Overseas withdaw money from Thai bank

10 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

I would'nt waste my time seeking it at Bangkok Bank in London,thats the reverse of what the OP requires, a big difference in direction of funds,only benefitting Thailand,of course they will help you transfer funds into Thailand,as much as they will try to prevent it going out of Thailand,also,try getting a replacement for a faulty ATM debit card from them,they tell you that you have to go to Thailand to do it!! Useless!

Well Bangkok Bank does have an outward remittance form which can be downloaded it needs to be signed by a Bangkok Bank Official , so if the op contacts Bangkok bank in London they can advise if he visits the branch can he use such a form for transferring funds from Thailand to the Uk

https://www.bangkokbank.com/-/media/files/personal/other-services/transfers/outwardremittance_app_feb2019.pdf?la=en&hash=876272C518D06C925D4B7E1E322B3FB9B8626971

Regarding your replacement faulty ATM debit card standard procedure would be to send replacement card to your home address in Thailand that's the same for most banks worldwide

1 hour ago, Jimbo53 said:

BKK BANK only charge 100 bht for overseas ATM withdrawals,just make sure you have got the daily amount covered in your banking,to cover the withdrawal amount.

Plus a 2.5% currency conversion fee.  Pretty standard for Thai bank debit cards.  Bt100 plus 2.5% foreign transaction fee/currency risk-hedge fee....that is an exchange rate that's 2.5% lower than the full card network rate.

Edited by Pib

5 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Perhaps your wife could get a power of attorney to handle your bank accounts here. Should be possible. 

Or if you don't have an ATM card for this account perhaps you could give your wife a power of attorney to sign whatever docs are needed for her to get the ATM card and then mail it to you.

This is the perfect case for Bitcoin. Signup at Localbitcoins.com or Bitkub.com and buy bitcoin via easy Thai bank transfer.

Sell bitcoins in your country via Localbitcoins and get cash via transfer or sign up for some exchange and sell. Voila. 

Once signed up and verified on L.B.C. you could literally do both trades and have cash in hand within an hour or so. 

Edited by DaveBKK

On 5/11/2020 at 5:33 PM, VBF said:

I've seen people here discussing "Dee Money" but I've never used it

I have used Dee Money to transfer to Australia and was good and fast. I transferred from my Bangkok bank to Dee Money then they transferred to Oz. At that stage I could only transfer 50,000baht from my Bangkok Bank which has now been increased to 200,000.

The problem if net transfers are not already set up with you bank I am sure you would need to attend in person to organise. I just needed to change something with Bangkok Bank, I visited my branch (where account set up), had my bank book, ATM card, Thai drivers license and colour copy of passport. Nope, needed original of passport.

Having said that I am not sure if Dee Money can send to England.

Good luck.

I have a Bangkok bank account and recently moved to the Philippines.  I was able to use my ATM card to draw down my balance.  

An issue with Bangkok Bank is the need to have an active Thai phone number.  If you want to do anything like adding a NEW transfer or changing your phone number, they will send an OTP to your Thai phone.  Similar with DeeMoney.

3 hours ago, topt said:

Transferwise are not able to send money out of Thailand. Check on their site and you will see no facility to do so. 

Can u open an online account at both thai and uk bank 

Thanks everybody for all the advice.  I shall be checking out all the suggested options and report back with my findings. 

To Pauleddy:  My money was transferred into my account in Bangkok Bank in US$ and converted to baht by Bangkok Bank.  Prior to leaving Thailand on my last visit and in view of my prediction that the very strong baht would not last, I decided to temporarily remove most of my funds from Thailand with a view to return it when the baht again collapses. On my visit to the bank, they told me that they have records of where my funds came from (i.e. not earned within Thailand ) and there should, therefore, be no restriction by Thai Central Bank to sending my funds out, but approval may take some time.  I was also told that I could expatriate baht up to 1,500,000 immediately without Central Bank approval, which I did, there and then with no problem except for bank fees of Bht1200 and their appalling rate of exchange.  Unfortunately, I forgot to ask how often I was able to do this.

Edited by Paradice lost
Correct grammar

25 minutes ago, Paradice lost said:

I was also told that I could expatriate baht up to 1,500,000 immediately without Central Bank approval, which I did, there and then with no problem except for bank fees of Bht1200 and their appalling rate of exchange.  Unfortunately, I forgot to ask how often I was able to do this.

That probably fell under the Bank of Thailand general rule allowing up to $50,000 USD (right around Bt.1.5M) per calendar year without requiring BOT approval and/or having certain docs.  More is allowed if having certain documents like repatriating funds from sale of a home where you originally brought money from the home country, investment money being repatriated,  just a bunch a money you sent over before and having docs to prove you brought the money over before, etc.

Send your Thai wife to on a trip to Thailand with your ATM card and pin number, if she does not have access at the counter. She then withdraw your remaining monies.  I think my Bangkok Bank account is set to 100,000 baht ATM withdrawal per day. Pulls are limited by the ATM machine I think AEON bank allowed they largest pull.

Convert the cash to sterling at Superrich or other money changer. When she returns to the UK she can bring the money in her carry on bag.

"Simples"

1 hour ago, Gilltom said:

Can u open an online account at both thai and uk bank 

UK - you are supposed to be a resident. If you have a UK address I think you can do it for some remotely - possibly the new "challenger" banks. Or look at a Transferwise borderless account.

Thailand - if you have an existing account it should be easy. If not you need to open that first.

