Buying my first big bike - ninja kawasaki 250/300

ivenius

Hey, I live in Bangkok and I'm planning to buy my first "big bike", mostly for weekend trips around here and for going around the city sometimes... in the far future I'd like to take it abroad and make a bigger trip as well. Anyway, my perfect budget would be max 60k baht, but I could do 70-90k if necessary. 

After doing a lot of research apparently ninja kawasaki 250 or 300 would be perfect (that's also the engine capacity I'm looking for).

A few questions:

- Is my budget enough to get a solid 2nd hand bike like this?

- What to watch out for when buying a second hand bike? I found many forums on facebook where people or companies sell ninjas, just as an example I recently found one for 59,000 baht, from 2014, with 26,xxx miles on it. New ones are around 150k I think. What should I choose so it will not break at some point?

- Is it ok to get a green book on my name if I don't have a driving license yet? I want to make one but the department of land transportation is still closed this month.

Any suggestions from more experienced people would be really welcomed ???? Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Have owned numerous bikes from a 110cc Honda in the PI...to an 1800cc in the US...Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki...never a Harley...pure luck and intensely safe riding has kept me safe over the years...

How old are you?  How much biking experience do you have?  How much healthcare coverage do you have?  Do you have a living will?  Not trying to be cute...these are questions every biker should be able to consider when buying a bike...especially in Thailand.

My first Thai MC license goes back to the late 1960s...I am going to assume you are a safe driver and observe all Thai rules of the road...you may be the only driver that you encounter that does!

Many online sites to view used MCs in Thailand...there may be a MC club in your area that can help with pricing...my experience a Honda is almost indestructible if regular maintenance is observed.

Good Luck!  Stay safe!

• Like 2

Well, thanks for the answer, if it matters - 27 years old, I only made ~2000km on automatic/semi bikes in Asia (+ very short training on driving manual bike), and I certainly do have a living will now that we are allowed to buy alcohol again ???? Health coverage, I have it from my work but I'd buy additional for motorbike accidents for sure. So I would basically use it to slowly keep getting experience.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Not enough power to get you in too much trouble and relatively fun to ride.

A bicycle will get you into trouble let alone a 250/300

just remember everyone else out there is trying to kill you its an arcade game your points
read the road read the traffic only open it up when you have clear sights and wiggle room should any idiot appear from a side road

Actually a lot more fun to ride than BIG bikes once you know how to use it 
Still dont get the attraction to Harleys
Think Id go Honda or Yamaha too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andy72 said:

just remember everyone else out there is trying to kill you

That has been my "Mantra" since I started riding bikes! started when I was 8 years old, I'm 65 now, served me well - so far! ????

2 hours ago, ivenius said:

Well, thanks for the answer, if it matters - 27 years old, I only made ~2000km on automatic/semi bikes in Asia (+ very short training on driving manual bike), and I certainly do have a living will now that we are allowed to buy alcohol again ???? Health coverage, I have it from my work but I'd buy additional for motorbike accidents for sure. So I would basically use it to slowly keep getting experience.

A 300cc motorcycle is a sensible step up after riding a scooter around.

Other points:

- Always ensure you get the Green Book on any motorcycle you purchase.

- You can own a motorcycle (or car) on any type of Visa.

- You need a Certificate of Residence (from Immigration) / Affirmation of Residence (from your Embassy).

- You don't need a Motorcycle or Car driving licence to own a vehicle (car or motorcycle) - Being licensed to drive is different from owning a car or motorcycle.

- Verify at the DLT that the green book matches the motorcycle (i.e. avoid a scam).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While they're not considered big bikes yet,  250 and 300 cc are very fun bikes to start with. Very easy to navigate in BKK's traffic and they have enough power for occasional countryside trips. 

With your budget, you can easily get a used Z300/Ninja 300 (60+k) or add a little bit more to afford a used MT-03/R3 (70-90k). 

Forget the cheaper Z250 as most of them, except for the latest year's model, are not ABS equipped yet. 

• Like 1

Thanks a lot! I was also checking Honda CB300R, I can get 2 - 3 years old ones for 80-90k, so cheaper than ninjas. As far as I know, ninja has sporty position so it could be difficult in longer trips.

@richard_smith23I have work permit so Certificate of Residence shouldn't be necessary. But how do I transfer the bike on my name if the seller provides the Green Book? I will need to go to DLT with a bike owner, verify the Green Book first, and then transfer my name to it? I don't need a driver license to do that, right?

