Medical insurance for foreigners on the cards again

webfact

10 hours ago, Pilotman said:

If you think this is bad, wait until all World governments start to recoup the economic costs incurred by Covid 19 and start to lower the massive debts being incurred right now, £500 billion in the UK's case, to date and still rising.  Prepare for massive tax rises across the board in all jurisdictions, weak western currencies, expensive air travel and hotel prices and a massive hike in all classes of insurance, Worldwide. And expect this to go on for many many years.  Welcome to the new World.  This small price to enter Thailand is a lot less that a drop in the ocean, it's nothing in comparison with what's coming.  

Don't worry - a Dutch guy told me on another forum that the EU will pay for all the unemployment and medical assistance needed to fight this pandemic... They are already creating a budget - LOL

Seriously, yes, taxes will have to go up or countries will just have to print more money, which causes inflation.  The problem is that economic activity and tax revenues will be depressed for some time as people were so scared that they are not spending anything.  I also do not see any large increases for retired people in the future as there simply won't be enough money left.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

As per usual with these government-concocted schemes.

So how will they distinguish between visiting tourists and foreign residents? Will I still have to automatically pay that embedded fee although I, a resident of some 30 years, hold a comprehensive first-class health insurance policy?

I travel very frequently for business (well, I used to before Covid). Does that mean I'll have to shoulder that compulsory fee each and every time I purchase a ticket, i.e. 12 - 15 times a year?

Rest assured, they will try to squeeze you till the pips squeak . Twelve billion Baht? They must be joking, it's just a convenient way to take from Johnny foreigner and fund the domestic health service.

2 hours ago, Traubert said:

Yes. Effortlessly.

Chinese don't travel for wine and handbags. Jade and gold perhaps.

You should have seen the Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Gucci stores in Paris, London, Tokyo and even inside China before the outbreak...  Chinese do spend on luxury items

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

The easy solution if you don't like an airport tax rate increase amounting to about 1% of your total ticket price is to choose a different destination.  If a change of $10 is going to affect your choice of destinations, I'm pretty sure you're not their target demographic anyway.

Did I say about about the airport tax u should read what people write  I was saying about the 300 baht I said it was a scam but people like u cannot see at  and the 500 baht we use to pay to leave thailand u should understand what people write maybe at a bit hard for u so get the fact right  so read what I wrote nothing can affect me not ever u? not ever 300 baht affect my distinction u are so funny why write a sentence like at to choose a different destination I was not talk about a different the conversation had not to do with destination 

• Sad 1

A while back the idea was to waive visa fees to "lure" more tourists from certain countries to Thailand. We all agree that a few bucks for a visa is, and should not, be a deciding factor or incentive in choosing a destination. But the Thai government thought otherwise. However, reverse logic would tell you that imposing additional fees of 300 baht (for whatever, be it a generic "tourism fee", a health insurance without an identifiable policy useful when needed, etc) must rate as a considerable ("major") disincentive to visit Thailand. Has nobody pointed this out to the government? TAT maybe? The hoteliers possibly? Tour operators potentially?

Edited by umlungu2012
grammar
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, umlungu2012 said:

However, reverse logic would tell you that imposing additional fees of 300 baht (for whatever, be it a generic "tourism fee", a health insurance without an identifiable policy useful when needed, etc) must rate as a considerable ("major") disincentive to visit Thailand. Has nobody pointed this out to the government? TAT maybe? The hoteliers possibly? Tour operators potentially?

If they just kept their traps shut and quietly added $10 to the cost of an incoming airline ticket, nobody would even notice.  Airline tickets go up and down by hundreds of dollars day to day, driven by airline algorithms.  A $10 change would get lost in the noise.

Referring to it as "insurance" is where they get into trouble.  It's not intended as insurance.  They still want us to get travel insurance, and to be financially responsible for our own hospital bills in case of an accident or illness.  This program is meant to cover the cost of treating foreigners who can't (or won't) pay for their treatment. 

Seems simple enough to add up all the money that the hospitals get stiffed by foreigners every year and divide it by the number of international arrivals.  Sure, responsible travelers who provide for their own insurance or cash for their treatment get a raw deal.  But that's life all around.  And adding 1-2% to the cost of an airline ticket isn't exactly punitive.

Edited by impulse

It's a tax! Here's a suggestion; charge those at the gate that don't have insurance, but those that do have it to be exempt... one should not double-insure anyway. The junta can swivel if it expects me to pay them tea money when I am already well covered.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

So how will they distinguish between visiting tourists and foreign residents? Will I still have to automatically pay that embedded fee although I, a resident of some 30 years, hold a comprehensive first-class health insurance policy?

I travel very frequently for business (well, I used to before Covid). Does that mean I'll have to shoulder that compulsory fee each and every time I purchase a ticket, i.e. 12 - 15 times a year?

Sounds like you are good for 300 Baht... Chill Out.

17 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Tourism is dead, the country is on lock down, the economy is on life support.  Government response.  Oh lets impose a tax on foreigners coming.  

61420309025365ca67c74451a409f926.jpg

Agree with you, as the £ GBP slips against the teflon coated thai baht. 

17 hours ago, Pilotman said:

fair enough. Actually, a wise measure, considering how many tourists, especially back packers and some of the younger travellers, who seem to travel with little or no insurance. 

