Thai police warn: Enjoy a beer at home but DO NOT invite your friends or relatives round

webfact

4 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

I can understand where you are coming from but as one in my early 50s,  I see it from a younger persons viewpoint. If we had known at the beginning what we know now, the best way of dealing with this IMO would have been to let the ones who felt physically able enough to overcome the virus to carry on with life as normal whilst those with underlying health issues, the elderly, or a combination of the 2, could have made their own decisions as to how they dealt with the way they progressed. 
Imagine Johnson on the steps of Number 10 saying you have the choice, as responsible adults, to know what is best for yourself and your loved ones. The only people who would possibly oppose this are the ones who need direction in life and cannot think for themselves.
Herd immunity would get rid of the virus quicker and allow the elderly/ill to be back to normal sooner too. Those that still didnt feel comfortable going out after all that . . . up to you

I think you've hit on it. Isolating the vulnerable is the best strategy. I think the west will come to this eventually, but right now they have to first contain it to a manageable degree. When they get the numbers better under control, so as to allow contract tracing. Now, there is no way to to contract trace when there are thousands of new cases everyday. Putting the genie back into the bottle is almost impossible. The second wave is going to be brutal. And then another lock-down.

Edited by coastguard

5 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

I can understand where you are coming from but as one in my early 50s,  I see it from a younger persons viewpoint. If we had known at the beginning what we know now, the best way of dealing with this IMO would have been to let the ones who felt physically able enough to overcome the virus to carry on with life as normal whilst those with underlying health issues, the elderly, or a combination of the 2, could have made their own decisions as to how they dealt with the way they progressed. 
Imagine Johnson on the steps of Number 10 saying you have the choice, as responsible adults, to know what is best for yourself and your loved ones. The only people who would possibly oppose this are the ones who need direction in life and cannot think for themselves.
Herd immunity would get rid of the virus quicker and allow the elderly/ill to be back to normal sooner too. Those that still didnt feel comfortable going out after all that . . . up to you

Also know where you coming from, however lets not forget that in the beginning they didn't know what they were dealing with, if it was an Ebola type virus, forget it, we would have been wiped out real quick as it kills just about everyone in its path, i.e. I think 90% is the death rate.

The above said, I believe that they acted as best they could on the professional advices they received, let's not forget, politicians are not experts in this area, and yes some professionals got it wrong as we now know with stats emerging, but they acted in our best interests, albeit it has never been done before this century.

Herd immunity is good when you know what your dealing with, that said, I think you will now see herd immunity being used as the numbers fall, although they will increase again as time passes and it comes around again as they now pretty much know what they are dealing with.

If they tried herd immunity in the beginning they could have lost tens of thousands of more people, a big risk, so maybe next time round we will see herd immunity used as they have some drugs that help, although a vaccine would be best, but that takes time, could be 12-18 months, if not longer or not at all as they still haven't found vaccines for other diseases, some they have, but at least this has put the spotlight on governments all around the world, showing how vulnerable we all are, and of course our economies, so more money will now be injected into this area from all countries to hopefully produce the vaccine we require, and from what I have heard, it costs at least a billion dollars to come up with a vaccine each time,  if your successful, hence the reason governments haven't spent money in that area before, because no there are no gaurantees as well.

Im curious, how is it that COVID cant be transferred from person to person inside of supermarkets and convenience stores?   

As I read the rules, i can go into a crowded grocery store full of strangers who may or may not be infected, but i cannot invite over a friend who i have solid reason to believe isnt. 

Edited by yourauntbob
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, yourauntbob said:

Im curious, how is it that COVID cant be transferred from person to person inside of supermarkets and convenience stores?   

As I read the rules, i can go into a crowded grocery store full of strangers who may or may not be infected, but i cannot invite over a friend who i have solid reason to believe isnt. 

Probably the mistake is trying to use logic to understand these rules ????

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DJ54 said:

I like it! Do not invite friends or relatives for beer it’s a rule..

AKA No free beers today... .. sorry it’s the rule.. bye bye 

surely this mandate should be advertised in the Royal Gazette ....if it is then apparently it is a law.....at the moment it is just been dictated to......

Like I want relatives coming my house, drinking my beer ...  Puh Lease!  I'm getting to where I freak out if the telephone rings. 

On 5/4/2020 at 3:55 AM, ChipButty said:

I have no friends no problem for me 

Kinda the same with me, except I have a wife and her relatives.  Not that they have anything to do with friends, mind you.

On 5/4/2020 at 2:40 PM, webfact said:

He said the reality of the situation was that police would not raid people's homes unless there were complaints about noise or other annoyance but if police patrols heard parties they would be obliged to intervene according to the regulations. 

Thailand needs to set up "Snitch your neighbour" phone lines and web sites so the responsible Thais and report their neighbours for flaunting the rules and endangering the entire country with Covid-death. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

Thailand needs to set up "Snitch your neighbour" phone lines and web sites so the responsible Thais and report their neighbours for flaunting the rules and endangering the entire country with Covid-death. 

Yes, those types of measures worked great for Gemany in the 1940s.  I wonder why they ever got rid of them there?????

• Like 1

Just realizing that it's a Dictatorship are we?  He (Prayuth) made it perfectly clear in his address to the Nation around March 6th when he announced on National TV, Radio and online that he would be in charge of every facet of this "Emergency".  Questions ? 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 2:40 PM, webfact said:

The Thai police have warned the public not to invite friends or relatives over for a beer. 

IT Clearly said FRIENDS (more then one person)       FRIEND should be fine (one person)    :burp:

On 5/5/2020 at 7:54 AM, Greg O said:

Feliz Cinco de Mayo ! What are they thinking it's Mexican Independence day don't they know anything ? 

La Cucaracha, La Cucaracha...dadadada ! 

Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's independence day. It is not even considered a big holiday in Mexico, except in the state where there was a battle on that date. I believe Mexico's independence day is in September.

On 5/6/2020 at 9:20 AM, Damrongsak said:

Like I want relatives coming my house, drinking my beer ...  Puh Lease!  I'm getting to where I freak out if the telephone rings. 

Kinda the same with me, except I have a wife and her relatives.  Not that they have anything to do with friends, mind you.

As I said her in doors cooking me snacks or whatever I want and getting me another beer

i dont wear a mask unless i have to go into 7/11, in which case i fully support the staff and i have no wish to make their lives any more miserable than they are. On the upside, i got through today without a mask, and i blew kisses at other non-mask wearers. the happiness is palpable. im going to do it again tomorrow

Edited by Lovebucket
bad grammar