My goodness. Just do a bank transfer. You can take out what you bring in. Make a call or send an email to the head office of your bank in Thailand and ask them to send you the transfer form that they may require you to sign.

Edited by chockchai12

11 hours ago, chockchai12 said:

My goodness. Just do a bank transfer. You can take out what you bring in. Make a call or send an email to the head office of your bank in Thailand and ask them to send you the transfer form that they may require you to sign.

Sure...it's that easy...no different than using your western bank--NOT!!! Thai banking policies/regulations don't allow that level of easiness.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chockchai12 said:

If you read original post he says "I have online banking but it does not include overseas transfers."

And from past experience he would need to goto his branch to fill form out. As I said above I just needed to change something with Bangkok Bank, I visited my branch (where account set up), had my bank book, ATM card, Thai drivers license and colour copy of passport. Nope, needed original of passport.

On 5/11/2020 at 5:25 PM, Paradice lost said:

Can anybody give any suggestions as to how I can persuade/instruct Bangkok Bank to transfer nearly all my money to my overseas account without personally attending the bank to complete the usual formalities. 

Just use your Thai debit card.

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Just use your Thai debit card.

For a few hundred £ maybe, for a few thousand that would be costly.

That would also depend if the OP had a Bangkok Bank debit Visa or Mastercard.

Union Pay wouldn't be of much use.

Edited by Tanoshi

I used Dee money to send money to the UK from Bangkok Bank two months ago for the first time, no problem.

Very easy to set up, only wanted my passport details.

I think there is a 800000k daily limit.

Edited by cauldlad
The money was in my UK account the same day!!

5 minutes ago, cauldlad said:

I used Dee money to send money to the UK from Bangkok Bank two months ago for the first time, no problem.

Very easy to set up, only wanted my passport details.

I think there is a 800000k daily limit.

But you physically had to visit one of their branches to show your passport to finalize setup of you DeeMoney acct.  Then a person can start doing online transfers from behind their keyboard.

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

But you physically had to visit one of their branches to show your passport to finalize setup of you DeeMoney acct.  Then a person can start doing online transfers from behind their keyboard.

I am in Chiang Mai and they wanted me to goto Bangkok to visit one of their offices in person to complete my application. I just said won't be going for a long time so cancel application. Amazing how they could then send me papers in mail to sign.

I did not visit any office!!

I set up the app and they then called me. Asked me to send a scanned copy of my passport to an email address they provided.

That was it, I then went ahead and transferred the funds from my Bangkok Bank account to the UK.

4 minutes ago, cauldlad said:

I did not visit any office!!

I set up the app and they then called me. Asked me to send a scanned copy of my passport to an email address they provided.

That was it, I then went ahead and transferred the funds from my Bangkok Bank account to the UK.

Like a lot of things in Thailand, office to office, person to person varies.

40 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

I am in Chiang Mai and they wanted me to goto Bangkok to visit one of their offices in person to complete my application. I just said won't be going for a long time so cancel application. Amazing how they could then send me papers in mail to sign.

Was that last year or so when you setup the DeeMoney acct?

I know last year they would do sign-ups via long distance....like how you did it.  But supposedly they have tightened up since....can do a most of the application via mail/email, but still required a final visit "in person."

But DeeMoney does work good....I've had an acct since mid last year....sent money to the U.S. around four times with no problem....money posted to my US banks accts within a day or so.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Was that last year or so when you setup the DeeMoney acct?

I know last year they would do sign-ups via long distance....like how you did it.  But supposedly they have tightened up since....can do a most of the application via mail/email, but still required a final visit "in person."

But DeeMoney does work good....I've had an acct since mid last year....sent money to the U.S. around four times with no problem....money posted to my US banks accts within a day or so.

I joined about July last year.

Just saying again Bitcoin. You can have your cash in hand in the U.K. or wherever in about an hour. So easy to buy bitcoin now in TH.... so easy to sell in Europe or U.S.  

2 easy methods:

- Signup on Bitkub to buy with Thai baht. Easy bank transfer

- Signup through a myriad of Exchanges in Europe to sell,... Kraken, Bitstamp, etc. Then a fast SEPA or whatever you Europeans use bank transfer to home bank acct.

or Do it all through peer to peer exchange on Localbitcoins. Only transfer with people will solid reputation scores. 

2 hours ago, DaveBKK said:

Just saying again Bitcoin. You can have your cash in hand in the U.K. or wherever in about an hour. So easy to buy bitcoin now in TH.... so easy to sell in Europe or U.S.  

2 easy methods:

- Signup on Bitkub to buy with Thai baht. Easy bank transfer

- Signup through a myriad of Exchanges in Europe to sell,... Kraken, Bitstamp, etc. Then a fast SEPA or whatever you Europeans use bank transfer to home bank acct.

or Do it all through peer to peer exchange on Localbitcoins. Only transfer with people will solid reputation score

Thanks very much for your suggestion regarding using bitcoin.  My big problem with that is that I receive several junk mail a day telling me to deal in bitcoin but, obviously, most or all of this junk mail is from scammer and I stay well clear.  My problem with following your advice is that I know virtually nothing about how to buy and sell bitcoin and even your mention of Kraken, Bitstamp and SEPA are foreign language to me.  I'm aware that bitcoin can be a very volatile investment and I have no idea of the costs and pitfalls. Is there any chance that you can you point me in any direction where to get a crash course and knowledge on this trade without spending my few remaining day or years in doing it. 

6 hours ago, Pib said:

Hi Pib.  Do you know if Dee money have offices in countries other than Thailand where if may be possible to sign up?