Vendors warned against selling alcohol before scheduled time

webfact

21 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Yea, after that video emerged yesterday of people grabbing boxes of beer it was said that they were taking it before 11am. My assumption was that they would take the beer and wait till 11 to buy it. Some officials’ assumption was they were buying it before 11. 

My assumption was correct. The idea of applying logic won out. 

I don't know about Makro, I don't shop there, but in the supermarkets and big chain convenience stores such as 7/11, the check out till will block any sales of alcohol outside the prescribed hours. So I suspect that Makro will be the same and that your assumption is correct.

But let us not overlook that there are plenty of other alcohol wholesalers around whose trading might not be controlled by a computer and a sales till. So it's still a worthwhile reminder. (at least in their minds it is, maybe not in everyone's)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I don't know about Makro, I don't shop there, but in the supermarkets and big chain convenience stores such as 7/11, the check out till will block any sales of alcohol outside the prescribed hours. So I suspect that Makro will be the same and that your assumption is correct.

But let us not overlook that there are plenty of other alcohol wholesalers around whose trading might not be controlled by a computer and a sales till. So it's still a worthwhile reminder. (at least in their minds it is, maybe not in everyone's)

Big chains won't sell outside of hours. Mom and pop shops usually don't care.

The video one official was talking about was clearly inside a big chain. Makro, I think. They of course wouldn't sell before 11. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Only in Thailand.  Vietnam, China, Cambodia and every other country does not treat its citizens like naughty children. 

Remember finishing a meeting and thought a beer on the way home would be nice.  The problem was it was 4:45 in the afternoon, not 5pm.   Only in Thailand do you encounter such silliness.  

Bars,restaurants and hotels sell beer all day.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Yea, after that video emerged yesterday of people grabbing boxes of beer it was said that they were taking it before 11am. My assumption was that they would take the beer and wait till 11 to buy it. Some officials’ assumption was they were buying it before 11. 

My assumption was correct. The idea of applying logic won out. 

No need to assume. You are right. The cash registers are programmed for the specific times. 10:59 no. 11:00 yes. 1:59 yes. 2:00 not sure. 2:01 no.

Just now, dinsdale said:

No need to assume. You are right. The cash registers are programmed for the specific times. 10:59 no. 11:00 yes. 1:59 yes. 2:00 not sure. 2:01 no.

So perhaps you can explain how Makro were able to sell to me at 07:00 and Friendship at 10:50 ?

Just now, hotandsticky said:

So perhaps you can explain how Makro were able to sell to me at 07:00 and Friendship at 10:50 ?

Buying bulk use to be permitted outside the designated times not sure if it stll is otherwise not sure. Many a time I've had to wait for the clock on the register to tick over. They have scanned it but it won't register until 11:00 or 5:00.

6 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Buying bulk use to be permitted outside the designated times not sure if it still is otherwise not sure. Many a time I've had to wait for the clock on the register to tick over. They have scanned it but it won't register until 11:00 or 5:00.

It is, I did it.

But my card is a 'trader's card' so I can buy 10l + at anytime. Just scan the card, no magical adjustment to the tills.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Only in Thailand.  Vietnam, China, Cambodia and every other country does not treat its citizens like naughty children. 

Remember finishing a meeting and thought a beer on the way home would be nice.  The problem was it was 4:45 in the afternoon, not 5pm.   Only in Thailand do you encounter such silliness.  

I was in BKK late last year and fancied a late lunch

Wanted to order a steak and a bottle of red

"mai dai" said the waitress

Absolutely pathetic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

When they introduced the time restrictions for alcohol sales they made an exception for large quantities (> 12 litres, I think).  The sales made at Makro from 6 a.m. were for such large quantities and such were presumably not illegal.

That's gone since the junta took over????

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

Yes. We used to have those laws in England, and even worse in Scotland........nowt on Sundays. Thank goodness for logic!   PML

I remember working in Scotland back in the 60's pubs didnt open on a Sunday but it didn't mean you couldn't get a drink

21 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

That's gone since the junta took over????

I think if you have a license to sell licker you can buy it anytime, in makro on Sunday there was a guy infront of us with a loaded trolley well before 11 am, the wife said he must have a license 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I think if you have a license to sell licker you can buy it anytime, in makro on Sunday there was a guy infront of us with a loaded trolley well before 11 am, the wife said he must have a license 

All the signs before used to state that you could bulk purchase anytime

They've all gone now

Gawd knows why

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

When they introduced the time restrictions for alcohol sales they made an exception for large quantities (> 12 litres, I think).  The sales made at Makro from 6 a.m. were for such large quantities and such were presumably not illegal.

Both the regulations controlling alcohol sales hours and the exception for wholesale (over 10 litres) were introduced under a military government in the early 1970's. As is often the case in Thailand, the law was never repealed but enforcement waned until it was all but forgotten about. That was until the Pheu Thai government started their social order campaign under Purachai Piumsomboon in the early 2000's. Rather than going to the trouble of introducing new laws and getting them passed by parliament, it was more expedient for them to simply demand enforcement of the existing alcohol control laws.

The social order campaign was aimed at night time activities and initially only sales after midnight were stopped but later on the police started enforcing the 2-5pm ban as well. Whether that was motivated by the drive for social order or the graft opportunities it presented to the police is hard to say.

It was the military government under Prayut that withdrew the exception for wholesalers selling over 10 litres. I don't recall exactly when but it was not long after the 2014 coup.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, johng said:
18 hours ago, webfact said:

Those who post pictures of alcoholic beverages on online media, in a manner intended to advertise them for sale, is punishable by a fine of 500,000 baht and one-year imprisonment

????:crazy:   Totally ridiculous !!!

Not really. No-one is ever fined 500,000 or jailed. Just posturing and totally meaningless.

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Brought in by Thaksin in 2004 if I remember correctly. Said it was to stop school children from buying alcohol at lunch time and after school. Complete nonsense.

Indeed. That's what they said. But between 11 and 2 is when the kids are out of school for lunch. For that reason alone it's a lie and just another insane law meant to control the people for no real purpose. And further proof of the lie is that shoppers merely have to show their ID for their age to be checked. But no, they have to implement the usual Thai-style sledgehammer to crack a nut approach.

The same minister who introduced that law also wanted to close bars at 10pm before relenting and demanding they close at midnight. I don't remember now why that didn't happen. Maybe Thaksin did a runner before it could be made law and the Minister of Purism lost his job.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oxx said:

I think that they sacked that exemption a while ago.