Edited by ivenius

30 minutes ago, ivenius said:

Thanks a lot! I was also checking Honda CB300R, I can get 2 - 3 years old ones for 80-90k, so cheaper than ninjas. As far as I know, ninja has sporty position so it could be difficult in longer trips.

@richard_smith23I have work permit so Certificate of Residence shouldn't be necessary. But how do I transfer the bike on my name if the seller provides the Green Book? I will need to go to DLT with a bike owner, verify the Green Book first, and then transfer my name to it? I don't need a driver license to do that, right?

Z300 and MT03 riding positions are more upright, similar to what the CB300R is. 

I suggest to forget the single cylinder (CB300R) and buy the twins (MT03 or Z300) instead. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ivenius said:

What to watch out for when buying a second hand bike?

This is enough to make me think you are heading for trouble.

Not only in a purchase but ability to survive riding anything, anywhere.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

All comes to the budget. If you have no experience a 300 is fine. Especially the CBR 300r is the choice budget-wise. You will make mistakes and you'll be fairly safe. If you do mistakes on a bigger bike could not end well. This said, the 300 is not really a big bike and after a few months you will want to upgrade to at least a cbr650r. The torque, especially in the first 2 gears is VERY bad, it just feels you are driving a scooter with gears. The sound also, does not resemble a big bike, at all.

If you have the budget and want to be really happy, go for a cbr650r and ride it very slow for the first weeks.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Why not buy a yamaha X-max 300cc automatic and easy to drive big enough for two people and small enough for bkk traffic . Their are loads of them driving around looks great and goes quit fast if you want to do longer trip . I myself drive a honda Xadv just bought 3 months ago really great bike automatic fast as .... but it's a bit out of your price range  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

your budget a bit tight !!!!   Kawasaki ideal bike   very good reliable  but tend to lose money on resale, most important if buying private look at the green book how many owners. date of registration ,take care many grey/dodgy green books about in Thailand

and note when fist taxed should be same date as registration ,can look at a part on bike such as saddle /.side boxes to prove its original and not bits from donor bike.. take caution     

• Like 1

I purchaseda new HondaCBR300RA almost 2 years ago and haven't looked back. Enough speed and acceleration for this old guy, good handling and great for weaving in and out traffic. Furthest I've been is Pattaya and thoroughly enjoyed the ride. No issues with the bike, only issue was with the lady I ran over who was walking in the middle of a busy, dimly lit street at night. First time I've fallen off my bike in 15 years of riding. As others have said, use 360° vision, remain attentive and expect the unexpected and you'll love it!

21 hours ago, kekalot said:

if you are set to buy a bike in that price range, check for second hand Yamaha MT-03 (321cc), that is what I would buy

it's faster than my 500cc Honda CB500F was

Good choice, relatively light weight, enough power, perfect handling for a bike in this price range (you might want to change the front fork oil to 20 weight though), and when you have some riding experience, go for the Pirelli Diablo tires, as with those you can scratch you knee pads. Have fun and ride safe.

Edited by fxe1200

8 hours ago, ivenius said:

The newer work permits do not contain the holders address and thus cannot be used as proof of address.

I think this change has been around for a year or two now. Thus, check if your WP is one of the ones with or without your home address in it.

The safest method of carrying out the transfer is to both (you and the seller) go to the DLT to carry out the transfer.

You don't need a Car or Motorcycle licence to take ownership of a vehicle (you wont even be asked for it).

You only need a Car or Motorcycle licence to legally drive a car or ride a motorcycle.

For me you are to unexperienced. You dont want to make a shifterror on the highway so rent a wave or something until you know it 100%. The reason i tell you is because when you drive a automatic you have so much more control over the traffic than a manual. Suddenly there will be a big pothole in the road and you will try to avoid it driving left of it and suddenly a car or bike will overtake you on the left side. Thats the dangers...

• Confused 1

On 5/10/2020 at 11:49 PM, andy72 said:

A bicycle will get you into trouble let alone a 250/300

just remember everyone else out there is trying to kill you its an arcade game your points
read the road read the traffic only open it up when you have clear sights and wiggle room should any idiot appear from a side road

Actually a lot more fun to ride than BIG bikes once you know how to use it 
Still dont get the attraction to Harleys
Think Id go Honda or Yamaha too

Sorry, I did not feel the need to belabor the obvious.

