uses "suggested" and "could"

2. It's from a former employee

3. It's the DM.

Edited by Chelseafan

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

............................. would we have got them anyway this year?  

I can't answer that but I think the 'healthy' nurse and the 18 year old lad would probably not have passed through our hands in normal circumstances..

Why can't you answer that? How long have you owned this crematorium for?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Because his advisors had advised him that the threat was only moderate. A fact conveniently overlooked by the anti-Boris brigade. 

It turns out those advisors were wrong, but that wasn't the PM's fault. 

The threat was downgraded 19/03/2020 to be no longer classified as a High consequence infectious diseases (HCID), this is still the case now. Make of it what you will, but a UK lockdown doesn't make sense if its not longer classified as HCID.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-consequence-infectious-diseases-hcid

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

The threat was downgraded 19/03/2020 to be no longer classified as a High consequence infectious diseases (HCID), this is still the case now. Make of it what you will, but a UK lockdown doesn't make sense if its not longer classified as HCID.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-consequence-infectious-diseases-hcid

As far as I understand the main difference is that with a HCID only HCID hospitals can treat. Not being a HCID means more treatment available in many more places.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

You can hardly criticise. You're simply using the Covid 19 pandemic as a way to bash the Tories, because you're a Scottish Nationalist. I find that quite distasteful. 

You never seem to acknowledge the fact that the SNP have been pretty much aligned with the UK government throughout this crisis, as have the Welsh and NI governments.  

Evidently you are not well versed on what is happening in Scotland.

I might also add that every time Nicola Sturgeon deviated from what Westminster was doing she was publicly harangued by British nationalist.

What you are basically saying is anyone who is not a tory should not be criticising  Johnson because it makes him look bad?

Really?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1