Kick start the economy post Covid

Thailand

23 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes. Or, getting mortgages. Real estate is so dead changing some of the rules could be help recovery.

yes, sure, more debt is what people need.

if it was my decision nobody would be allowed to buy anything that they cannot pay cash !

Plenty of Land (farmland included) are already in the hand of foreigners by fake company's; especially from China. If Thailand would use the same concept as in Malaysia...ok. But unlimited land buying would make the land for locals unavailable due high price increases (which we have seen already since 1998!).

2 hours ago, khunjeff said:

That's leasing, not buying.

It is not leasing, as you have to pay the complete regular market price of the property up front. You may call it Fixed-term tenancy or tenancy for years, though even then the payment normally is on a monthly basis. Actually is is buying, and returning the property for free after these 99 years. And as such it was defined in the respective Mexican law at that time.

There are a lot of Thais owning land in the UK, Europe and Australia so fairness is not taken into account here. In Thailand we have usufruct agreements (I got a house under this agreement) that lets you do what you want with land over several decades. The Land Department doesn't like Thais signing usufruct agreements but it is legal and is useful for foreigners. I think there is info on Thai Visa.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

.......... and yet China owns Thailand.

No,they don't. Have you ever been to Cambodia? The Chinese investments in Thailand are much less than in some other countries, like in for example Laos, Cambodia and countries in Africa. The Chinese invest mostly in poor countries. 

On 5/7/2020 at 10:58 AM, Thailand said:

Allow foreigners to buy land?

I don't see how foreigners buying land will stimulate the economy. It might help in the real estate glut and slow sales market, but the overall economy? No. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Not allowing foreigners to own land is one of the most sensible laws in Thailand. Look what happens in countries like the USA and Australia where many Chinese and middle easterners own so much of the land. 

Many years ago in some remote rural areas access roads were constructed in order to make farmers lives a bit easier. The adverse effect was that developers then found those locations attractive. Farmers were tempted to sell for what seemed to be a very high price, but for the developers were very cheap. The developers got much richer and the poor villagers were left with no land to cultivate and no source of income

Hopefully, Australia has learnt its lesson with China, now new legislation to stop foreigners, especially Chinese for buying up real estate, ports, water rights and university education limits. 

10 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I don't see how foreigners buying land will stimulate the economy. It might help in the real estate glut and slow sales market, but the overall economy? No. 

Not saying I agree with the concept, but a healthy real estate market would obviously help the economy.  It's the biggest transaction of money most people have. 

3 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

It is not leasing, as you have to pay the complete regular market price of the property up front. You may call it Fixed-term tenancy or tenancy for years, though even then the payment normally is on a monthly basis. Actually is is buying, and returning the property for free after these 99 years. And as such it was defined in the respective Mexican law at that time.

That is still leasing.  You don't actually own it.  No different to many flats in the UK. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Purdey said:

There are a lot of Thais owning land in the UK, Europe and Australia so fairness is not taken into account here. In Thailand we have usufruct agreements (I got a house under this agreement) that lets you do what you want with land over several decades. The Land Department doesn't like Thais signing usufruct agreements but it is legal and is useful for foreigners. I think there is info on Thai Visa.

I think you should rethink the value of a usufruct.

7 hours ago, Yinn said:

1 billion Chinese = 2 billion rai. 

Sell them condo better, not land.

Yeah...as if every person on Earth is interested in buying land in Thailand that costs about a million times more than home.

Ok...maybe not million times but still ridiculously expensive.

Again, to answer your point.. if 7 billion ppl descend here and want to buy, the govt can always retract the law.

5 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

No matter how someone chooses to label it, it's not ownership if you're legally required to relinquish it after a set period of time - that's basically the dictionary definition of a leasehold.

As for the price, yes, the cost of a 99 year lease would usually be almost exactly the same as the cost of buying freehold, but the resale value of the lease would gradually dwindle to nothing as the decades went by. Even a 30 or 40 year lease costs almost the same as an outright purchase, but the value starts declining quickly after the first few years of the lease term.

