Video: Mad rush for booze - stores swamped as alcohol stocks fly off shelves in minutes!

webfact

2 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Nice to see that there are plenty of people who think that booze is a priority. All while there are so many people who cant afford a meal.

Start a thread on that then ???? Seeing as this thread is about booze, thats what people are talking about

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Now who says alcohol isn't addictive????

No one,   but its a "legal drug"  that many "governments" around the world allow to be sold and reap huge amounts of money in tax from the sales  while at the same time  naturally occurring plants and extracts are deemed illegal !   :crazy:

So whats the Bobby Moore then? I was under the impression alcohol was back on yesterday (sunday) between the hours of 11-2 and 5-6 but in 7eleven at about 9pm thais were openly buying 3 packs of Leo as if all was normal! Made me think it was 1 rule for farangs and 1 for Thais

Anyhoo, if there are any fit thai sorts reading this, all those numbers are my LINE ID ???? 

1 minute ago, TigerandDog said:

Anybody notice that nobody was taking the Chang beer, just the Leo & Singha.

I would take Chang over Leo  since they both seemed to have changed something a few years ago

Leo got much worse and Chang got a bit better IMHO.

11 minutes ago, Walter Travolta said:

So whats the Bobby Moore then? I was under the impression alcohol was back on yesterday (sunday) between the hours of 11-2 and 5-6 but in 7eleven at about 9pm thais were openly buying 3 packs of Leo as if all was normal! Made me think it was 1 rule for farangs and 1 for Thais

Anyhoo, if there are any fit thai sorts reading this, all those numbers are my LINE ID ???? 

No anti farang conspiracy.  Selling hours are 11am to 2pm and 5pm to 10pm.

• Thanks 2

I just skipped to the last page of the replies. I hope I'm not making too big a fool of myself when I ask:  Has the booze ban been lifted in parts of Thailand?  Here in Buriram province, it was lifted on Sunday, May 3.  One store sold, the other was busy putting alcohol back on the shelf. Then today, Monday May 4, the ban was back.  No alcohol until June.

Edited by gunghang

Went into Tesco in Ao nang yesterday just  after 11am and the car park was nearly empty, a few scooters and maybe three cars. I had gone to get some alcohol and expected the place to be crowded however nobody in the alcohol area and only one girl on the checkout, bought my beer and scotch and out in five minutes. Same thing today at lunchtime, nobody buying beer even though cartons were prominently displayed near the checkout, methinks another exaggerated media report, not unusual.

Edited by PJPom
Spell check
  • Like 1

It reminds me of when I was a child back in the UK and helped work on a farm.  When the swill was tipped into the trough all the pigs came clammouring and pushing to get their fill.  So idiotically crazy.  I have been without any of my loved red wine I like with my meals for over a month now but I am deliberately being sensible and waiting till later this week when this stupid panic  oigs to trouhg like rush ends. 

Mind you I thought the ban on alcohol was really stupid and ognorant anyway particularly after the songkran week where at least there was some semblance of reasoning to ban the sales of it during that single week.  But there were already laws about social distancing and gatherings of more than a few people anyway so why did they not just invoke that law rather than banning the sale of alcohol ??  As someone said earlier why did they then not ban liek BBQ charcoal and BBQ foods too??  Sorry but it was ridiculaous IMHO.  Sometimes I despair at how ignorant Governments can be and no not just here in Thailand  as some of the moaners seem to claim but the far more gross stupidity and corruption we see in Washington and indeed London Governments too is even far far worse.  

Er - what happened to social distancing when they were piling on for the last few cases of LEO?

Nothing like that in Big C Chiang Rai, all very orderly.

Mind you, if I lived in Bangkok I'd probably want to stay permanently drunk too.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

This registered business owners is a thing of the past as well as the "more than 10 liter" rule.

Never seen a buyer pass the checkout at Makro before 11 AM.

Usually I hurry to make it out before 11.

Recently I caused some raised eyebrows with the "vine winegar" at the checkout.

After some palavar with fellow staff the cashier was convinced it's non alcoholic :cheesy::cheesy:

Since long a Ritter chocolate "Rum Raisins Hazelnuts" has vanished from the shelves.

Can't remember ever having seen chocolate/confectionery with alcohol(?).

Boxes of liqueur chocolates used to be very popular at Christmas in the UK:-

image.jpeg.5ee11be5348fa9c20ab85177f370025a.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chilli42 said:

So I guess I conclude from this that the financial hardship of the lock down were not that widespread.  Nice to see people have plenty of money to spend.

Wholesalers! Shopkeepers! Mom & Pop shops!

9 hours ago, Thailand said:

Pretty simple explanation, continued flip-flops form the PTB.

Agreed - if there is a spike in Covid-19 cases as a result of the failure customers to socially isolate while panic-buying the Government who make this policies only have themselves to blame.

The deliberate 'ban' of anything consumed in the privacy of ones home is utterly ridiculous and creates a situation such as this which could so easily have otherwise been avoided, a non-event.

I'll thought out knee-jerk reactions by untrained people lacking in critical thought - the Booze ban was always an extremely silly thing to implement when there are far more serious issues to tackle.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed - if there is a spike in Covid-19 cases as a result of the failure customers to socially isolate while panic-buying the Government who make this policies only have themselves to blame.

The deliberate 'ban' of anything consumed in the privacy of ones home is utterly ridiculous and creates a situation such as this which could so easily have otherwise been avoided, a non-event.

I'll thought out knee-jerk reactions by untrained people lacking in critical thought - the Booze ban was always an extremely silly thing to implement when there are far more serious issues to tackle.

I disagree about the booze ban as far as the Songkran period was concerned - it was the only way to try and control the Thais.

After 20th April the ban was unnecessary and the authorities could simply have focused on preventing group gatherings.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Er - what happened to social distancing when they were piling on for the last few cases of LEO?

Nothing like that in Big C Chiang Rai, all very orderly.

Mind you, if I lived in Bangkok I'd probably want to stay permanently drunk too.

Were u the farang that snatched two boxes of Mont Clair in front of my wife, leaving just the one box for her.

Pisss poor behaviour.

Some nonsensical posts and replies have been removed. Please be aware of the following extract from the forum rules:

Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately via the report function. We do have the ability to remove objectionable messages and will make every effort to do so if we determine that removal is necessary. Please use the report button only for posts in blatant violation of the forum rules. Misuse of the report button is not allowed. Removal is a manual process so please realize we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. Responding to objectionable messages is discouraged.

• Haha 1