Thailand reports ZERO new COVID-19 cases

webfact

30 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

Seems highly infectious in other parts of the world. Here, not so much if you believe the reported numbers. 

Some research seems to support the hot weather theory but seems like the jury is still out on that one.

See, for example, 

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/04/experts-covid-19-pandemic-unlikely-ebb-weather-warms

I don't like jumping to conclusions without some kind of data, however it does seem that the virus is not anywhere near as infectious in countries with hot and humid climates. I appreciate we don't really know for sure but from what I have read so far and from seeing how rampant it is in cooler climates I would tend to lean towards that conclusion. Of course thats good news for the hotter climates so if you are in one thank your lucky stars. Stay safe.

18 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

Is the Western media all over this?  If not, why not?

Because they don't believe it either, and if they reported it they could be liable of reporting fake news.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

I don't like jumping to conclusions without some kind of data, however it does seem that the virus is not anywhere near as infectious in countries with hot and humid climates. I appreciate we don't really know for sure but from what I have read so far and from seeing how rampant it is in cooler climates I would tend to lean towards that conclusion. Of course thats good news for the hotter climates so if you are in one thank your lucky stars. Stay safe.

One would see that same association (between climate and numbers of cases) if it were the case that more countries with adequate testing and open reporting were in colder climates. 

1 hour ago, JCP108 said:

One would see that same association (between climate and numbers of cases) if it were the case that more countries with adequate testing and open reporting were in colder climates. 

? I my be misunderstanding you here. The countries in colder climates have done by far the most testing and as far as I can see very open reporting. The reporting so much so that the governments are getting hammered (particularly by the opposition) every single day. Like all things political people love to blame the governments for everything, in this case they just cannot win. If they locked down earlier they would be hammered for killing the economy with few reported cases, if they lock down later they get hammered for the infection and death rates... 

22 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

? I my be misunderstanding you here. The countries in colder climates have done by far the most testing and as far as I can see very open reporting. The reporting so much so that the governments are getting hammered (particularly by the opposition) every single day. Like all things political people love to blame the governments for everything, in this case they just cannot win. If they locked down earlier they would be hammered for killing the economy with few reported cases, if they lock down later they get hammered for the infection and death rates... 

No matter what one does or will do, the old adage of "Damned if you do and Damned if you don't" comes to mind.  Always someone to be critical of someone elses ideas and decisions because it affects people in many different ways....

37 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Here's another way to think about it:

Imagine you divide the world into the countries that are hot climates and those that aren't. Imagine that the infections are actually spread just as much in all countries. Imagine that in the hot country group only 10% do adequate testing and reporting and so the data for that group shows very, very low numbers. The colder group on the other hand does 90% adequate testing and is showing very high numbers. So, you would have low numbers in hot countries and high numbers in colder countries. But, the difference in the numbers wouldn't be explaining actual different rates of infections. It would be explaining different methods of testing and reporting. 

Looks like we might be living in such a world. Until we get more trustworthy methods everywhere, then we can't interpret the climate question. 

1 hour ago, JCP108 said:

Here's another way to think about it:

Imagine you divide the world into the countries that are hot climates and those that aren't. Imagine that the infections are actually spread just as much in all countries. Imagine that in the hot country group only 10% do adequate testing and reporting and so the data for that group shows very, very low numbers. The colder group on the other hand does 90% adequate testing and is showing very high numbers. So, you would have low numbers in hot countries and high numbers in colder countries. But, the difference in the numbers wouldn't be explaining actual different rates of infections. It would be explaining different methods of testing and reporting. 

Looks like we might be living in such a world. Until we get more trustworthy methods everywhere, then we can't interpret the climate question. 

I understand that, I read your post as the colder climate countries were not doing adequate testing. well although there is certainly some truth in that mainly because I think the warmer climates tend to be the ones with less money to spend on testing. In Chinas case I personally think the situation was far more then 80,000 people but they chose to lie and cover it up,,, I think half the world knows or believes that. Anyway, thw people of Thailand need to get back to work, it quite literally means people starve if they don't. stay safe..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

I think the warmer climates tend to be the ones with less money to spend on testing

I think you might be right, but the question is "why"?

Studies show that climate and diet are determinants of IQ. Again, the right question is"Why"?

