In leaked call, Obama describes Trump handling of virus as chaotic

rooster59

41 minutes ago, riclag said:

Doesn't anybody give sources anymore!

"By February 26, there were 60 confirmed cases in the United States, and that number was rising steadily. "We're going down, not up. We're going very substantially down, not up," Trump claimed, contradicting his own administration's health officials".

fauci said no lifestyle changes for America on feb 29th.How dire was that

https://www.today.com/video/dr-fauci-on-coronavirus-fears-no-need-to-change-lifestyle-yet-79684677616

once again, read (in this case listen) to your own linked source.

listen to the question asked at timestamp 02:40.

listen to the response. 

no need for general public to change.  at this time.  subject to change, depending on the situation.  depending on community spread.

in hindsight, probably should have moved sooner.  but with no significant transmission - at that moment in time - you'd have to argue the merits of shutting down the economy.  when is the right time?

regardless, dr. fauci is not the president.

the buck does not stop with him.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

if that were the case, why were those health briefings classified

if "it's just the flu, bro", what do they need to hide from the public?

where do you think our health experts get much of their information on a chinese epidemic?  from china?  that's why we have multiple intel agencies.

and if they were depending on only health experts for their information, why were our congressional overlords selling their stock holdings?

i'd google some stuff for ya, but china is not playing nice today.

vpn's are spotty, and for some reason microsoft's bing does not respond.

"If thats the case why were those health breifings classified"

OH just remembered not only  facts came out from that briefing, somebody from here should of told the dem,she was leaking classified info 

“This is a dangerous virus but, as health officials told us today, it still remains largely contained to mainland China,” DeGette said after the briefing". 

https://degette.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/us-health-officials-brief-lawmakers-on-spread-of-coronavirus

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, oobar said:

What Obama needs to do for the world is convince his wife to accept the vice presidential position on the Democratic ticket with Joe Biden.  It would be so pleasant to have her kind of caring and grace returned to the White House.

Perhaps you jest. You don't need a leader who looks down on half the voting public as a basket of deplorables... and someone stupid enough to say that in the middle of an election campaign.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Mick501 said:

Gonna let you in on a little secret.  I wasn't really correcting the spelling.

So that's why you made a spelling mistake in a post saying 'I corrected your spelling'.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Perhaps you jest. You don't need a leader who looks down on half the voting public as a basket of deplorables... and someone stupid enough to say that in the middle of an election campaign.

Perhaps you are a little confused.  When did Michelle Obama say -- or even indicate -- that she regarded half the voting public ''a basket of deplorables?''  You may have failed to differentiate your perception of races (which actually is kind of nice, even progressive, and maybe something all of us should do).  You must be thinking of Mrs. Clinton.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

In ancient Greece President Trump would be made a god and given the job of POTUS for eternity....and USA would be a great place forever!  ????

Wait didn't China do that with their current President for life or should I say Master

46 minutes ago, Inn Between said:

, but between the Trump administration in general and the specific mishandling of Covid-19, continuing support for Trump and the actions of those supporters has surprised me and changed my attitude. Hopefully enough Americans will have woken up enough by election time to realize that the pumpkin-faced liar must go.    

People's eyes are glued 5 hours a day to TV screen while brains are intoxicated and getting brainwashed by media and the reasoning of brain gets gradually diminished. No one thinks since the invention of TV but reacts to what he listens. 

If you see and listen to financial section of news everyday, it will scare you to death because the market will collapse tomorrow and you gonna lose every penny you have in stock. 

I quit reading the financial garbage, bought shares of good company and never even clicked my portfolio for a year.

One day I clicked my portfolio by mistake and found it was doubled in 7 figures. 

The nature of news media. It thrives by fearmongering, instigating, alienating, etc. 

You watch too much TV. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

So that's why you made a spelling mistake in a post saying 'I corrected your spelling'.

Yeah, you might wanna take another look at that post.   Close your eyes and squeeze really hard, and maybe you'll have a light bulb moment.  If not.....then I wish you well with your crusade to rid the Internet of spelling errors.    Maybe when that's eradicated, you can focus on grammar.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, candide said:

As usual, a truncated quote out of context. From the full quote below (taken from your source), it is obvious that she also considered that the pandemic may reach the US and was afraid the country would not be able to fight it with a vaccine.

"This is a dangerous virus but, as health officials told us today, it still remains largely contained to mainland China,” DeGette said after the briefing. “That said, if this does turn into some kind of pandemic situation here in the U.S. – which we hope it will not – I am concerned about the time it will take to develop a vaccine and get it distributed to the American public. While we have been able to shorten the time it takes to develop new vaccines, the time it takes to ramp up production and deliver those vaccines to the public is something that I am still very much concerned about.”

P.S.

Another interesting quote from the document you linked: "One of the challenges health agencies currently face is the availability of medical face masks, as there is only one U.S. supplier and most are manufactured in China"

Hmmmm... What was the availability of face masks when the outburst started 2 and half months later?

another interesting note.  the briefings themselves are not classified; if they were we wouldn't know about them.  it's the information that is discussed that would have some classification attached.  we civilians, though, refer to them as "classified briefings."  and just because a briefing includes classified information, that doesn't mean everything covered during the briefing is. 

we don't know whether this particular briefing would be considered "classified," it was described as closed-door, which meant restricted to certain attendees.  implies, but doesn't guarantee, the material is classified.

and yet another interesting note.  attendees at "classified" briefings will be briefed on what may be divulged to the press regarding the discussions.  the fact that the representative made a statement in no way indicates release of classified information, and was likely taken from a list of authorized talking points.

stating that the virus appears for now to be contained to mainland china would be authorized, as that was already available thru open sources.  had she divulged details not readily available, or revealed sources or methods, than she would have been violating protocols.

from an unrelated article:

"Whether Rosenstein's closed-door briefing will include classified information is unclear. Rod J. Rosenstein, then the nominee to be..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/05/18/unclear-if-rosensteins-closed-door-briefing-will-include-classified-information/

and from a related article:

"According to financial disclosure forms, Sens. Kelly Loeffler (R-Ga.), James Inhofe (R-Okla.), Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and Richard Burr (R-N.C.) each sold hundreds of thousands of dollars in stocks within days of the Senate holding a classified briefing on Jan. 24 with Trump administration officials on the threat of the coronavirus outbreak."

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/488593-four-senators-sold-stocks-before-coronavirus-threat-crashed-market

Edited by ChouDoufu
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oobar said:

Perhaps you are a little confused.  When did Michelle Obama say -- or even indicate -- that she regarded half the voting public ''a basket of deplorables?''  You may have failed to differentiate your perception of races (which actually is kind of nice, even progressive, and maybe something all of us should do).  You must be thinking of Mrs. Clinton.

Yes, I did mix it up. My apologies, but too late to edit.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bendejo said:

:cheesy:

Gold star joke of the day!

Welcome to TVF, only 2 weeks and already 79 posts.

You've been here for 20 years and all you can do is troll?

What would you consider the appropriate number of daily and weekly posts? 5.6 per day does not seem excessive considering it wouldn't take more than a few minutes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

A leak is generally purposeful. And in this case totally justified... I think it gives sane people a lift to know that Obama thinks this President is as unsuitable as we do. 

Yes, because they didn't know what Obama thought before. ????????????

• Like 1