"Good news soon": Murder of German who taught English has damaged the image of Thailand, says media

webfact

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Sad that the man was killed, but to say his death was bad for the image of Thailand, is beyond funny.

The actions of police and immigration here does a lot more damage to the countries image.

The lack of sensitivity is truely staggering. I would hope that the context and translation have been poorly expressed in the OP. The levels of reporting are sadly poor (and thats being complimentary)  and plenty of spin is put on 'facts' especially by the second and third tier publications. 77kaoded, like Nanlaew, make the Sun (the notorious harbinger of utter bull in the UK) look positively erudite and factual. 

I would put this down to very poor reporting that has been highly selective with the "facts"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YetAnother said:
2 hours ago, webfact said:

and said that good news would likely follow shortly

on what basis ?? that a farang was killed ?

Germans will get their own lane at Swampy immigration...plus a beer und a bratwurst.

On 5/6/2020 at 5:26 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

I'm talking about private schools, a chums school have told them they have a week off in Oct, my school are currently saying no break in Oct. Sorry, didn't realise this thread was for the gov schools only, thankfully my kids don't have to be exposed to that.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So if a particular murder doesn't harm Thailand's image, then there wouldn't need to be a full police investigation???

Do they have a "quickie" or "mini" murder investigation when "image" isn't involved?

If Tommy Steele was still alive he would write another song. This one would be called "the Little Red Bull" ????????????????

What usually happens in cases like this depends on who has more money, the murderer, with any newly gained assets, or the victim's family. If the case goes quiet, then it's likely the former.

Edited by katana

What possible good news could come out of a grisly murder? Are they planning on resurrecting the German? It does certainly leave a blight when a teacher is killed but the guilt can often be placed at many different levels. 

3 hours ago, Oxx said:

The fact that Thailand had a non-native speaker of English teaching the language here is also damaging for Thailand's image.

Not that any of the pupils on the receiving end would've noticed. In fact, his command of English very likely was light years ahead of that of many "qualified" local teachers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

The requirement is not to speak English better, but to be able to teach English which requires being familiar with its nuances.

There is no such thing as "the Supreme Court of England", so I suspect you're lying.  (It's the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom.)

Your third paragraph is very badly punctuated to the point of utter incompetence.  (Also, not sure what the connection between reviewing documents and being proven to speak English well is.  Your logic appears to be dodgy, too.)

No skilled native English speaker would ever write "the very vast majority".

Good try, Herr Otto, but no cigar.

I would, however, agree with your implication that 90% of English people are not fit to teach their own language.

I am perfectly aware of the nuances of English.

Unfortunately you're not aware that prior to 2009 the SCUK was the Supreme Court of England and Wales.

"Prior to 1 October 2009, there were two other courts known as "the supreme court", namely the Supreme Court of England and Wales (known as "the Supreme Court of Judicature", prior to the passing and coming-into-force of the Senior Courts Act 1981), which was created in the 1870s under the Judicature Acts, and the Supreme Court of Judicature of Northern Ireland, both of which consisted of a Court of Appeal, a High Court of Justice and a Crown Court. When the provisions of the Constitutional Reform Act 2005 came into force these became known as the Senior Courts of England and Wales and the Court of Judicature of Northern Ireland respectively."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_of_the_United_Kingdom

As for English people not writing the "the very vast majority", you're obviously wrong. Again.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

At this stage equal weight is being given to the possibility that a family dispute, a woman or robbery was the reason for the slaying.

That covers most things in Thailand.

2 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

The most obvious murderer was either the butler or aliens from planet Zoid

This comment is as f, well I can't say the bomb word pity 'cause it fits, as the whole point about Thailand losing face and not about someone losing their life. Your comment is uttely contemptable. You are making fun of someone being murdered. Says heaps about the type of person you are. Keep your head down mate because that kind of attitude may see you in a similar situation.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So if a particular murder doesn't harm Thailand's image, then there wouldn't need to be a full police investigation???

Do they have a "quickie" or "mini" murder investigation when "image" isn't involved?

Sadly, that really does pretty much sum up the situation in Thailand, and it's interesting that there's always so much concern about tarnishing the image of Thailand, but the truth is that murders of foreigners in Thailand get very little press attention outside the country, as I assume they're deemed to be everyday occurrences.

It's pretty well known that Thailand is in many ways a dangerous place, so the report of yet another foreign murder or death isn't newsworthy. Besides, people will come to Thailand anyway, even knowing that getting into the wrong situation or with the wrong crowd can be lethal. 

This death does not alter thailand’s image either way....

one looks at patterns, trends, people’s recommendations or critical remarks...

things like dirty beaches, air pollution, theft/general safety data, exchange rates, vacation costs, elephant abuse, etc

"Damaged the image of Thailand"

So they are not investigating the case because a person was murdered, they are investigating it because they don't want their image to be damaged.  

This is exactly the type of thinking among the authorities that gives Thailand a bad image.

Everyone who knows Thailand knows its image has been damaged beyond repair since 2014 by the authorities.

Edited by Ketyo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The victim was a popular man with his neighbors and his death was bad for the image of Thailand said 77kaoded, thus prompting a full police investigation." Hmmm, reads wrong in my mind. What they're saying is, "Oh well, a dead farang, so sorry. Oh wait a minute, it's not doing our county's image any good....INVESTIGATE IT!!' More concerned with image than the sad and cruel death of an old man.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, flinc2020 said:

"The victim was a popular man with his neighbors and his death was bad for the image of Thailand said 77kaoded, thus prompting a full police investigation." Hmmm, reads wrong in my mind. What they're saying is, "Oh well, a dead farang, so sorry. Oh wait a minute, it's not doing our county's image any good....INVESTIGATE IT!!' More concerned with image than the sad and cruel death of an old man.

mai pen rai flinc

I'm afraid that image was tarnished beyond repair a few years back when a young couple was killed on one of the popular tourist islands and some poor, helpless labourers from a neighbouring country were framed. 

Murderis immaterial. Face is the important thing, now hand me my gold rolex watch and the keys to my Maserati. Peasants and farangs (oh, I already mentioned farangs),  please move out of the way,