3 hours ago, ParkerN said:

I think you might be right, but the question is "why"?

Studies show that climate and diet are determinants of IQ. Again, the right question is"Why"?

Natural selection. You don't survive by laying in a hammock waiting for a mango to drop in your mouth, if you have a polar bear chasing you in -45 DegC. Need to have a functioning brain to survive.

There's also a study by IBM I think about office temps and productivity, but it's not as funky a story.

11 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Natural selection. You don't survive by laying in a hammock waiting for a mango to drop in your mouth, if you have a polar bear chasing you in -45 DegC. Need to have a functioning brain to survive.

There's also a study by IBM I think about office temps and productivity, but it's not as funky a story.

Sounds logical to me. I had a small business in Thailand, it failed. It wasn't because we had no customers, we had plenty. It failed for one reason and one reason only,, staff. No matter what we did we could could not get the staff to work. Every single week without fail at least half didn't show up for a day or 3 after pay day. Work got behind, jobs and deliveries were late, payments were delayed as a consequence and in the end cash flow killed us, it was a very difficult time. I don't want to generalise but from my experience Thai people are the laziest people I have ever known and certainly the most unreliable. They tend to live day to day and work is considered an inconvenience that simply interferes with eating, drinking and sleeping. I guess this is a legacy thing from a poverty lifestyle thinking of just today, because at one time a full belly each day is all they could realistically wish for. The idea of working hard to get out of poverty seems to allude most of the working class and nobody worries about next tomorrow never mind next week, next month or next year. Big difference from the mortgage, pension attitude of most people in my home country. I can imagine people reading this and thinking ill of my ramblings but this is a truthful account of what was a very difficult time, and from other business owners this problem was not exclusive to myself, my failing was picking Thailand for my business in the first place. Nice, relaxed attitude for people who are retired, terrible if you are relying on them for work.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Let it go people. Covid is dead in Thailand. Let's get the shutdown ended and get the people back to work. Time to normalize again. Now. Tomorrow. ASAP. People are hungry. 

Sensible as always. I hope they are listening to you fella. There must be quite literally thousands of hungry bellies, young and old in Thailand right now..

On 5/13/2020 at 11:56 PM, KhaoYai said:

That is incorrect. The NHS in normal times was overloaded and underfunded due to; the increasing population, the changing demographic and developments of new treatments.

That is incorrect but actual correct :)? 

On 5/14/2020 at 2:35 AM, GAZZPA said:

Also, what on earth do you mean about self employed people not getting NHS cover or having to pay extra for it, it is a complete load of BS. Any British citizen gets free health insurance, full STOP.

Glad the NHS saved your life.

I'm stopping the discussion here. You don't even understand the basics of the UK tax system and how the NHS is staying afloat, so I'm not even going to bother.

P.S. the reason your friend had to pay 20k baht is because he wasn't insured. That's is about as dumb as driving under influence.

Complaining as to why he has to pay 20k baht boggles the mind even more...

On 5/13/2020 at 3:45 PM, yuyiinthesky said:

So they went to the hospital without Covid 19, for a totally unrelated problem, but got infected there?

Or is now everybody elderly dying in a UK hospital classified as Covid 19 death?

Unfortunately, they all went for unrelated problems and were infected there. They then became a COVID statistic. It certainly does not make the NHS look good.

On 5/13/2020 at 4:42 PM, Eibot said:

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/g_CPG.pdf

You're the one asking questions, and you demand me to look it up for you. Next time please look it up yourself. 

You said you knew it for a fact. That's not a fact, its probably just the numbers put out by the Thai government - no idea as the link doesn't work (from the UK at least). However:

A). I note from the URL that it says 'guidelines'.

B). If the link does actually provide test numbers, do you actually believe things the Thai gov say? They are not exactly well known for being either accurate or truthful on any issue.

By the way, I didn't 'demand' anything. To fairly test what you are claiming its necessary to know the exact source of your information. Had I searched for a source, I may not have located the same source as you did.

On 5/15/2020 at 5:21 PM, Eibot said:

That is incorrect but actual correct :)? 

The part that is incorrect is your claim that the 'failing' NHS is the reason that the virus is so bad in the UK.  I clearly explained that the NHS never got anywhere near full capacity during the recent peak - so how did it fail? The UK goverment's strategy in dealing with the virus is the reason UK figures are so high - the NHS has nothing to do with strategy, they deal with treatment.

