Flying Chiang Mai - BKK - FRA. What is required?

Barley

Hello, 

I am planning to fly around 24th Mai Chiang Mai - BKK with a local airline and then BKK - FRA with Lufthansa the same day.

Would I need some kind of fit to fly certificate?

And since I will connect at BKK I guess I don't have to worry about going into quarantine upon arrival in BKK, right?

Are there any changes in luggage? I usually carry a lot of baggage, like a25 KG and a normal sized carry-on. Has any of that changed?

Anything else one should know or be prepared for? Airlines still serving normal food?

Thanks for your comments.

Edited by Barley

You need to make sure that your domestic flight is to Suvanabhumi, which leaves Thai Aw, Thai Vietjetair and Bangkok Aw. Thai is part of STAR Alliance (as is LH) and can check through your bag, otherwise you would have to collect it and check in again. 

Fly BKK-FRA on May 24th? Strange, according to the LH website there is no (direct) flight to FRA that day, the first flight is May 25th. You now have to wear a face mask on LH-flights and self-isolate for 14 days (includes EU citizens) in Germany, all noted on the airline's website) As mentioned above, for the domestic flight better check directly with the airline.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cormanr7 said:

You need to make sure that your domestic flight is to Suvanabhumi, which leaves Thai Aw, Thai Vietjetair and Bangkok Aw. Thai is part of STAR Alliance (as is LH) and can check through your bag, otherwise you would have to collect it and check in again. 

Fly BKK-FRA on May 24th? Strange, according to the LH website there is no (direct) flight to FRA that day, the first flight is May 25th. You now have to wear a face mask on LH-flights and self-isolate for 14 days (includes EU citizens) in Germany, all noted on the airline's website) As mentioned above, for the domestic flight better check directly with the airline.

"Thai is part of STAR Alliance (as is LH) and can check through your bag, otherwise you would have to collect it and check in again."

Would it help if you could do outwards passport stuff in Chiang Mai and then an airside transfer to the Lufthansa boarding gate?

CAAT (Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand) is the body which issues the rules about what documents etc., are required and more. Much of their website in also in English. I've read before that they encourage Thais and foreigners to call them to get clarity and easy to communicate with.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

If there is an LH flight, check with the airline on boarding requirements.

I have seen likely rules for some airlines soon that include gloves as well as masks, shoe covers.

No carry on baggage, however some special items allowed such as medications etc.

Flying is likely soon going to become a new experience.

Most people remember what happened post 9/11. The next changes related to covid 19 are likely to be even more stringent.

50 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Would it help if you could do outwards passport stuff in Chiang Mai and then an airside transfer to the Lufthansa boarding gate?

Yes, that would probably help a lot. Great idea! Do you know details how to do that? 

If I buy Thai Airways and LH ticket separately, can that be done or does it have to be one ticket? 

56 minutes ago, jojothai said:

If there is an LH flight, check with the airline on boarding requirements.

I have seen likely rules for some airlines soon that include gloves as well as masks, shoe covers.

No carry on baggage, however some special items allowed such as medications etc.

Flying is likely soon going to become a new experience.

Most people remember what happened post 9/11. The next changes related to covid 19 are likely to be even more stringent.

Good point, checking direct with the departing airline(s) is a must.

54 minutes ago, Barley said:

If I buy Thai Airways and LH ticket separately, can that be done or does it have to be one ticket?

Always better to have it all on one ticket as then the airline will take care of you if your first flight is delayed and you miss the second one.  If on seperate tickets you could lose the long haul flight with no comeback.

Check the airlines' web sites regarding baggage.  Some are not allowing these large rollaboards as hand luggage as they're too unwieldy and slow everything down, preventing efficient social distancing.  LH seem to be allowing  you to check in this additional bag free however, just make sure there are no valuables, medicines etc in it.

• Like 1

Very enlightening suggestion, treetops

Always better to have it all on one ticket as then the airline will take care of you if your first flight is delayed and you miss the second one.  If on seperate tickets you could lose the long haul flight with no comeback.

Doesn't that imply buying the ticket via a travel agent rather then online??

Edited by THAIPHUKET
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, cormanr7 said:

Gets more complicated, just found out that Thai Aw does not start flying until June 1st. Might be easier to wait until early June if that fits into your schedule.

I would be surprised if Thai AW ever flys again.

40 minutes ago, THAIPHUKET said:

Doesn't that imply buying the ticket via a travel agent rather then online??

No, the airlines' websites (or online travel agents' websites) will also sell these itineraries.  This from Lufthansa for June.

image.png.241ac16a4c087860164121b1f57fa86c.png

4 hours ago, Barley said:

Yes, that would probably help a lot. Great idea! Do you know details how to do that? 

You would need a carrier which which does not end in Bkk but only has a stop to take on more pax. 

Edited by Letseng