Blending in.

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Possibly trying too hard? I'd avoid this American-style percentage tipping thing. It unblends you immediately as is just not in the culture there in real life (i.e away from tarty areas). Your size, dress sense, how you present yourself and default face scowls (if you wear one) can all have bearing on how well you do. But yes, now's not a great time, since we're getting the blame for the virus it seems.

I guess we are just "dirty farangs" after all.....

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Never heard a 43 year old describe themselves as 'young'.

Back in your home country no woman would look at you (with anything apart from disgust).

Thailand, land of delusion.

speaking from your own experience. your chip is rather large just leave it be at that before you start to sound like Biden. 

9 hours ago, racinkc1 said:

Avoid Thais in Thailand? Where do I go? No one really answered my question about where the strongest expat community is. Even the Expats are bothering me. They stare like they think they are Thais or something... Bloody hypocrites!! 

stay away from most of the old expats here. generally sad old men.

8 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Thais know what to expect from other Thais.....But, we're just a parade of white faces speaking multiple languages, with the mixed bag of different foibles/attitudes/demands/ temperments - and agendas.....

brilliant

Just now, mr mr said:

speaking from your own experience. your chip is rather large just leave it be at that before you start to sound like Biden. 

Over 40 is old.

By 40 you should have finished breeding, paid off most of your mortgage.

Over 40, employers don't want to hire you, women don't want to have sex with you, not even your wife.

No chip on my shoulder, just facing reality.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, BobBKK said:

I don't think I know of many Farang who find Thais very welcoming or polite.

It seems you go to the wrong places.

The pretty girls always greet me: "Welcome hansom man." And then they smile when I join them. Perfect! ???? 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Over 40 is old.

Over 40, employers don't want to hire you, women don't want to have sex with you, not even your wife.

retired. no breeding for me thanks. house back home is being rented out. wife may not like it but still does it. never said it was good though lol.

• Haha 1

I started reading from post 1 again. Seems to me you think to much, and (maybe) you read other people wrong (?) People at school behave same snobs?? If you found a gf, you would get death stare from others??? You don't want to be advised to go home.

Negative mind all the way.

All of us have walked with a thai gf, without death stare, and we survived.

You would like others to tell you, go to Cambodia for example. You don't seriously think you would be more happy there, do you??? Happiness comes from within, first.

Start work within yourself, stop complaining. Get out of your boring lifestyle asap. Start jogging. Drain your mind. Download new music, put on a headset and go out. Rent a bicycle, ride outside city limits. Say hi, where are you from? New friendships starts that way. 

Life is amazing if you embrace it. Go out more, start living.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

I find sitting in a local Thai bar and chatting to the Thais is a good one way blend in. They let regulars have a tab, can sit in the bar after closing time, jump on motorcycle with a member of staff to the nearest 7/11. The Thai couple who run my local bar even me took me to Suttisan police station last year when phone was stolen from my room. Never had a problem blending in, I'm not fluent in Thai, but I try to order what I want in Thai and if I make a mistake many times they help me out with pronounciation.

If it wasn't for their road behavior and sad lack of common sense, the Thai people would be second to none.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Interesting thread...begs the question:  Why would you want to stay in a place you are not wanted or welcomed?

We are not wanted by the Thai government, their immigration issues prove that, but I have never felt unwelcome or unwanted by the Thai people.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Never heard a 43 year old describe themselves as 'young'.

Back in your home country no woman would look at you (with anything apart from disgust).

Thailand, land of delusion.

I was pulling plenty of UK women when I was near fifty and they were in their thirties.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Age appropriate women don't feel that way... I am not attracted to 20 yr old girls and they are surely not attracted to me... 

15 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Three years now living in Thailand. as opposed to lots of visits over the years.  Year One, nightmare, didn't know how to get things done, everyone xxxxing me off.  Year 2, started to get a grip of myself and work things out, adapt and blend in.  Year three, great, would not live anywhere else. Like most things, it takes time, but if you put in the effort, stay calm (Jai Yen Yen, a great phrase that my wife uses almost every day on me), stay open minded, leave your western head in the fridge. this can be the best place to live in the World. 

