Video: Mad rush for booze - stores swamped as alcohol stocks fly off shelves in minutes!

webfact

Just popped into my local farang food supply shop, picked up pork sausages, long baguettes and 4 large bottles of San Mig Light, bliss.  No need for any panic buying.  Plenty of booze around, we need to tell the stupid sheep herd buyers to back off. 

3 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Dirty farangs not allowed to use the front door.

They had to go into compound out the back where they were hosed down by the local fire brigade and allowed to purchase one bottle of Leo for double the price.

I really do wonder why anyone would feel the need to make a comment like this.

I have neither recieved nor witnessed any such treatment of foreigners as described and would be very suprised if anyone had.

As for seeing no foreigners in the photos, why would this be suprising given the location of the shops pictured and the general ratio of thais to foreigners in the country.

Sadly one of the legacies of covid seems to be a reawakening of latent racism in all parties.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

salivating dogs hearing the bell. surprised no fighting or shooting ensued. maybe elsewhere? 

but the social distancing and the usual precautions were totally ignored and violated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

By the look of it most never made it to the shelves. Saves the shelf stackers a job !
Only to be expected after the lockdown, shop owners re-stocking

Guess you don't shop in Makro very much. It's pallet to trolley there. It never goes on shelves.

4 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

By the look of it most never made it to the shelves. Saves the shelf stackers a job !
Only to be expected after the lockdown, shop owners re-stocking

Yep. Not sure the implications were considered. Stopping it for Songkran reasons was imho a very good move but then it just got out of hand. Fortunate for me it was my birthday yesterday so I had a 'cold one' with my takeout fish dinner. When everything gets back to some semblance of normality we will look back and say... yeah.... those 12 years were crazy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mickyr55 said:

If this was at 10am the only people allowed to purchase alcohol in Makro at that time are registered business owners, so by the time normal public can buy the shelves were empty ????????

The point is that many shopping carts were already fully stacked at 10:00 and people just waited patiently till the 11 o'clock strike to pass the cashier.

47 minutes ago, Michael Hare said:

Here in Ubon there was absolutely no rush at all yesterday on Saturday morning.

Maybe because sales were still banned on Saturday? ????

Edited by Mak25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The government creates these ridiculous situations with its moronic decision making. Treat the people like children and they will behave like children. 

Military and authoritarian governments are renowned for stupid decisions because no-one holds them to account.

Look at Myanmar. Buses with doors that open into the middle of the road. Banning motorbikes in Yangon. Miles of unused roads and unused buildings in Napidaw.

Prayut...show your people some respect. Treat the people like adults and they will behave like adults!!!!

Edited by Ketyo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Watching the video when the pallet was near empty it looked like tag team wrestling with everyone in the ring! 

It was just the same during the floods, every man for himself, but never that desperate.

I can remember going to about 6 supermarkets before finding one with a few bottles of something obscure that they had left.

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

This registered business owners is a thing of the past as well as the "more than 10 liter" rule.

Never seen a buyer pass the checkout at Makro before 11 AM.

Usually I hurry to make it out before 11.

Recently I caused some raised eyebrows with the "vine winegar" at the checkout.

After some palavar with fellow staff the cashier was convinced it's non alcoholic :cheesy::cheesy:

Since long a Ritter chocolate "Rum Raisins Hazelnuts" has vanished from the shelves.

Can't remember ever having seen chocolate/confectionery with alcohol(?).

Saw it last week at Rimping in Chiang Mai, on Sale, but we didint buy it..Wifey doesnt like the taste of Ritter Sport Rum...instead we got old Christmas Ritter chocolate 2 for 89Bht.

2 hours ago, n00dle said:

I really do wonder why anyone would feel the need to make a comment like this.

I have neither recieved nor witnessed any such treatment of foreigners as described and would be very suprised if anyone had.

As for seeing no foreigners in the photos, why would this be suprising given the location of the shops pictured and the general ratio of thais to foreigners in the country.

Sadly one of the legacies of covid seems to be a reawakening of latent racism in all parties.

Were you to reach behind your left ear you should find an 'irony detection/humour switch' you can activate. This is an emergency override when you cannot obtain alcohol to perform the same function ???? 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Mad rush for booze - stores swamped as alcohol stocks fly off shelves in minutes!

A sign of the times to come... markets, restaurants, street vending & flea markets... social distancing in action.

1pm1.jpg.f328dd8e1cc433a88507c1466f1958a1.jpg

6 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

I thought that all shops had to enforce "social distancing" or they would be closed down!  These people pushing and jostling for position are just animals! No distancing, no manners, no thought for others! Sometimes I despair of the human race ????

But in a westetn country,there would have been yelling and fighting. Gauranteed.....

6 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Dirty farangs not allowed to use the front door.

They had to go into compound out the back where they were hosed down by the local fire brigade and allowed to purchase one bottle of Leo for double the price.

The wheel has turned a full circle since the days of aparthied.