Returning to Thailand After Expiration of Blacklist Period

9 hours ago, DFpad said:

2. I am going to make the land border crossing anyway as I need to know. I have researched the various land crossings from Malaysia and Cambodia - is there any border crossing that you would advise that may make this easier?

As you have no recent long-stay history in Thailand, the choice of border-crossing is mostly irrelevant - though I would avoid the Poipet/Aranyaprathet border from Cambodia, as they are generally unhelpful.    Your decision to come via a land-border is wise - just in case of issues.

In general, you could  be asked to show a flight-out (to anywhere) within the permitted-stay given, a hotel-booking (can be just a few-days), and 20K baht worth of cash (in any convertible-currency).   They generally only ask this of people with recent longer-stay histories - but maybe your old-ban could flag you for this treatment.

What DOES matter, is that the immigration database does not flag you as banned.  All entry points will deny-entry for this. 

Hopefully, your lawyer is correct, in which case you will be fine.  I recall old reports of banned-status not being revoked after the ban-period had passed, but they have apparently / hopefully updated this in your case. 

OP, perhaps I missed it howeverw you did not mention departure airport.

From most countries a border entry would involve transit airport. 

Eg KL. 

You could try onward flight to Thailand. 

Worst case scenario flown back to departure point at your expense.

Why not apply for tourist visa to Thailand and fly direct. 

you should be fine.  a friend was blacklisted for 2 yrs, came right back no problem, without talking to a lawyer or anything I will add.  same guy got blacklisted again and for 5 yrs the second time.  some people never learn. 

his 5 yrs has now expired and he is planning on coming back again sometime this yr.  pretty sure when he left last time they told him, "see you in five years"

if they wanted you blacklisted for life that is what you would have gotten, not just ten years.  enjoy your trip!