Thais emerge to a “new world” after lockdown

snoop1130

Thais emerge to a “new world” after lockdown

By ThaiPBS World’s General Desk

000_1QY8HN.jpg

A hairdresser tends to a customer at a barber shop, which was reopened after an easing of measures to combat the spread of the COVID-19 novel coronavirus, in Bangkok on May 3, 2020. (Photo by VIVEK PRAKASH / AFP)

After falling silent for more than a month under lockdown, Lek’s hairdressing salon in Bangkok is suddenly echoing to the sound of appointment calls after Thailand began relaxing restrictions on Sunday (May 3).

Lek said she is delighted that she can finally open her business again following the stress of more than a month with absolutely no income. In fact, she’s now getting more than twice her usual number of clients, she said.

“Haircuts are a necessity because our hair grows continuously. Some clients are afraid of contracting the deadly virus, but plenty are more concerned about their looks,” said Lek, who operates a small salon in Bangkok’s Pratunam area.

Though Lek was forced to close when the lockdown was announced on March 26, the rent for her shop was not suspended. Fortunately, her relatives helped out.

The government loosened restrictions on some businesses on May 3, kick-starting the return to normal daily life after the count of new Covid-19 cases dropped significantly.

Under the new relaxed rules, outdoor markets, food stalls and restaurants outside shopping malls can reopen, while people can once again purchase booze – provided it is consumed at home. Parks, outdoor sports facilities, barbers and pet salons are also allowed to open their doors again.

Lek said she is strictly applying Covid-19 prevention measures as per government instructions. These include serving one client at a time through advance booking, only cutting and blow-drying hair, sanitising her equipment frequently, and wearing face masks.

Along with a mask, she also straps on a face shield inside the shop. Hand-sanitising gel is provided for clients while equipment such as combs and hairbrushes are cleaned after every cut. The chairs and bed are also wiped down with disinfectant before each new customer sits down.

“This adds to my burden [of time and money required for cleaning and preparation], but it’s certainly better than having the lockdown extended,” she said.

Restaurant owners and customers around the country would agree.

In Bang Khen district, just north of Lek’s shop, Voravat said he was delighted to hear eateries were allowed to reopen, but dismayed that his family could not sit down together for a meal at their local noodle shop.

Though restaurants are allowed to serve sit-in customers, seats have to be kept apart to comply with social-distancing measures.

The noodle shop can only seat one diner per table, so it was not possible for all four of us to dine there, complained Voravat.

The noodle shop’s owner agreed: “It’s ridiculous that we cannot allow more than one person to sit at a table due to the social-distancing rules, even though they [the family of four] arrived in the same car.”

Coming to a stop

People’s busy lives came to a standstill when Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha declared a nationwide state of emergency from March 26 to April 30 in a bid to control the contagion. On April 3 restrictions were tightened with a nightly curfew from 10pm to 4am, before the state of emergency was extended until May 31.

Since Thailand discovered its first Covid-19 case in January, total confirmed infections have grown to 2,988 with 54 deaths as of May 5. But this past week the new daily cases dropped to single-digits — with the exception of 18 immigrants found to be infected on Monday.

As the infection risk fell, the country entered the first phase of eased restrictions on Sunday. Authorities will now evaluate the situation for 14 days to see whether it’s safe to proceed to the next stage of reopening department stores and other businesses. Prayut, meanwhile, has issued a warning – all shops must follow the social-distancing rule strictly or they will face closure again.

Many people now feel their lives are slowly returning to normal, especially as they can finally leave their homes to get some fresh air and exercise. People flocked to public parks around the country when they reopened early on Sunday morning after being closed for more than a month.

Under the new regulations, walking, running and exercising is allowed, but team games remain prohibited.

Kannikar Kijtiwatchakul, a radio host for FM 96.5’s “Morning World Review”, said she is relieved that at least she can get back to her exercise routine.

After the parks were shut, regular jogger Kannikar tried to maintain her routine of thrice-weekly runs. Initially she jogged at a parking lot near the Suan Rot Fai Park near Chatuchak market, before being stopped by officials who claimed the space was part of the park, so she switched to running on the footpaths of the Government Complex on Chaeng Wattana Road.

She returned to Suan Rot Fai Park on Monday morning for a jog, and was reassured by the measures being taken there by officials and park users.

Before entering, people must wear a face mask, have their temperature checked and clean their hands with the sanitising gel provided. She said that park users were also obeying the social-distancing rules by making an effort to run or jog more than 2 metres apart.

“There’s a huge difference between jogging in the park and on the street. Jogging in the street is not good for your health because there’s so much dust and fumes and hardly any shade. I even injured myself once because the footpaths are so uneven,” she said.

Kannikar is now back jogging in Suan Rot Fai, and praying that people follow the rules so public parks are not ordered to shut again to halt a second stage of contagion.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thais-emerge-to-a-new-world-after-lockdown/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-05-06

25 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

said he was delighted to hear eateries were allowed to reopen

Eateries were always allowed to open , just that we can't dine-in.

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The noodle shop’s owner agreed: “It’s ridiculous that we cannot allow more than one person to sit at a table due to the social-distancing rules, even though they [the family of four] arrived in the same car.”

this is why we will all die with thailand still being a third world country; rampant, broad-based, deep stupidity

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes, clean toilets with soap and water in bars, hospitals etc,etc..... :clap2:

If you are ugly it's OK to wear a mask to look a wow.....:wub: 

Nose picking will become a thing of the past, can't do it with latex gloves on, I tried it.....:blush:

Yes.