18 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The part that is incorrect is your claim that the 'failing' NHS is the reason that the virus is so bad in the UK.  I clearly explained that the NHS never got anywhere near full capacity during the recent peak - so how did it fail? The UK goverment's strategy in dealing with the virus is the reason UK figures are so high - the NHS has nothing to do with strategy, they deal with treatment.

The NHS is government owned...

They are the same institution. You really think the political branch of the government is telling the medical branch of the government of how to deal with a virus pandemic. It's all in collaboration. 

18 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

You said you knew it for a fact. That's not a fact, its probably just the numbers put out by the Thai government - no idea as the link doesn't work (from the UK at least). However:

A). I note from the URL that it says 'guidelines'.

B). If the link does actually provide test numbers, do you actually believe things the Thai gov say? They are not exactly well known for being either accurate or truthful on any issue.

By the way, I didn't 'demand' anything. To fairly test what you are claiming its necessary to know the exact source of your information. Had I searched for a source, I may not have located the same source as you did.

It just shows how the criteria of being "tested". This involves an actual Covid-19 test. Not temperature. 

Do I know for a fact that the Thai government is 100% telling the truth? Obviously not. Same as we don't know anything in life as the absolute truth. 

57 minutes ago, Eibot said:

It just shows how the criteria of being "tested". This involves an actual Covid-19 test. Not temperature. 

Do I know for a fact that the Thai government is 100% telling the truth? Obviously not. Same as we don't know anything in life as the absolute truth

Gravity? 1 + 1 = ?

3 hours ago, Eibot said:

They are the same institution. You really think the political branch of the government is telling the medical branch of the government of how to deal with a virus pandemic. It's all in collaboration. 

Frankly, I don't know what the hell you're talking about. The government don't actually own anything. The NHS is an independent organisation that makes its own decisions in terms of treatment etc.

In any case, we are talking about your claim that the NHS is failing. Yes, as discussed previously, they have problems due to underfunding and constant attempts be successive governments to use 'management' measures to rectify the situation.  But in terms of Covid 19, which is the subject here, they have been on top of the situation from the start. The Nightingale hospitals built to accomodate an anticipated surge in patients have hardly been used.

Edited by KhaoYai

3 hours ago, Eibot said:

The truth is that you have no idea what the Thai government use for their criteria. If Somchai is asked to report how many tests have been performed by his local authority, does he even understand what constitutes testing?

Things in Thailand often don't work as they should - we are talking about a 'developing' nation.

Funny everyone not believing the numbers.

I personally don't know a single person here in Thailand that has even had flu symptoms - let alone COVID.

My wife and daughter did have to go and see a relative dying of cancer up on Sakhorn - on the way there, they could not get into the village without passing a police checkpoint. At that checkpoint, they had to give details of where they were staying (we have a house up there). While they where there, a nurse came and visited every day.

Not only that - they had to keep their distance from everyone in the village. 

So yeah - I can see how this has worked. 

On 5/20/2020 at 3:40 PM, KhaoYai said:

The truth is that you have no idea what the Thai government use for their criteria. If Somchai is asked to report how many tests have been performed by his local authority, does he even understand what constitutes testing?

Things in Thailand often don't work as they should - we are talking about a 'developing' nation.

Whatever I say or show, your answer will be: I don't thrust the Thai government for one bit. So there you go.

On 5/20/2020 at 3:35 PM, KhaoYai said:

Frankly, I don't know what the hell you're talking about. The government don't actually own anything. The NHS is an independent organisation that makes its own decisions in terms of treatment etc.

In any case, we are talking about your claim that the NHS is failing. Yes, as discussed previously, they have problems due to underfunding and constant attempts be successive governments to use 'management' measures to rectify the situation.  But in terms of Covid 19, which is the subject here, they have been on top of the situation from the start. The Nightingale hospitals built to accomodate an anticipated surge in patients have hardly been used.

No, the NHS is owned by the government and is a part of it. Health officials from the NHS are also a part of the COBRA meetings.

All decisions have been made.by the government. The Nightingale hospital cannot be cherry picked as if it's something that the NHS has done on its own without the government.

Both have been failing hard for years. The NHS for many and the government since a couple of years.