On 5/10/2020 at 11:20 PM, n00dle said:

While "big"bikes they are both great starter bikes.

Not enough power to get you in too much trouble and relatively fun to ride.

Damn, that should have read "not big bikes"

9 hours ago, sead said:

For me you are to unexperienced. You dont want to make a shifterror on the highway so rent a wave or something until you know it 100%. The reason i tell you is because when you drive a automatic you have so much more control over the traffic than a manual. Suddenly there will be a big pothole in the road and you will try to avoid it driving left of it and suddenly a car or bike will overtake you on the left side. Thats the dangers...

Please!

How long does it take to shift up and down without thinking? Days? Maybe a week? After that you just do it and don't have to think about it. And you have more control about engine power with a manual bike.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2020 at 10:28 PM, ivenius said:

mostly for weekend trips around here

On 5/10/2020 at 10:28 PM, ivenius said:

ninja kawasaki 250 or 300 would be perfect (that's also the engine capacity I'm looking for)

Kawasaki-Ninja-250-2018-2-600x450.jpg

Is that what you have in mind for weekend trips? Do you take anything with you on those trips? Where will you put it?

Or do you want to make something like this out of it?

TB24WlRhV9gSKJjSspbXXbeNXXa_!!40159236.j

I think you should consider an adventure bike (300cc or even more). Because that gives you more options for some luggage.

mash_adv_400_16_01.jpg

And if you make "long" trips you don't want a vibrating one cylinder bike like others mentioned already.

I think first you should think where you want to go and what you want to take with you (luggage, the girlfriend). And then look with what kind of bike you can do that comfortably.

And then buy something not exotic which can be fixed easily anywhere you go.

I.e. I have a KTM Duke 390. Great bike for the city. But definitely not for traveling for many reasons.

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Sorry, I did not feel the need to belabor the obvious.

Actually I think you meant state the obvious, bealbor/belabour is overstating the obvious or verbally attacking another.
You meant Belabour the point of course

I hardly touched on the subject for the fool hardy a modern 250/300 is eons away from the old 250cc's
The uptake so much more

and anyone who has witnessed the dumb and inexperienced get on a bike let the throttle rip to wheelie it or smash into the nearest stationary object watched so many do it.

Or seen the hordes of tourists Western & Chinese with their bandaged legs and arms if they are fortunate and thats only the 100cc scooters automatic waves etc.

So just to balabour the point a little more expect a few tumbles pray they are the minor ones that teach you the lessons you need.

there managed to use it in its two proper contexts Oh I think you can spell it belabor but that would be that American English 
Spell it right Use it right Drive safe dont be a statistic

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, andy72 said:

Actually I think you meant state the obvious, bealbor/belabour is overstating the obvious or verbally attacking another.

actually, i meant exactly what i said.

as for british/american spellings, i suspect we have had enough pedantry for one day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, n00dle said:

i suspect we have had enough pedantry for one day.

can we ever have enough of minor nit picking 
perhaps in normal circumstances when we dont have the time or inclination for such diatribes
but this is lock down

the wife said go to your bloody computer 
i am but obedient, i think i may have been a mite pedantic with her too.
it the claustrophobia of the whole thing
there is even limited movement on here
and i wasnt being pedantic over the spelling 
tomato / tomato  potato / potato its all in the pronunciation 

apparently the case in Thai & Chinese too according to the wife
im sure she will calm down soon

likewise you with your pedestrian manner of  obsolescent vocabularies 

1 hour ago, andy72 said:

I hardly touched on the subject for the fool hardy a modern 250/300 is eons away from the old 250cc's
The uptake so much more

and anyone who has witnessed the dumb and inexperienced get on a bike let the throttle rip to wheelie it or smash into the nearest stationary object watched so many do it.

Or seen the hordes of tourists Western & Chinese with their bandaged legs and arms if they are fortunate and thats only the 100cc scooters automatic waves etc.

So just to balabour the point a little more expect a few tumbles pray they are the minor ones that teach you the lessons you need.

there managed to use it in its two proper contexts Oh I think you can spell it belabor but that would be that American English 
Spell it right Use it right Drive safe dont be a statistic

And do you think your comment will be helpful to anyone here? Do you think anybody will "listen". Or is that just the preparation for: "I told you so."?

• Like 1