UK to place all incoming travellers under 14-day quarantine: The Times

rooster59

UK to place all incoming travellers under 14-day quarantine: The Times

2020-05-08T213350Z_1_LYNXMPEG471WN_RTROPTP_4_WW2-ANNIVERSARY-BRITAIN-VICTORY-DAY.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson visits the Grave of the Unknown Warrior in Westminster Abbey, on the eve of 75th Anniversary of VE Day, in London, Britain May 7, 2020. Leon Neal/Pool via Reuters

(Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson will announce on Sunday that all travellers coming to the United Kingdom will be quarantined for a fortnight, The Times reported.

"Passengers arriving at airports and ports including Britons returning from abroad, will have to self-isolate for 14 days," the newspaper said, adding that travellers will have to provide the address sat which they will self-isolate on arrival.

Travellers from Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man will be exempt, as will lorry drivers bringing crucial supplies, the report added.

The authorities will carry out spot checks and those found to be breaking the rules are to face fines of up to 1,000 pounds or even deportation, the report added.

According to The Times, travellers will have to fill in a digital form with details of where they plan to self-isolate themselves for the duration of the quarantine.

The measures will help reduce the "transmission of the virus as we move into the next phase of our response," the report said, citing a government source.

The measures are expected to come into force in early June.

Johnson will announce a very limited easing of Britain's coronavirus lockdown next week, adopting a cautious approach to try to ensure there is no second peak of infections.

(Reporting by Aishwarya Nair in Bengaluru; Editing by Shailesh Kuber)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-09

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

What if you're homeless and a Brit (like many of us)?

Just steal a loaf of bread and you'll be on the first boat out of there to the land down under. Oh, I forgot, I don't think they do that any more ????

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

What if you're homeless and a Brit (like many of us)?

Plenty of room in the Blackppool B and B I'm in - good cheap virus pandemic rate - though you could move in for free on the council if you're OK with living with homeless drunks next door that party all day and get arrested all night

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

i wanted to quote Britmantoo but his original post seems to have vanished. As he has told us 3 million times already, you just rock up to a National Health Hospital and they will give free bed and breakfast and treatment even as a none resident.

That would be my number on plan as well

this year i am planning returning and doing 6 months in UK and 6 month here or as near dont matter to get residency and NHS benefits again

After 25 years away time to get my feet under the table again

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, poohy said:

That would be my number on plan as well

this year i am planning returning and doing 6 months in UK and 6 month here or as near dont matter to get residency and NHS benefits again

After 25 years away time to get my feet under the table again

I'm considering that option too. Time to get the missus her U.K passport, to make travelling easier.

More options are always better, the last couple months have taught me at least that.. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Plenty of room in the Blackppool B and B I'm in - good cheap virus pandemic rate - though you could move in for free on the council if you're OK with living with homeless drunks next door that party all day and get arrested all night

I'd fit in better next door.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I'm considering that option too. Time to get the missus her U.K passport, to make travelling easier.

More options are always better, the last couple months have taught me at least that.. ????

My Mrs wont go, too many emigrants!

• Confused 1