You need that finger nail to dig and pull it out.

But, some may go hungry as they seem to like eating it.

Thanks for the info.

• Sad 2

Was driving by a food market at 6pm in Isaan last night, it looked like they don't apply the metric rule of 1.5 metres there, it looked more like 1.5cm, so many people and so squishy, good place to spread it.

Cops nowhere to be seen, obviously not interested, oh well, it is the land of smiles, did someone say, little up top ?

• Like 2

Today in Chiang Rai, I was eating ( not takeaway ) with my GF in a Japanese restaurant. That's been going on there for two weeks, so lockdown requirements are either not being enforced, or are at the whim of individual governors.

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Was driving by a food market at 6pm in Isaan last night, it looked like they don't apply the metric rule of 1.5 metres there, it looked more like 1.5cm, so many people and so squishy, good place to spread it.

Cops nowhere to be seen, obviously not interested, oh well, it is the land of smiles, did someone say, little up top ?

"cops nowhere to be seen" at 6pm....come on now you know it,s gin kaow time   :cheesy:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, transam said:

Nose picking will become a thing of the past, can't do it with latex gloves on, I tried it.....:blush:

they lift the mask to nose pick/sneeze/cough...see it often.

12 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

It's been like that all along in Issan. Neither have we bothered with masks up here. I've been out walking unmasked and unmolested everyday. And have you noticed how few cases of Covid 19 there have been in the region? In Muaeng Sakon Nakhon, where we live, there has been just 1. 

You cannot judge what's been happening in Issan by 'driving by'.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

how long until i can eat kfc in big c ?

Not until you  recognize the significance of capital letters.

But credit due to the  diminutive usage!

Is it   Krap or  krap or  <deleted> or  <deleted>?

"Krap, krup,  Kr..ap. cra..p"

Edited by Dumbastheycome
Stupid censorship ! Kunt or c.unt !
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

As the infection risk fell, the country entered the first phase of eased restrictions on Sunday. Authorities will now evaluate the situation for 14 days to see whether it’s safe to proceed to the next stage

If they keep up the same testing regime or should I say non-testing regime it should all be fine. 

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Some clients are afraid of contracting the deadly virus, but plenty are more concerned about their looks,”

Give me vanity or give me death!   ????

28 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I was out at a Thai restaurant yesterday, sat at a table with four people, no social distancing rules, no masks required, just like old days.

Give me a sit down meal or give me death! ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Give me a sit down meal or give me death! ????

Thais here are very sensible and don't overcomplicate it, it looks like its expats running restaurants who're going overboard complying with Bangkok style divider screens and other assorted nonsense.

They're terrified they won't comply with rules and get shut down. This Thai lady was so relaxed, food was good. Very happy.

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Says it all about the brain-dead rules. Same as when I went to Tesco Lotus recently. Queueing for the temperature check with markings on the floor to keep people two metres apart, only to join a massive scrum around the fresh meat counter. Just another sign that Thais can't join the dots and have no real understanding about social distancing rules. Everything is done for show, a token effort, to no real effect other than to pretend they are doing 'the right thing'. Unless it's too difficult to do properly, too much effort, then they don't bother.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Logosone said:

It's Bangkok going overboard. I was out at a Thai restaurant yesterday, sat at a table with four people, no social distancing rules, no masks required, just like old days. I will definitely boycott any restaurant where I can't eat like normal, sit like normal and behave like normal. They'll never see my custom again, plenty of places to choose from.

Also afterwards went shopping, no mask and nobody said anything.

Maybe people are more relaxed in the North. Looks like Bangkok is going overboard.

I didn't get hit by a bus today. So, nobody will ever get hit by one and anyone taking precautions to avoid getting hit are worrying too much. Everyone should value their life exactly as I do mine. ????

Edited by Fex Bluse

4 hours ago, Logosone said:

Maybe people are more relaxed in the North. Looks like Bangkok is going overboard.

Guess you Reds in the North still have a rebellious streak in you..........

But when/if the second wave comes, don't complain that it's Prayuth's fault.

12 hours ago, transam said:

Yes, clean toilets with soap and water in bars, hospitals etc,etc..... :clap2:

If you are ugly it's OK to wear a mask to look a wow.....:wub: 

Ah but whose  nose?

All a  good "for  show" the reality is  guy having his  haircut has Covid, coughs into the un shielded face of the barber, wipes  his hand  all over the armrests, the cutting  tools  get sprayed with droplets= complete waste of  time. There's  no way everything will be sterilised after each customer.

It's a  complete for show farce.

They'll wear that same plastic bag round themselves for a week or  more, guaranteed.

Edited by bodga

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Says it all about the brain-dead rules. Same as when I went to Tesco Lotus recently. Queueing for the temperature check with markings on the floor to keep people two metres apart, only to join a massive scrum around the fresh meat counter. Just another sign that Thais can't join the dots and have no real understanding about social distancing rules. Everything is done for show, a token effort, to no real effect other than to pretend they are doing 'the right thing'. Unless it's too difficult to do properly, too much effort, then they don't bother.

So so correct.