You're correct, though, that for many people - probably most - a 99 year lease would be just fine, as it would let the purchaser and (almost certainly) his or her children live out their lives on the property. And a 999 year lease would satisfy just about anyone!

10 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Not allowing foreigners to own land is one of the most sensible laws in Thailand.

And the biggest source of trouble between Thai/Foreigner couples.

You also need to do your homework before commenting. CP foods group has bought far more farmland in rural villages than any foreigners could ever hope to.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thailand said:

I think you should rethink the value of a usufruct.

Not clear what you mean. I have the right to do what i want on this land. I cannot be told to leave or kicked out for any reason. I can knock down the house and build a new one without any obligation to revert to the original design. What is there to rethink? The value is to have a home that I can stay in for the next 30 years. Not expecting to live that long anyway.

9 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Many Thais own land and property around the world especially in the U.K.

That's because those countries allow foreign ownership. Doesn't mean Thailand has to do the same. British as well as many other nationalities can enter Thailand on 30 days visa exempt while Thai nationals have to jump through hoops in order to visit those places. The world is not a symmetric place

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Yinn said:

No.

Can buy land with company already= price to high for thai in some place. 

Sell land higher price will not improve economy. Land just be expensive.

i have land = good for me, but not good for economy and Thai people. 

Thailand have high baht because high “inflows”.

If sell the land will have more “inflows”= higher baht= I will must listen you guys complain more.

=Bad idea. 

Thai land is for Thai people. If you want be citzen= then you can buy land yourself. 

Rent land if you want.

Same other country.

No same other country. (When I read Yinns posts it makes me write Tinglish)

Thais can buy land in Europe, UK, USA etc. So why are we not treated with the same respect here? It is an insult to foreigners. What they tink we do wiv it, dig up and take it away? Me tinks Thai afraid Farang will take over the country? Most of us just want a home of our own to live in.

14 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Yes, its not like you gain anything from thai citizenship besides access to the cheap health system. They dont have to worry about millions of africans coming in as they rather go to europe for free government money.

Many foreigners married to thais would probably love citizenship here, and they would invest more money into the country once they have more security.

I think that you are right. If we were allowed to become Permanent residents for a while to prove that we plan to Sty and live in Thailand, then be given the chance to become citizens, with any property being willed to our Thai Wives, Or Thai family members. There should not be an issue. It could only benefit Thailand in the Long run. But like many others, just because it would make sense Does not mean that it would likely be done in Thailand.

15 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

I would be against anything that would give China a stronger foothold here.

they already own the vast majority of the air bnb condos in Southeast Asia and that money (beyond the purchase of the condo) goes straight back to China with no benefit to Thailand or any other country they are in. Why do I say that? I travel frequently and use air bnb regularly, in the last 3 years I have done 37 rentals with air bnb in Southeast Asia and don’t remember any that weren’t Chinese owned. 

I am against it as well. They have bought a huge chunk of the US as well. I think that every country should restrict land purchase to people committed to living there. Which would (if it were even possible here) help the country of Thailand to allow Foreigners to become citizens if they were wanting to make a permanent move to LOS.

10 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Thai afraid Farang will take over the country? Most of us just want a home of our own to live in.

Hmmm. You will try, but can not. Thai land is for Thai people.

our song.

The Siamese land well known as the golden land.
Establish this country with the great border.
Serve this homeland from clan to clan
We shall defend our native land.

Even sometimes we got attacked by the foes.
But thai people defend their motherland.
This is the land where people fight for them
Then we survive from clan to clan

This red blood shed after we die
But honor still alive and people have to pray.
Independent is pagoda to respect
We shall rise and stand together.

Protect the nation, long live sovereignty.
And we won't let, others take it away.
We shall Spray our blood until them flee 
Glory to our Siamese native homeland, Hurrah.

Farang take over Australia, USA etc. 

How are the aboriginals, native Americans now? African slaves?

Many other countrys same. Destroy the culture, the environment, make them speak English. 

Every country you take over the people suffering. 

Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia?

No thankyou.

092F83EA-AF5E-4664-84C9-14BCDF4B7FB6.jpeg

559BB3B4-5C3B-43C3-8E7A-85B0150F3FBC.jpeg