Yes, apart from immigration issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, racinkc1 said:

Im just wondering if some expats find it easier to blend in in Bangkok or even Pattaya, you know, amongst the hustle and bustle of a larger city?

I have no problems in CM though the smaller the village or city and the fewer the foreigners, it is easier... if you are on an Ed visa, maybe you are learning Thai... that will help if you can speak..

10 hours ago, daveAustin said:

dress sense, how you present yourself

This is about 90% or more?

Wearing beach attire downtown? I wouldn't do that at home so why here?  

No shirt maybe OK in an Isaan village but a white singlet everywhere else is minimum. 

Visible sweat is another no no. Unless exercising.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Over 40 is old.

Didn't you say you are in your 60's and still have 20 yrs left on your mortgage?

8 hours ago, racinkc1 said:

Im just exploring my options. Of course I don't belong here, as anyone who isn't Thai or a rich tourist doesn't belong here. To suggest that I go home is, idk, being kinda negative? At least suggest Cambodia?

I'm sorry I don't follow your way of thinking, I'm not rich, I'm married to a Thai, I like living here in retirement, Thailand is my home where I belong.

There's no way I would of been here at a young age trying to make a living here by working here the wages are pitiful IMHO.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, OnTheGround said:

Negative mind all the way.

All of us have walked with a thai gf, without death stare, and we survived.

Start work within yourself, stop complaining. 

You're probably right however, its not like Im trying to be negative or complain... I was just sharing my experience and asking what others think. I got a ton of responses. You don't have to reply to my thread if you think I'm just complaining. Im glad you feel comfortable here, in Thailand, but maybe your experience isn't the same as everyone else?

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, apart from immigration issues.

fingers crossed, not such an issue. I know the system, as much as anyone can really know it, do 90 days online and only visit the place max 2 times each year.  I can cope with that.  

17 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Right now I doubt if many do.

The virus is obviously mostly a western issue now.

Thais probably think you are a big part of the problem or sick.

So, I guess do not expect much from them for the time being.

I have found this in Lotus , some move aside as quickly as poss.  Maybe a need a sticker stuck to my head saying ' Not been out of Thailand since 2005 '.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

fingers crossed, not such an issue. I know the system, as much as anyone can really know it, do 90 days online and only visit the place max 2 times each year.  I can cope with that.  

As with many things here it largely depends on what happens to you in your area as there is rarely any consistency in process and certainly not in attitude.

The way I have been treated is disgusting, I wouldnt treat a dog the way the local immigration act.

The closest I can come to an example would be the racial discrimination and feeling towards Black people in the 50's south in USA !!

The bullying and intimidation is vile and propagates the ongoing tensions and hatred for Immigration and its systems/approach.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, racinkc1 said:

OMG. I already feel awkward. But walking around with a Thai girl? Death stares you can physically feel. 

The death stares will be from Western women, they realise the competition has them beaten all ends up. Thais don't care, they just see a girl with her ATM.

I just give the stare back, with a smile on my face, just to p##s them off even more.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I was pulling plenty of UK women when I was near fifty and they were in their thirties.

Given the general level of pulchritude of UK women at that age, I don't find that statement at all surprising.

40 minutes ago, finnsk said:

I am living at the countrysite in a village with my thai wife and our good farm life. I was not comming here to make local friendships, I am here because I am retired and my money is more powerfull here also of cource my mrs is a big reason to be here. 

Thats awesome man. I hope I can find a nice girl. Im working on one right now. It still blows my mind how beautiful these girls are. No make up or jewelry. True beauty. Im starting to think us westerners are mutated or something. Im not here to make friends with anyone really. Just maybe meet a girl. I think its best for us to lay low and to be as conservative as possible. Im mean, we dont want to take over do we? Immigration will eventually crack down that much more than they already have....