I would happily pay more 1000 bht would be cheap and that should cover all of us. If you have to renew your visa yearly then pay 1000 yearly. There would be plenty in the kitty at that amount to cover all tourists and expats 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

etails are sketchy at the moment but the fee, if approved by the Thai Cabinet, would likely be added to the cost of the air ticket as a supplement. Visitors by sea and land would likely have to pay at the border or port. A government spokesman spoke mainly of the threat posed by the virus and the need to reduce the problem of foreigners seeking medical treatment in Thailand without proper financial cover

So does that mean foreigners would be treated for free in case of accident while on holiday?

Or this is just another "go-fund-me" scheme for the government and health care will still be charged to the foreigner?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Yes & yes

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Youlike said:

I already have a very good travel insurance, why would i pay again by my airline ticket? Getting tired of thailand and their greed.

Its a free world with many other destinations... choose one.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Quantity over quality is never a good thing, unless you are selling one dollar items at a swap meet. It just lowers the quality of the experience for all

Which is where Thailand excels.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, andy72 said:

If Thailand throws it out as a tax its fine no problems just like every other two faced conning gov from any country but if it offers a service like health insurance its like shooting yourself in the foot with a double barreled shotgun 

You would need to show where the government said they would be offering any kind of "service". Hardly valid to be using a media interpretation, but if it suits the agenda.

"A government spokesman spoke mainly of the threat posed by the virus and the need to reduce the problem of foreigners seeking medical treatment in Thailand without proper financial cover."

13 hours ago, impulse said:

If they really want an economic disaster, they should wait and see how many people fly into Thailand for expensive medical procedures, because they are covered by 300 baht insurance, after all.

You really ought to try and separate out the media rhetoric from what is actually said.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Woolsgibb60 said:

Just more scams and milking the farangs if need money just bring out more rules because they are losing money from tourists they just milk u for it maybe people on this site cannot remember the days u had to pay 500 baht to leave thailand but u are still paying at because now it in the price of the ticket there people here saying ok to pay it it's only 300 baht why should the farang pay for the tourist short fall so u come to thailand they are scamming u everyway possible and come with this bright idea to scam u for more I think tourist should take a good hard look at this country and,asking with all the scam and all the hassle thai  give tourist they got to start to wake up to this country is this worth coming here  they never do or say nice thing to make people interested to come here and make people welcome to come here they only give u negative thoughts to people because the more rules they bring out the negative thought  u are giving people  

Why do you not direct your whinging to the root cause, those that do not pay for treatment.

Simple answer, does not fit with the Thai bashing agenda.

11 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Why do you not direct your whinging to the root cause, those that do not pay for treatment.

Simple answer, does not fit with the Thai bashing agenda.

A minimal problem for which all are being blamed.  Next you will claim that the mandatory O-A insurance is because long stay visitors don't pay their bills

If they don't, they don't get their passports back 

9 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

A minimal problem for which all are being blamed.  Next you will claim that the mandatory O-A insurance is because long stay visitors don't pay their bills

If they don't, they don't get their passports back 

Only the arrogant would try and preempt what someone has to say.

Nothing new regarding the passports. In 2003 I was in Pattaya Memorial for 3 days and couldn't get discharged for about 4 hours while I tried to get money to pay the bill. Although I had insurance the hospital insisted on cash payment for return of passport.

Many come to Thailand without adequate financial or medical provision.

The O-A visa was the simplest option to test the introduction of medical insurance and something that is likely to spread in different ways as time goes bye. 

14 hours ago, Traubert said:

Yes. Effortlessly.

Chinese don't travel for wine and handbags. Jade and gold perhaps.

And overly simplistic, and utterly thoughtless reply. We were discussing Chinese with deep pockets. Jade is the last thing in the world they would be looking for in Thailand. Burma yes. The jadeite deposits found in Kachinland, in Myanmar's northern regions is the highest quality jadeite in the world, considered precious by sources in China going as far back as the 10th century. And much of that Jade is available at home, for the Chinese. However, it is a well known fact, that wealthy tourists like to spend as much as $10,000 to $100,000 per trip, on luxury items. Handbags, wallets, watches, designer clothing, jewelry, and the like. And with a draconian duty of 100%, they will not do that here. The point of the post, was to theorize about how much additional income the nation could derive from a luxury tax of 20-25%, due to a massive increase in shopping, by the wealthy. And in addition provide an incentive for wealthy tourists to begin returning to Thailand, many of which have forsaken for other destinations. 

• Like 1

Here we go again, they've just destroyed one of the best money spinners in the world and now we're back to extorting money again...... They'll be lucky to find a tourist here shortly........ What a bunch of F%^$% idiots.....   " One night in Bkk makes a hard man humble "........ My Ar#$ !  One night in Bkk makes you wonder what the F%^$#s happened here ??....... Boring, expensive and now fraught with government hurdles and land mines......  It ran for years doing a roaring trade until this load of plastic action men turned up....... Fact !   Put the bar girls in charge and it'll work....... Generals and Army, P*&% off and go play soldiers somewhere else...... 

Edited by SupermarineS6B
  • Thanks 1

Nobody can convince me that the cost to the Thai state of tourists and other foreigners reneging on their hospital bills amounts to 11bn Baht annually. Which begs the question, where does the excess go? Answers on the back of a brown envelope, please.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2020 at 9:27 PM, Misterwhisper said:

Yes, each and every ticket/entry into the country.

On 5/13/2020 at 5:27 AM, Misterwhisper said:

There are no "residents" as nobody but a select few have a "residence permit".  You have a visa extension only.